Spin is better than Speed - I am a believer now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Incredible. Just had the same thing happen at my Winter league. I'm from MA and this Iranian guy shows up (quiet as well) at league night who was relocating from Canada. I played with him for about 25 min and have never experienced forehand shots like this guy was hitting. The kick off the table was amazing. He probably wasn't half as good as the guy you are talking about but still impressive. He was playing with MXP and ZJ Innerforce ZLC I think. I remember him commenting how MXP doesn't last long, how inconsistent Chinese rubber was (quality-wise) and that he wanted an ALC blade (Timo I think). Not sure why those comments stuck with me. Name was Ali and was some type of engineer. Was looking forward to learning from him but very unfortunately a couple weeks later his wife (still back in Canada) was diagnosed with breast cancer and he has since returned to Canada for good or so I'm told.

This user has no status.
One of the strongest guy in my team is a penholder. He is always playing with a lot of spin and placement. I saw him play recently a match against a very good defender whose attacking FH was also very spinny and it was an amazing match. I regret not filming it.

I've played many times with him and have not beaten him even once. Got many times to 5th set and even once or twice got some matchpoints, but nope...

I play a lot of over 40s tournament and most good players play mostly with spin rather than speed. I think its maybe because that style was more popular before and / or its more appropriate to play a bit slower to as we get older to have more time to move. In open categories, the young good players all play much faster styles and when they face each other its interesting matchups

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wow, I seem to play a LOT like the blue shirt dude on 2nd and 4th ball (but with more frequent aggression on receive sometimes).

I observe the opposite and same as Takkyu.

In general, a lot of the old school crowd seems to like to HIT more than spin real heavy.

In general, the pro-style trained warrior kids seem to play a FAST game heavy with hitting and loop driving / look killing.

"Kill the Poor" seems to be their motto...

Kill the poor LITTLE WHITE BALL that is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
In my club, the young players learn to play safely and don't try to kill everything. It works, but has an undesired side effect, I think. They fear to play with lots of spin, as it's also "not safe playing".
I feel that the most of the hungarian players are lacking in attacking spirit somehow.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi