Suggestion needed for Jr player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Which of the three carbon fibers (T5000, ALC and ZLC), do you like the most?
I like t5000 the least, as it is the most reactive, and it just doesn't fit my playstyle. Outer ZLC is not well liked by me either, but inner is better. I like outer alc and inner zlc the same. Inner alc is too controlled for me. Thinking of moving to harimoto inner szlc tho, a bit crisper and sweet spot that the zlc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Some interesting blades, there are so many though

- YINHE 970XX-K -- 88gr and 5.8mm thick OFF- to OFF ~ $70 cad
- Sanwei CC - what Dave suggested here seems to be really nice, but no info on weight etc. ~ 20 cad
- Sanwei 75 - ALC w/koto 85gr / 5.7mm thin handle ~ 60 cad (this one is very interesting)
- DHS 301x ALC OFF+ / 90gr / 5.9mm... might bee too much of a racket ~ $100 cad
Hello monarch

Nice to see a passionate parent.

I owned Sanwei CC and currently using DHS 301, so can give you some info. Sanwei CC was around 88g, very controllable blade with decent speed. Had no problem with it.
Then I bought used DHS 301 and I straight away started to love it. A bit crispier feeling, noticeably faster but still high control, maybe a notch lower than on Sanwei CC. So if you find that your son looking for the next blade you might try DHS 301.

I dont think you want to look for OFF/OFF+ blades, they are just too fast for now. Maybe slower OFF blade, but definitely not OFF+. Also DHS 301x is not close to DHS 301, 301x is almost like an outer carbon blade with little flex and short dwell.

Hope you find best for your son

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Hello,

Just joined today after watching what it seems is 100's of hours of Dan on YouTube. Looking for some advice for my 10yr old son.

Got him Andro Timber 5 ALL/S Small FL with H3 NEO on both sides last year when he started playing, but I am now thinking I need get him a faster blade / rubbers.

For some reason he has an already developed forehand loop / drive where he is using his whole body to launch really speedy balls (Chinese style forehand). He did really well in tourneys I took him to. I think many years of playing tennis helped.

His backhand loops need work, but he can attack early fairly consistently from backhand side, and has a proper smash technique - something that H3 Neo isn't really good for.

From what I can see he likes to attack from both wings whenever there is a chance. Last week he tried a butterfly ZLC blade with Dignics 09c on both sites and it seemed that the balls were flying 50% faster. However, he only played for 10 min, so there wasn't enough time to make any conclusions.

Since I am very new to table tennis I would appreciate any advice. After much research I am leaning towards:

- Timo Ball ALC blade, due to smaller 24mm handle
- Dignics 09c for forehand - I am thinking it is going to be similar to H3 Neo, but much faster
- Tibhar MX-P for backhand (trying to save some money)

If that is an overkill, it seems that Timo Boll TJ might be a good blade? If anyone has some follow up questions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Hi! You have a ten year old kiddo taking TT lessons.

Coincidently my elementary school going kid is also taking TT lesson.

I let him use my old Nittaku Acoutic with Joola Zack rubbers. Nittaku Acoustic has a small handle just right for kids' hand.

Once my old Joola Zack rubber worn out, I will replace it wit G1 as FH and Rozena as BH. Yup! That is my plan. I will let him use Nittaku Acoustic up until high school; thereafter if he still interested in TT, will switch to Golden Viscaria for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: S-Pin and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I let him use my old Nittaku Acoutic with Joola Zack rubbers. Nittaku Acoustic has a small handle just right for kids' hand.

Once my old Joola Zack rubber worn out, I will replace it wit G1 as FH and Rozena as BH. Yup! That is my plan. I will let him use Nittaku Acoustic up until high school, thereafter if he still interested in TT, will switch to Golden Viscaria for him.
Nooooo, I thought you would start him with Timo boll jr with Rozena on both sides. Don't tell me you joined the dark side of Nittaku. :) :)

On a more serious note, I love G-1. I think you should start your kid on C-1 and then upgrade to G-1 later. They are very similar rubbers and they are the best sellers on TT11 for a reason. Somehow C-1 being slightly slower and slightly softer than G-1 makes it very good in the beginning if you decide to embark on using the Fastarc series (I never owned S-1 or P-1 and never played either rubber so no comment on those rubbers).

Mar 2021
Nooooo, I thought you would start him with Timo boll jr with Rozena on both sides. Don't tell me you joined the dark side of Nittaku. :) :)

On a more serious note, I love G-1. I think you should start your kid on C-1 and then upgrade to G-1 later. They are very similar rubbers and they are the best sellers on TT11 for a reason. Somehow C-1 being slightly slower and slightly softer than G-1 makes it very good in the beginning if you decide to embark on using the Fastarc series (I never owned S-1 or P-1 and never played either rubber so no comment on those rubbers).
No Spring-Sponge for him. Don't want that kid to develop half arse lazy stroke. Give him G1 to make him work a little bit more, develop those muscles first. Old Papa Gozo is allowed to have half-arse-lazy-stroke with super bouncy ESN rubber coz me is Papa Gozo. Kids gotta earn his place: Old Papa Gozo showing sum tough luv.

• Haha
Reactions: JJ Ng and H3R0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023

Once my old Joola Zack rubber worn out, I will replace it wit G1 as FH and Rozena as BH. Yup! That is my plan. I will let him use Nittaku Acoustic up until high school; thereafter if he still interested in TT, will switch to Golden Viscaria for him.
why not try fzd alc? heard it was the new heat to a viscaria alternative, dk abt the golden one tho.

• Haha
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Went with "one and only" DHS Long 5 light. Found it for $140 USD at a local authorized DHS dealer. Now the reasoning..

1. 84gr
2. thinner handle for kids / teens
3. inner alc, with outer 2 layer of wood
4. will set it up with H3 Prov / H3 Neo

Once the rubbers are in I get time to test, I will try to write a mini review, as no one has any reviews for this blade...

Attachments

• PXL_20230606_024355456.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230606_024355456.MP.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Went with "one and only" DHS Long 5 light. Found it for $140 USD at a local authorized DHS dealer. Now the reasoning..

1. 84gr

Once the rubbers are in I get time to test, I will try to write a mini review, as no one has any reviews for this blade...
I believe ML5 is very popular among chinese players. I am not familiar with the "light" version though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
An interesting update... got the H3 Neo provincial yesterday, so set it up with Big Dipper Max on H5 Long Light.. about 2 hrs hitting session thoughts..

- Big Dipper was a Big Disappointment, due to a 56-57gr weight when cut. This is not a rubber for children. H3 Neo 2.2m is 43gr when cut! Big Dipper is a rubber for big adults / 'full size' teens.

- H3 Neo Provincial 2.15 39. Seems to be much harder than regular H3 Neo 2.15 38. When I squeeze both rubbers the difference is huge. Must be due to sponge density. Regular neo has been used for almost a year, and provincial is brand new.. that might factor in as well - not sure.

- Long 5 light.. some mixed thoughts. Due to the setup being 11-12 gr heavier I do not think a proper test was done. Power is definitely there but if you go too fast the ball tends to sail long. This was not the case with 5 ply wood blade where you can go all out with swings. Will have to test some more, and definitely switch the backhand rubber.

For the next year I think we will go back to Ando timber 5 ALL/S with regular Neo 2.15 / 2.20m, and 37/38 hardness. Backhand rubber is still in the "air". Paddle Palace had Nittaku Fastarc G-1 for $39. Seems to have great reviews and it is 49gr cut. Seems to me like a good choice for backhand or 729 Bloom Power / Jupiter 3 Asia.

Edit.. Amost forgot. I love Sanwei CC. I put Rasanter rubbers on it and had a blast with all the shots. I cannot believe that a $15 blade can do this, it is mind boggling. This will be my default blade for now.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
An interesting update... got the H3 Neo provincial yesterday, so set it up with Big Dipper Max on H5 Long Light.. about 2 hrs hitting session thoughts..

- Big Dipper was a Big Disappointment, due to a 56-57gr weight when cut. This is not a rubber for children. H3 Neo 2.2m is 43gr when cut! Big Dipper is a rubber for big adults / 'full size' teens.

- H3 Neo Provincial 2.15 39. Seems to be much harder than regular H3 Neo 2.15 38. When I squeeze both rubbers the difference is huge. Must be due to sponge density. Regular neo has been used for almost a year, and provincial is brand new.. that might factor in as well - not sure.

- Long 5 light.. some mixed thoughts. Due to the setup being 11-12 gr heavier I do not think a proper test was done. Power is definitely there but if you go too fast the ball tends to sail long. This was not the case with 5 ply wood blade where you can go all out with swings. Will have to test some more, and definitely switch the backhand rubber.

For the next year I think we will go back to Ando timber 5 ALL/S with regular Neo 2.15 / 2.20m, and 37/38 hardness. Backhand rubber is still in the "air". Paddle Palace had Nittaku Fastarc G-1 for $39. Seems to have great reviews and it is 49gr cut. Seems to me like a good choice for backhand or 729 Bloom Power / Jupiter 3 Asia.

Edit.. Amost forgot. I love Sanwei CC. I put Rasanter rubbers on it and had a blast with all the shots. I cannot believe that a $15 blade can do this, it is mind boggling. This will be my default blade for now.
Let me jump in. I got a Big Dipper 40 degree black, boosted. Not impressed. I already said it before.

