How to get better at table tennis when you have no one to play with and get competitive?

This user has no status.
I recently joined a table tennis club in my city (Stuttgart), it is a relatively small club and although I don't have a basic level of play (I would say intermediate level), somehow I feel that the players who have been in the club for many years are arrogant and none of them want to practice with me. I understand that some of them have few hours a week to practice after a long day of work, but it is frustrating and demotivating the attitude of some of the players in the club.

Do you have any advice on how to improve my game given these conditions? I don't want to leave the club since it is the closest to my home and the best in town.

That's sad, You do have a trainer in the club? Ask the trainer to pair You during training. Then after some time You will
get to know the people and then everything will be much better.

I know myself that I don't particularly want to train with a beginner, but luckily we don't have many of those.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
That's sad, You do have a trainer in the club? Ask the trainer to pair You during training. Then after some time You will
get to know the people and then everything will be much better.

I know myself that I don't particularly want to train with a beginner, but luckily we don't have many of those.

Cheers
L-zr
Unfortunately there are no trainers as such. Coaches only train and take care of the club members who play at a competitive level in the different leagues.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Does your club have youth work?

If you say your level is intermediate und you have not been trained professionally until now, the kids might have right level. And you could benefit from playing drills with them.

If your club doesn't have youth work, you could search for a "Hobbygruppe" in your area, this is the term for adult beginners and people who are not playing competitive.

Another option is to look at training camps like Tischtennisschule Grenzau or camps organised by local trainers (like Phillip Floritz for example).

Reactions: jk1980
Best club in your city? Really? When I see your writing ie your club can't exactly be called a good example. Every self-respecting club has one or more trainers and should offer training to starting and/or youth players. If I were you, I would speak to one of the directors or look out for another club that does want to put effort and time into their training(s).
Good luck!

Reactions: Sticky
This user has no status.
I think your self evaluation is probably a little to high if nobody will play with you. You would benefit of taking an hour of private training to get down the basic strokes and to have them evaluate your skill. Often times they can point you to clubs more fitted for beginners.
Usually, when I manage to train, I do it with members of the 7th or 6th team. The problem is that these people usually have regular training partners and they train on days other than the ones I am allowed to train on because I am not part of any team.

This user has no status.
Does your club have youth work?

If you say your level is intermediate und you have not been trained professionally until now, the kids might have right level. And you could benefit from playing drills with them.

If your club doesn't have youth work, you could search for a "Hobbygruppe" in your area, this is the term for adult beginners and people who are not playing competitive.

Another option is to look at training camps like Tischtennisschule Grenzau or camps organised by local trainers (like Phillip Floritz for example).
Nice options, thanks. I found a personal trainer in my city and the Grenzau Schule is something I have to try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Usually, when I manage to train, I do it with members of the 7th or 6th team. The problem is that these people usually have regular training partners and they train on days other than the ones I am allowed to train on because I am not part of any team.
When are you allowed to train then? Perhaps ask the 7th team captain if you can join their training. It does not make sense to have you train at days were only better teams train.

This user has no status.
When are you allowed to train then? Perhaps ask the 7th team captain if you can join their training. It does not make sense to have you train at days were only better teams train.
The club divides the week into days where people who play in the different leagues can train and days where low-level teams and amateurs can play. Although I don't consider myself an amateur or even a pro, I am aware of my level. I don't need to learn since I have all the basic knowledge of the game, spins, drills, serves, and techniques. What I want is to improve. Unfortunately, I don't want to and can't join a team since it requires a commitment that I can't make due to the nature of my job.

This user has no status.
i had the same issue, somehow still having it, i am a rusty player where i struggle between old bad habits of tennis and trying to learn the new ones, i joined a gym that has a big group of table tennis players and i found all kind of levels,

some of them stand infront of me like i am nothing and just pushes the ball waiting for me to make a mistake, some didnt even want to play with me,

i found some people that would love to go over some trainings with me, simple and basic ones, i am happy so far and learning everyday.

i still dont appreciate arrogant people in clubs, i am thinking of buying a table tennis robot cause of them,