Table Tennis comeback after 6 years

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Hi everyone,

I´m a 22 year old guy that played table tennis from the age of 6 to 16. I was on the junior national team of Norway and had to quit because of a knee injury. Now, 6 years later I have just started playing again at a local club outside Zürich in Switzerland. I have completed my 2nd training with an intermediate team and noticing that the technique is slowly coming back fairly quick and exercises are not an issue. But as soon as we start playing matches, I can loose to players that I would never imagine could beat me... This is SO FRUSTRATING...! How long will it take to get the hang of it and stabilising again? I am going to have 1 practice a week for the next 2 weeks before ramping up to 2 practices a week.

Thanks for all replies!

Michael

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I'm not at your level but 6 years is a long gap. Table tennis is quite a mental game and you might not be concentrating as well as you did earlier or not relying on your subconscious and "letting go" during points. I had that problem when I consciously changed my technique for the better (looping long balls instead of pushing everything) and it took a while (around 4 weeks with practice 1-2 times a week) for the new style to settle in and become natural. In between, I lost to people against whom I normally never lose either :D but now I'm winning sets against people against whom I used to lose 4-0 against.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
it's hard for someone who is coming back after a long time because your brain remembers being able to do stuff, but your body isn't making all the tiny little adjustments that make the difference between hitting and missing a shot. keep in mind that your perception of how good you are is based on memory and it's wrong, you have a "new" level now and it's only as high as you are able to perform in matches. once you come to grips with that, it's only gonna be uphill from there. be patient.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
I think that it depens what was your playing style. If you were two wing looper with good touch to the ball your game will came back quite soon. You just need maches not so much excercises. I you were hard driver/hitter who had have perfect timeing then it can take much longer. I have been in same kind of situation. Alltough my brake was "only" 2 years due to back injury and for me it took about two years to be quite close to my peak again. Just enjoy your self and don´t take maches too seriously some day you just realize that your game is back.

Cheers,
Tommi