Never tried Provincial H3 neo. I have always used commercial H3 neo 39 degree, buy big batch at a time from TT11. Maybe you need to boost the provincial H3 neo more to soften it up? And I assume that provincial version is orange sponge, not blue sponge?

Also I love love old (like one-year old H3 neo) because when I reboost it, the sponge gets softer but yet more springy (more catapult effect). Don't ask me why. I have done that to 8 rubbers and I like them old and reboosted than when they first came out of the package. So maybe you are comparing an older H3 neo commerical to new H3 neo provincial. Agree.

Do you really want to play H5 Long light for one year before switching back to Andro Timber.

I like G-1. I have been a big fan. Not as great for looping. For looping, I have some good feeling with Rakza 7 soft and Revolution EL-S. I feel that MX-P and MX-S are too hard. I feel that FX-P is probably too slow. EL-S works right for me.

for softer blade (5-ply wood like Tibhar Stratus Power wood), I really like G-1 on the backhand. Fast and direct. straight to the point.

now I have moved to stiffer 7-ply wood and slower inner carbon composite (harder blade), I actually like softer ESN on the backhand side now! Rakza 7 soft and EL-S are my favorite right now.

Reactions: Jslick89
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

1. 84gr

I'm playing the Long 5 Light myself albeit with a tennis grip wrap for the handle. It is much better in control for me than the regular Long 5 that I also own. It is pretty amazing now that I can loop all those underspin returns and floating serves both FH and BH with a higher percentage. It is my current No. 1 racket. You may want a faster rubber for the backhand like the Hammond Z2 that I m using in my setup. If you need more speed on the forehand, try the Loki Arthur China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Seems to me like a good choice for backhand or 729 Bloom Power / Jupiter 3 Asia.
I don't recommend Jupiter 3 for a kid, It's too heavy, 51g cut (H40 version, H38&H39 should be lighter).

Edit.. Amost forgot. I love Sanwei CC. I put Rasanter rubbers on it and had a blast with all the shots. I cannot believe that a $15 blade can do this, it is mind boggling.
Exactly the same impression with Sanwei CC, I love it!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Well I have to admit that I messed up. I removed the rubbers and the glue and measured everything again:

Long 5 Light is 84gr
Big Dipper is 48gr
H3 neo prov is 49gr

The total weight without glue is 181. Before removing glue it was 196 gr, meaning that I somehow managed to add 15gr of glue!

Seems like the all weight went onto the blade. I was rushing and used way too much. User 1 layer on blade and 2 on rubbers, so 6 in total...

Next time I will try to do 1 thin layer on blade and 1 thin layer on rubbers.

BTW the glue is Andro Turbo Fix, from tabletennis11.. it seems to be very thin and is water based.

Any backhand rubbers that are around 45gr cut, except for H3 neo commercial? So something a bit faster, but not heavy?

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Well I have to admit that I messed up. I removed the rubbers and the glue and measured everything again:

Long 5 Light is 84gr
Big Dipper is 48gr
H3 neo prov is 49gr

The total weight without glue is 181. Before removing glue it was 196 gr, meaning that I somehow managed to add 15gr of glue!

Seems like the all weight went onto the blade. I was rushing and used way too much. User 1 layer on blade and 2 on rubbers, so 6 in total...

BTW the glue is Andro Turbo Fix, from tabletennis11.. it seems to be very thin and is water based.

Any backhand rubbers that are around 45gr cut, except for H3 neo commercial? So something a bit faster, but not heavy?
729 Presto Max Spin is a nice rubber and not that heavy. About 45 grams cut to a normal blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

Long 5 Light is 84gr
Big Dipper is 48gr
H3 neo prov is 49gr

I have to go back to the first page.

this is for a 10-year old player's set-up?

I have to go back to my original recommendation: Nittaku Fastarc C-1 or Tibhar Evolution EL-S, or Rakza 7 soft. All three are good tensor rubbers that should be relatively like. If you are not sure, then you cannot go wrong with C-1. G-1 and C-1 are very very popular rubber in Japan (and best sellers on TT11). There is a reason for that.

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Ended up with DHS Gold Arc 8 47.5 medium. An amazing backhand rubber for Long 5. Not sure how many people have tried it/ used it but is as excellent hybrid rubber that is made by ESN in Germany. It goes for about $40 usd here, and for that money there is nothing better.

Also, Long 5 must be the most underrated blade outside China. Everyone I see uses Butterfly Viscaria, but this blade has so much feel, it is ridoncilous. In the right hands the power is out of this world as well.

I know it has been a while, but I thought to provide a quick update.