STIGA Carbonado 145 and Carbonado 190 with a comparison to Butterfly Viscaria

This user has no status.
I'm glad it seems logical to you - that means you can explain how rotating the carbon 45 degrees costs more?

I can't explain why the price is higher, but like all products from all companies, in all areas of the world, the price is a result of the production costs. I don't know how the 45 degree can cost more. But I'm sure it costs more to produce in some way. Otherwise the brand would publicly say that the 145 is "better". Instead they say that the only difference is the angles. I think this is very interesting and its good marketing. Just like Red bull.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Price differential is a very effective marketing device. Stiga are very clever.
The most important effect Stiga will be aiming for from this strategy is a psychological one on the potential buyer. It's a very effective tool for influencing a potential buyers decision making. Anyone making a purchase like this will mentally conduct a comparison process. If they were the same price, it's easier to perceive them essentially as the same bat with only minor differences therefore you are more likely introduce a product from a competitor to use as the comparison. If you are comparing the value aspect of the two carbonado blades it's the price difference you focus on more than the overall price therefore an extra €10 doesn't seem too bad. If however your comparison is with a competitive blade that's €50 cheaper you might not see the Carbonado as such good value. Of course there's no strategy that works on every buyer but overall Stiga are being very clever doing what they're doing. All over the forums the debate is whether the 145 is worth an extra few euros, less debate is taking place about the overall value even though these products represent a step up in price point for Stiga.
In addition to all of this it also helps managing the manufacturing forecasts. If they set the price the same it's much harder to predict output. Price one a little below the other though and you know you will sell substantially more of that one and you can set the production capacity accordingly. Economies of scale affect the manufacturing costs so although the raw material costs will be the same, overall profitability will be comparable on the two versions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 2 reviews
The most important effect Stiga will be aiming for from this strategy is a psychological one on the potential buyer. It's a very effective tool for influencing a potential buyers decision making. Anyone making a purchase like this will mentally conduct a comparison process. If they were the same price, it's easier to perceive them essentially as the same bat with only minor differences therefore you are more likely introduce a product from a competitor to use as the comparison. If you are comparing the value aspect of the two carbonado blades it's the price difference you focus on more than the overall price therefore an extra €10 doesn't seem too bad. If however your comparison is with a competitive blade that's €50 cheaper you might not see the Carbonado as such good value. Of course there's no strategy that works on every buyer but overall Stiga are being very clever doing what they're doing. All over the forums the debate is whether the 145 is worth an extra few euros, less debate is taking place about the overall value even though these products represent a step up in price point for Stiga.
In addition to all of this it also helps managing the manufacturing forecasts. If they set the price the same it's much harder to predict output. Price one a little below the other though and you know you will sell substantially more of that one and you can set the production capacity accordingly. Economies of scale affect the manufacturing costs so although the raw material costs will be the same, overall profitability will be comparable on the two versions.

thanks for the explantion. this make sense if there is no extra cost in the manufacturing.

I can buy a lot of what you are saying. The important thing is that the blades is awesome and of top quality. And they often are from this brand! Then the price doesn't matter that much. A blade you can use for forever. What I really don't like are high priced rubbers that don't last for more than a couple of weeks. But every brand has that problem. But Tenergy is the most expensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
I hope it didn't sound as if I was being critical of Stiga? It wasn't my intention. What this shows is they're a well run business with a CEO that knows what he's doing. (He has been recognised as the best CEO in Sweden I believe). Stiga have fantastic products but in this day and age you still have to employ sound marketing strategies to sell sufficient quantities to survive. I was just trying to explain the business rationale behind different pricing for products that logic would indicate would cost the same. I hope the strategy works because the more profit they make, the more funds they have to invest in R&D which means even better products for us in the future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
thanks for your great and informative reviews. do you think that any of these two blades can work with a soft rubber on, such as tenergy 64 fx or any other rubber with soft sponge?

I tried it with Airoc S for one practice most for fun and that worked really well. I usually play with harder rubbers like Airoc M or Tenergy 05 since it suits me better but if you prefer soft rubbers I would say it fits the blade great too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 2 reviews
I tried it with Airoc S for one practice most for fun and that worked really well. I usually play with harder rubbers like Airoc M or Tenergy 05 since it suits me better but if you prefer soft rubbers I would say it fits the blade great too.
i like to have soft rubbers to get the great noice when striking the ball so I'm a bit concerned to get a good blade for my soft rubbers.

This user has no status.
Interesting review Raazzz! Which of these blades would you recommend with Donic Bluefire? A guy in my club has been saying to me that I really need to switch to Bluefire. Although I am really sceptic! It would take a really great rubber for me to change from my Tenergy! Which blade will you play with from now on? Any of the ones you have reviewed?

I play with a STIGA blade now and have done so for many years. I'm very interested in Carbonado after reading yours and others reviews.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Interesting review Raazzz! Which of these blades would you recommend with Donic Bluefire? A guy in my club has been saying to me that I really need to switch to Bluefire. Although I am really sceptic! It would take a really great rubber for me to change from my Tenergy! Which blade will you play with from now on? Any of the ones you have reviewed?

I play with a STIGA blade now and have done so for many years. I'm very interested in Carbonado after reading yours and others reviews.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Doc! Yeah changing from Tenergy can be hard haha, I think all of the blades I have reviewed can be a good alternative for Bluefire and it's of course very individual. What is your game style? I will continue to play with the Carbonado 190 and that is of course the blade I would recommend for you too since I like it much and that is of course if you have a similar game style as me!

Reactions: Flash Gordon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 2 reviews
I think so too, what is your game style Flash Gordon?
i like to play out from the table with spin from both sides but is not a hard hitter, my strongest part is to play clever :). im also heavy so i not often stand right when striking the ball and need help from the rubbers and the blade. what do you think?