Tenergy 05 Hard v D09c

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
What's everyone's experience with T05H? I feel like this rubber might be a good rubber for me to switch to. I've been using boosted tacky rubbers for a long time but I felt super unsatisfied with how D09C plays.

Can anyone compare T05H to D09c and how they are different?

The most important thing for me is having extra security in touch play. How are these 2 rubbers different in this regard.

I really like the easy to use feeling of tenergy, but always found it too bouncy at times, is t05h the answer?

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Definitely agree that Dignics 09c is better in the touch play, I found with Tenergy 05 hard I had to work quite hard to generate power compared to the normal 05. Don't get me wrong it's fast and powerful but to get the most out of it you do have to work and have good acceleration through the ball. The same can be said about Dignics 09c but with the grippy topsheet you can get away with more, generate more spin and have the nice feeling on counter attacks that you can grip the ball.

I would say as Thomas mentioned above stick to the boosted tacky rubbers as your used to that, just explore other options apart from 09c. I personally wasn't a big fan of 09c either, but I tend to prefer less tacky topsheet and more European style rubbers.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
At the current moment, I am not good enough to play either T05H or 09C well enough. (let's say to play to majority of its potential)
I used to be a softer rubber dude on FH and a year of Etika 51 / MX-K 47 got my impact to be a medium firm tensor FH player.

maybe if I train and use the stuff a year I could cope, but the cost of coping (near 100 usd a sheet) is way higher than I am willing.

I slapped on a sheet of Tibhar Aurus a month ago and I play that rubber like a fiddle and beat that ball like a drum.
out of any of the BTY rubbers, only T05FX worked well for what I do for my stroke and impact, I could pound it or spin it, didn't matter with T05FX. I actually achieved my highest USATT rating ever using it on FH, but even T05FX is too expensive to use on FH when a number of low 30s USD rubbers work well on my FH.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
At the current moment, I am not good enough to play either T05H or 09C well enough. (let's say to play to majority of its potential)
I used to be a softer rubber dude on FH and a year of Etika 51 / MX-K 47 got my impact to be a medium firm tensor FH player.

maybe if I train and use the stuff a year I could cope, but the cost of coping (near 100 usd a sheet) is way higher than I am willing.

I slapped on a sheet of Tibhar Aurus a month ago and I play that rubber like a fiddle and beat that ball like a drum.
out of any of the BTY rubbers, only T05FX worked well for what I do for my stroke and impact, I could pound it or spin it, didn't matter with T05FX. I actually achieved my highest USATT rating ever using it on FH, but even T05FX is too expensive to use on FH when a number of low 30s USD rubbers work well on my FH.
Yea, T05 FX is the one BTY rubber I truly love and can justify paying for, especially now that I tried Nittaku Hammond Z2 on the forehand.

Use to play T05 FX 1.9 on both sides for 2-3 years, now just on the BH.

You outta try Z2, especially since you like the old Hammond.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Definitely agree that Dignics 09c is better in the touch play, I found with Tenergy 05 hard I had to work quite hard to generate power compared to the normal 05. Don't get me wrong it's fast and powerful but to get the most out of it you do have to work and have good acceleration through the ball. The same can be said about Dignics 09c but with the grippy topsheet you can get away with more, generate more spin and have the nice feeling on counter attacks that you can grip the ball.

I would say as Thomas mentioned above stick to the boosted tacky rubbers as your used to that, just explore other options apart from 09c. I personally wasn't a big fan of 09c either, but I tend to prefer less tacky topsheet and more European style rubbers.
General rule of thumb is, you need to work harder for hard sponge.
easier to use soft sponge
And yes, boosting a hard sponge, to make it softer, is easier to use
Hybrid is the same theory in terms of softer sponge.
The tackier topsheet (and harder sponge) does allow for easier use for touch play, or what I like to call short game.

However, blade has a very important role to play in short game.
So, having said that, Ricospin, I wonder how much of an issue you have with a "bouncy" rubber, or too fast of a blade.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yea, T05 FX is the one BTY rubber I truly love and can justify paying for, especially now that I tried Nittaku Hammond Z2 on the forehand.

Use to play T05 FX 1.9 on both sides for 2-3 years, now just on the BH.

You outta try Z2, especially since you like the old Hammond.
Hi Thomas Pong... you might see me in LA sporting a sheet of the newly released FX-D from Tibhar... truly one of the few rubbers that plays like T05FX right out of the box. Of course nothing will ever have the feel of T05FX, but FX-D actually excels in all the things T05FX did and does, but at less than 1/2 the price.

I can really crack on BH with this, can spin the cover off the ball and it is so damn versatile with feel.

• Love

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
General rule of thumb is, you need to work harder for hard sponge.
easier to use soft sponge
And yes, boosting a hard sponge, to make it softer, is easier to use
Hybrid is the same theory in terms of softer sponge.
The tackier topsheet (and harder sponge) does allow for easier use for touch play, or what I like to call short game.

However, blade has a very important role to play in short game.
So, having said that, Ricospin, I wonder how much of an issue you have with a "bouncy" rubber, or too fast of a blade.
Yes that's for sure, hard sponge is what all the pro players are using as they all boost anyway. I use a fairly hard sponge myself but not a tacky topsheet. When myself and Dan review rubbers now a days you can see mainly companies are going for the harder sponge style rubbers. Blade is absolutely key as you mentioned as well Tony!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I use a fairly hard sponge myself but not a tacky topsheet.
Totally off topic (sorry!) but, Tom, I'm curious to know why you've stuck with the DNA Pro H and haven't moved to the Platinum series? I've tried DNA Pro M and H and think they're both excellent (and under-rated) rubbers. The Pro series is more than good enough for me, but I would've thought that very high-level players like you would probably have shifted to the Platinum. Any comments?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes that's for sure, hard sponge is what all the pro players are using as they all boost anyway. I use a fairly hard sponge myself but not a tacky topsheet. When myself and Dan review rubbers now a days you can see mainly companies are going for the harder sponge style rubbers. Blade is absolutely key as you mentioned as well Tony!

Are you using DNA Pro Hard still?
Have you tried platinum?
I had Pro Hard on my RPB BH for years. Really enjoyed it.
Some of the new 48 or 50 deg sponges felt so much softer (more sponge/less topsheet), so I didnt like it.
So trying out H8-80 38d now.

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Totally off topic (sorry!) but, Tom, I'm curious to know why you've stuck with the DNA Pro H and haven't moved to the Platinum series? I've tried DNA Pro M and H and think they're both excellent (and under-rated) rubbers. The Pro series is more than good enough for me, but I would've thought that very high-level players like you would probably have shifted to the Platinum. Any comments?
Hey! No worries, yeah I did try the Platinum and use it for a while but for me I still prefer the DNA Pro H. I think for me because I used a wood blade for a lo g time and then went to the Cybershape Carbon about a year ago which was a step up in speed, then going to even faster Platinum rubbers as well I didn't like the feeling. For my game style I value spin control over speed as well so the Pro gives me a good balance. Of course other high level players do want that extra speed but it all ciens down to personal preference and playing style :)

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Are you using DNA Pro Hard still?
Have you tried platinum?
I had Pro Hard on my RPB BH for years. Really enjoyed it.
Some of the new 48 or 50 deg sponges felt so much softer (more sponge/less topsheet), so I didnt like it.
So trying out H8-80 38d now.
Yeah still using DNA Pro hard and love it. I have tried the Platinum but prefer the control and spin with the Pro. Yeah I agree some other sponges of that hardness felt softer!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Hey! No worries, yeah I did try the Platinum and use it for a while but for me I still prefer the DNA Pro H. I think for me because I used a wood blade for a lo g time and then went to the Cybershape Carbon about a year ago which was a step up in speed, then going to even faster Platinum rubbers as well I didn't like the feeling. For my game style I value spin control over speed as well so the Pro gives me a good balance. Of course other high level players do want that extra speed but it all ciens down to personal preference and playing style :)
Thanks Tom! It's nice to hear that sort of comment from a top player. We need to hear more encouragement to use equipment that easier to control, rather than defaulting to super-duper high-performance stuff.

I've said before, and will repeat, I think the DNA Pro series is very good and generally under-rated. The Pro M feels to me like a 'toned-down' Tenergy 19. It has a similar comfortable, stable feel - just at a slightly lower level that's easier for most club-level players to handle.

Along those lines, here's a thought for you and Dan: Would you guys consider reviewing some more mid-level equipment from time to time please? For example, you did Rakza 7 and Vega X a little while ago and I think lots of folks appreciated those reviews. I imagine there are many who'd be grateful to hear your thoughts on, for example, Rasanter R48 (instead of the top of the line R53), or Mantra Pro M (rather than, or as well as, the H version). Many of us prefer the medium-hard (ie. around 47/48 degree) rubbers rather than the 50-degree plus stuff. Just a thought!

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Thanks Tom! It's nice to hear that sort of comment from a top player. We need to hear more encouragement to use equipment that easier to control, rather than defaulting to super-duper high-performance stuff.

I've said before, and will repeat, I think the DNA Pro series is very good and generally under-rated. The Pro M feels to me like a 'toned-down' Tenergy 19. It has a similar comfortable, stable feel - just at a slightly lower level that's easier for most club-level players to handle.

Along those lines, here's a thought for you and Dan: Would you guys consider reviewing some more mid-level equipment from time to time please? For example, you did Rakza 7 and Vega X a little while ago and I think lots of folks appreciated those reviews. I imagine there are many who'd be grateful to hear your thoughts on, for example, Rasanter R48 (instead of the top of the line R53), or Mantra Pro M (rather than, or as well as, the H version). Many of us prefer the medium-hard (ie. around 47/48 degree) rubbers rather than the 50-degree plus stuff. Just a thought!
No problem, it's definitely important to have something you can control rather than just super fast! Totally agree that DNA Pro is quite under-rated as a rubber and can suit a lot of players. I know what you mean when you say the M is a toned-down version of Tenergy 05 and I think this can be good for a lot of people who find Tenergy great when attacking but lacking control when blocking, counter attacking or in the short game.

Yes I agree we can definitely try to get a balance and review the more mid-range type rubbers alongside the top of the line ones. Or at least offer more detailed comparison and info on how they feel. We will try to be sure to do that! Like you said I'm sure there a big group of people who would be interested :)

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
No problem, it's definitely important to have something you can control rather than just super fast! Totally agree that DNA Pro is quite under-rated as a rubber and can suit a lot of players. I know what you mean when you say the M is a toned-down version of Tenergy 05 and I think this can be good for a lot of people who find Tenergy great when attacking but lacking control when blocking, counter attacking or in the short game.

Yes I agree we can definitely try to get a balance and review the more mid-range type rubbers alongside the top of the line ones. Or at least offer more detailed comparison and info on how they feel. We will try to be sure to do that! Like you said I'm sure there a big group of people who would be interested :)
Hey Tom!

You being a Stiga man, will you guys be reviewing the new Mantra Pros soon?

Being made in Japan, they should be quite different from the DNA's.

Have you gotten a chance to try them yet?

Reactions: Tom
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi Thomas Pong... you might see me in LA sporting a sheet of the newly released FX-D from Tibhar... truly one of the few rubbers that plays like T05FX right out of the box. Of course nothing will ever have the feel of T05FX, but FX-D actually excels in all the things T05FX did and does, but at less than 1/2 the price.

I can really crack on BH with this, can spin the cover off the ball and it is so damn versatile with feel.
If you're in LA, holler at me, 'd love to hit a few balls with you and get a drink if you have time!

Might have to give the FX-D a try some time. What are notable differences or upgrades from the FX-P?

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hey Tom!

You being a Stiga man, will you guys be reviewing the new Mantra Pros soon?

Being made in Japan, they should be quite different from the DNA's.

Have you gotten a chance to try them yet?
Hey! We haven't had a chance to try them yet actually but will be interesting. We will try to do a review on them as well, got quite a few already in the pipeline. I'll let you know when we get a chance to try them!

says Kristian Karlsson is the goat
says Kristian Karlsson is the goat
Dec 2022
Hey! We haven't had a chance to try them yet actually but will be interesting. We will try to do a review on them as well, got quite a few already in the pipeline. I'll let you know when we get a chance to try them!
Hey tom, I know you guys have tried the rakza Z and complained about the speed but would you guys ever consider reviewing rakza Z extra hard? Because I think that can help in terms of speed

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Hey tom, I know you guys have tried the rakza Z and complained about the speed but would you guys ever consider reviewing rakza Z extra hard? Because I think that can help in terms of speed
I wouldn't think that would solve the problem. Generally harder sponge = higher top speed but also requires more physical effort to achieve high speed.

Reactions: Tinykin