Shifting blade balance towards handle easily

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
TL/DR: glue a coin on the bottom of the handle.

Hello all :)

So one day I concluded, that my racket just feels too heavy, which is a shame, as it plays nicelly. The setup is:
Timo Boll Spark 94g
Xiom Vega X 50g
Yinhe Mercury 2 48g
With glue it added up to about 193-194 grams, which I felt was a bit too much. Even worse, I felt that the balance is not helping as it was head heavy, which I felt especially during bh flips (I'm not very fit unfortunatelly). I felt, that if only the balance was shifted a bit more towards the handle, it would be easier for me to bear the racket's weight.
I decided to try to add some weight to the handle - that would of course make the blade even heavier, but with the balance shifted towards the handle weight would be less noticeable. I wanted something easy, cheap and easy to "revert".

My first idea was to use some kind of lead tape, but it was not necesairly super cheap and I had some worries about the fact, that it was a lead. Then I thought about drilling a hole in a handle and filling it with something heavy, but that was a bit too much work and my Spark already had one "surgery" regarding the handle (someone cut or sanded a part of the handle and converted the AN to chinese penhold and someone after that reverted that change by creating a small extension) so I decided it is not worth it.

And then I saw my stack of various coins and I came up with the idea to glue one to the bottom end of handle. It seemed pretty promising: coin is relativelly dense and will be very far from the current balance point, so balance should be shifted heavily without a big gain in racket's weight. I also decided to use the foam double sided tape, which will increase the distance a bit more.

So the overall effects looks as follows:

Coin weights 3.6 g and the balance of the whole racket shifted by about 9 mm (from about 55 to something about 46 mm). The difference in play is noticeable. BH flips seems a bit easier and the weight is not that bad now (I hope I'm not imagining anything here :D).
So I see this as a compelete success :)

I also learned something else: the Butterfly black tag is not glued or anything, as I imagined previously, but is actually nailed to the handle with two small nails.

Regards :)

Reactions: jk1980
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The double sided tape will also eat bad vibrations that would have happened with a direct gluing of the metal. Your mod looks UGLY as sin, but I would totally believe it to be EFECTIVE in moving balance of weight downward... which makes an IMMEDIATE POSITIVE difference.

Yes, this is a GAME CHANGER. Your BH shots initiated from rest will be SO MUCH EASIER with this mod.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The double sided tape will also eat bad vibrations that would have happened with a direct gluing of the metal. Your mod looks UGLY as sin, but I would totally believe it to be EFECTIVE in moving balance of weight downward... which makes an IMMEDIATE POSITIVE difference.

Yes, this is a GAME CHANGER. Your BH shots initiated from rest will be SO MUCH EASIER with this mod.

i do not believe that any bad vibrations would come from gluing a penny to the bottom of the handle.😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013

You are absolutely right, the black tag looks infinitely better, but since I already use not so beautifull grip tape at the end of the handle, a bit more ugliness is not really a problem :)
To be honest, I haven't thought about the fact that the coin could add any vibrations. But since I can not feel anything bad, I guess that they are either very small, or the foam tape is doing it's job :)

Regarding the legality, I guess that if the old Butterfly VSG Twist blades were okay, mine should also be okay ;)