Style of play

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
So, basically describe how you play table tennis.
Right now I need to build up a style of play.

Normally, I play recklessly, aggressive and offensively.
It is reckless because I serve the ball making up the angle and stuff on the spot.
It is aggressive and offensive because basically I try to finish my opponent as soon as possible, leading into power shots just like whenever.

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
Nice idea of thread :)
I like to use a lot of tactics since i can be very lazy sometimes ;)
Being able to make many diferently services it is the first move to put pressure on my opponent. If i use a backspin serve i normally just play backspin on and on ( i can play it with a lot of rotation, so many players hit the ball into the net) or just wait for them to open the game and play then with fast blocks that i play into his bh, fh or at his body.

Of course i don't miss an opportunity out to smash the ball when it comes high, especially on my bh, which is (i think) my better technique and strongest stroke :)

Also when the opponent is standing far away i don't smash the ball very often but pretty fast play a drop-shot and follow it after again with some smashes and if the opponent gets them all i play again a drop-shot :)

Dec 2012
Well if i say drop-shots i don't mean only the ones we see at the top players, they usually play them when the ball comes from very far away on your side of the table AND very near to the net. Because if u play one then, you have a high chance that the ball is bouncing low and hitting the table twice, hence giving your opponent no chance.
But in lower games it's differently .. it's kinda hard to explain i should make a video or find one ^^
You can just bring the ball very easily without pressure on the other side of the table even if it is pretty high (the ball)
The other one has to run and can't play the ball very good (except maybe some side spin) then you can smash again!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Well if i say drop-shots i don't mean only the ones we see at the top players, they usually play them when the ball comes from very far away on your side of the table AND very near to the net. Because if u play one then, you have a high chance that the ball is bouncing low and hitting the table twice, hence giving your opponent no chance.
But in lower games it's differently .. it's kinda hard to explain i should make a video or find one ^^
You can just bring the ball very easily without pressure on the other side of the table even if it is pretty high (the ball)
The other one has to run and can't play the ball very good (except maybe some side spin) then you can smash again!
Is something like a chop or backspin/ghost spin is alright too?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
When serving, primarily backspin, sidespin or back-sidespin
When receiving, I usually do a push considering that most players I play with just use sidespin with A BIT of topspin or just backspin
During the game, I like to do backhand blocks and a stable forehand topspin; I never smash a lot, (even though I eagerly want to!) and usually play safe.

Dec 2012
Is something like a chop or backspin/ghost spin is alright too?

if u mean in a way of a dropshot, no.
The ball would be complicate to take and the chance that your against will use this opportunity and make the point is too high.
The chance to make a chop in a game (if you are not a defender and not showplaying) is very rarely and as non-profi player rarely to be seen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I am eclectic. I have 10+ paddles for different styles of play. I have a:
TBS+2xT05 that I call my looper
Firewall Plus+T25+GD Talon 0X that I call my blocker.
BTY BCX5+2XIQUL SV that I call my hitter
Defplay Senso+802-40+388D-1 0.6mm I call my chopper.
Samson Alpha+H3N+802 1.5 I call my 'Ball Whacker'.
When I play young EJs I get out my hard bat to remind them it takes more than equipment to win. You have to know how to use it.

I play mostly for the exercise but I play with the different paddles so my practice partners don't get bored playing the same me. Also, some of my practice partners borrow my paddles. Today my two wing chopper practice partner borrow my chopper paddle and I got a chance to play against it.

When it gets to being serious I play with my Firewall Plus+T25+GD Talon 0X and rotate between push blocker, modern defender and outright hitter blocker with a chop or two if necessary style. I like to thing that nothing can surprise me but I can come up with my own surprises.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
When I play young EJs I get out my hard bat to remind them it takes more than equipment to win. You have to know how to use it.

I play mostly for the exercise but I play with the different paddles so my practice partners don't get bored playing the same me. Also, some of my practice partners borrow my paddles. Today my two wing chopper practice partner borrow my chopper paddle and I got a chance to play against it.

When it gets to being serious I play with my Firewall Plus+T25+GD Talon 0X and rotate between push blocker, modern defender and outright hitter blocker with a chop or two if necessary style. I like to thing that nothing can surprise me but I can come up with my own surprises.
WHOA, you sure have the set there.
I only have one racket at a time, I haven't tested any rubbers except Double Happiness Hurricane 3 Neo, Double Happiness Skyline 3 Neo and Butterfly Tenergy 05.
I want to test more rubbers and blades, seeing the difference is exciting and fun.

I would consider myself as a hybrid; I have a powerful forehand loop and a consistent and very low forehand chop (forehand is my strength) but I also have a reliable backhand loop and chop.
Most of the time I play offensively, loop-driving right down the line on my forehand side of the table to completely finish the point. I throw in a few chops every once in a while just to piss off my opponent and if they are weak against backspin then I chop everything.
A combination of offence and defence will make you the ultimate player! IMHO

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I would consider myself as a hybrid; I have a powerful forehand loop and a consistent and very low forehand chop (forehand is my strength) but I also have a reliable backhand loop and chop.
Most of the time I play offensively, loop-driving right down the line on my forehand side of the table to completely finish the point. I throw in a few chops every once in a while just to piss off my opponent and if they are weak against backspin then I chop everything.
A combination of offence and defence will make you the ultimate player! IMHO
That's the style I tried to play but failed because I can't chop as well.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

U R livin' the life of a baller.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
I'm an inverted penholder with Rpb and occasional tbh block. I'll kill the ball any chance I get if it's high. I rely heavily on my 3rd ball attacks after deceptive serves (usually side). I have slow heavy opening loops that are for the majority successful but when my opponent returns it I usually go on the defensive (need to break that habit). I've been trying to attack any long balls with my backhand flick but usually only 60% successful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews

Wow! I might get one weird pips/anti/whatever odd spin top sheet for 5 USD from colestt an put it on my old blade and train for a week with it. Then I could use that when I play the one wing all-in loopers. You are completely right, though. It's not the equiptment, it's your style and use.

Last edited: