Two Blades from OSP: Virtuoso Off- and V'King

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Carl...looks super! Waiting for others :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Here is the other OSP blades I have:

a45c703f4bc3ee1431a29fc6fbcf4b20.jpg

From left to right: Virtuoso Off-, V'King, and a Custom OSP blade of my own design.

And with the Virtuoso Plus:

1210d8ad5a99fe20e00ea1ac162dfb8e.jpg

For me the Virtuoso Plus is the blade that nothing else can replace. It is a perfect blade for me.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Liten
This user has no status.

From left to right: Virtuoso Off-, V'King, and a Custom OSP blade of my own design.

For me the Virtuoso Plus is the blade that nothing else can replace. It is a perfect blade for me.

Since I have read that you are also a fan of the classic Stiga Clipper, I wonder if you have tried the "OSP Ultimate Offensive" and have any comments on that blade?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Since I have read that you are also a fan of the classic Stiga Clipper, I wonder if you have tried the "OSP Ultimate Offensive" and have any comments on that blade?

I have heard that the Ultimate lacks the power of the Clipper from farther back and is a little slower. I have friend who uses a Clipper who got an Ultimate and was disappointed.

I have to admit, I have not tried it and do not really know. But it seems to me to fit to some extent. My V-, I got it on the light side, and it seems a tad slower to me than my Stiga Allround Evolution even though it feels like a better blade. If my friend got his Ultimate with a lighter weight, I could see it being slower and having less power than he expected.

However, my Virtuoso Plus, I asked them to make it on the heavy side, and it seems to have speed close to a Clipper and plenty of power from further back. So I am thinking, it may just be the Ultimate that my friend ordered. However, the 7 ply blade from OSP that most interests me is the Martin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Nicee

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

Can u give the construction layers of wood for all blades pls with weight
Maybe i can repeat these for myself
No offence when u come hk i can invite a friendly match [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Can u give the construction layers of wood for all blades pls with weight
Maybe i can repeat these for myself
No offence when u come hk i can invite a friendly match [emoji1317]

This is pretty funny. But yeah, I can give you the ply construction for each blade. However, I can't give you the thickness for each ply, or how they get the V- and the V+ to have such different speed with the same woods but slightly different hardnesses of each wood.

1) Virtuoso Off-: Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba
2) Virtuoso Plus: Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba
3) V'King: Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto
4) Custom: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba

The interesting thing here is that the V- and V+ both have the same ply construction as the Butterfly Primorac Off- and the Petr Korbel and yet they play nothing like either of those blades. The V'King has the same construction as that Avalox P-500 and the DHS Hurricane King and plays nothing like either of those blades. And the custom blade has the same plies as the Stiga Allround Classic and plays nothing like it either.

Without knowing the actual wood, the gluing process, the kind of glue, the thickness of each ply and a host of other things, duplicating these blades is not as easy as it sounds. But you still could end up with an awesome blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
This is pretty funny. But yeah, I can give you the ply construction for each blade. However, I can't give you the thickness for each ply, or how they get the V- and the V+ to have such different speed with the same woods but slightly different hardnesses of each wood.

1) Virtuoso Off-: Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba
2) Virtuoso Plus: Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba
3) V'King: Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto
4) Custom: Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba

The interesting thing here is that the V- and V+ both have the same ply construction as the Butterfly Primorac Off- and the Petr Korbel and yet they play nothing like either of those blades. The V'King has the same construction as that Avalox P-500 and the DHS Hurricane King and plays nothing like either of those blades. And the custom blade has the same plies as the Stiga Allround Classic and plays nothing like it either.

Without knowing the actual wood, the gluing process, the kind of glue, the thickness of each ply and a host of other things, duplicating these blades is not as easy as it sounds. But you still could end up with an awesome blade.

Thanx
The weight ? B4 gluing rubbers .

This user has no status.
I have heard that the Ultimate lacks the power of the Clipper from farther back and is a little slower. I have friend who uses a Clipper who got an Ultimate and was disappointed.

I have to admit, I have not tried it and do not really know. But it seems to me to fit to some extent. My V-, I got it on the light side, and it seems a tad slower to me than my Stiga Allround Evolution even though it feels like a better blade. If my friend got his Ultimate with a lighter weight, I could see it being slower and having less power than he expected.

However, my Virtuoso Plus, I asked them to make it on the heavy side, and it seems to have speed close to a Clipper and plenty of power from further back. So I am thinking, it may just be the Ultimate that my friend ordered. However, the 7 ply blade from OSP that most interests me is the Martin.

Thanks Carl. I'll check out that Martin blade. Since coming back from a long TT break (more than 20 years) I have experienced that I now prefer a more stable/stiffer blade because of the bigger ball. My Intensity NCT blade is ok, but still a bit too flexible and although the speed is ok, I'm not too sure I like the feeling of the quite hard walnut nct outer layer. This is why I am investigating 7-ply blade alternatives.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanx
The weight ? B4 gluing rubbers.

Oh man, you want to know everything.

Original weights for the blades:

1) V- 86 grams
2) V+ 91 grams
3) V'King 88 grams
4) Custom 88 grams

The last time I weighed the V- it had gained some weight and was 88 grams. Same thing happened to the V+ and it was 93 grams. I assume this was mostly from the handle absorbing my sweat. I have not reweighed the other two.

Even if you take the details to a different blade maker, you will end up with something slightly different. But, still, those blade compositions will make good blades if the person making them knows what he is doing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks Carl. I'll check out that Martin blade. Since coming back from a long TT break (more than 20 years) I have experienced that I now prefer a more stable/stiffer blade because of the bigger ball. My Intensity NCT blade is ok, but still a bit too flexible and although the speed is ok, I'm not too sure I like the feeling of the quite hard walnut nct outer layer. This is why I am investigating 7-ply blade alternatives.

What is wrong with a Clipper? Based on what you said, a Clipper might be perfect. And it costs less than a Martin. But a Martin would be awesome. So if you can afford it, it would be worth going for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

1) V- 86 grams
2) V+ 91 grams
3) V'King 88 grams
4) Custom 88 grams

The last time I weighed the V- it had gained some weight and was 88 grams. Same thing happened to the V+ and it was 93 grams. I assume this was mostly from the handle absorbing my sweat. I have not reweighed the other two.

Even if you take the details to a different blade maker, you will end up with something slightly different. But, still, those blade compositions will make good blades if the person making them knows what he is doing.

Thanx did u laquer them lightly or osp lacquered for u before delivery ?
Did u get any gift box with osp for their price ? How long did they take to deliver after order. Do they test blades before shipping out ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

1) V- 86 grams
2) V+ 91 grams
3) V'King 88 grams
4) Custom 88 grams

I wont take to another maker i will order from osp im looking at ur blades details
I may alter some layers by thickness
Working with a coach to figure out
Thanx[emoji1317]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thinking abt going for a Vking
What rubbers are suitable for these blades ?

If you like blades with a hard top ply, V'King is awesome. For me the softer top ply and added dwell time of the V- and V+ were more what I like.

Any offensive rubber will be good on these blades.

When you get these blades, there is a brief period where they feel weird. Then they break in and feel fine. I had it with each of them. So don't be surprised if it feels strange at first. After a few sessions it starts feeling stable.

Reactions: amber.kulkarni89
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanx did u laquer them lightly or osp lacquered for u before delivery ?
Did u get any gift box with osp for their price ? How long did they take to deliver after order. Do they test blades before shipping out ?

I wont take to another maker i will order from osp im looking at ur blades details
I may alter some layers by thickness
Working with a coach to figure out
Thanx[emoji1317]

I would go to their website and check it out.

I like to seal my blades myself. But back then I don't think they offered to seal the blades.

From personal experience, the blades they make need no tinkering. I would just order the blade you want. They know what they are doing. There is a reason I use the V+ as my main blade and not the custom or any of the others.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, and when you order one of the standard OSP blades, it takes them about a week to finish making the blades because they have the plies for each model ready to be finished. And they have a 2 day shipping option with FedEx. So if you use that shipping option it will take two days to arrive once the blade is finished.

The first 3 blades I got from them were before the FedEx shipping option and those, one of them took 2 weeks, one took 4 weeks and one took 2.5 months. I believe the ones through the standard Hungarian post got stuck in costumes for a while.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I would go to their website and check it out.

I like to seal my blades myself. But back then I don't think they offered to seal the blades.

From personal experience, the blades they make need no tinkering. I would just order the blade you want. They know what they are doing. There is a reason I use the V+ as my main blade and not the custom or any of the others.

Putting another opinion based on this comment. You dont really need to seal it. I've never sealed any of my blade and they have been fine with the exception of my MJ Super ZLC that splintered on the edges (of all the blades that would splinter, it happened to the most expensive one i've had).

The finish on osp blades are at least as good as BTY and nittaku, probably the 2 best blade makers

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. I don't think you need to seal them either. But I like to. Part of why I like to is that the sealant protects the wood from the water in the water based glued. At a certain point, gluing new rubbers on with WBG starts making the wood softer and causing the blade to play slower and with a less crisp feeling. So I like to seal them for that.

And so far, for me, the V+ has been the sturdiest blade I've ever owned. I was surprised to find out that it was even more able to withstand punishment than even my TB ZLC. I have slammed the edges pretty well and yet the blade has withstood the blows and sustained almost no damage.

Last edited: