UK Table Tennis Prospects

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Any decent prospects coming through?

Do you think the likes of Connor Green and Louis Price are going to be good enough to become top 20/30 players like Pitchford?

For me, our international prospects seem to be in a bad way, especially the girls. Tin Tin is still dominating the domestic scene but never seems to do that well internationally.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I was thinking the same thing at the recent Nationals. On the male side Connor does look to have the potential, but watching him lose to Chris Doran rather put his current level in perspective - he should be comfortably beating Chris in my view if he is to get to even top 50. Louis has played in Germany so seems to be getting the right exposure, but he also lost in U21's which I had thought he might be close to winning.

Larry Trumpauskas at 16 looks like he's developing very well and has the right mental approach?

The fact that Paul is still our best player outside of Pitch rather says it all in terms of young prospects.

On the ladies side there seems to be less progress than the mens as is evidenced by our international results - even USA seems to be much better recently.

Not sure what the answer is to get these guys to a higher level quicker.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I was thinking the same thing at the recent Nationals. On the male side Connor does look to have the potential, but watching him lose to Chris Doran rather put his current level in perspective - he should be comfortably beating Chris in my view if he is to get to even top 50. Louis has played in Germany so seems to be getting the right exposure, but he also lost in U21's which I had thought he might be close to winning.

Larry Trumpauskas at 16 looks like he's developing very well and has the right mental approach?

The fact that Paul is still our best player outside of Pitch rather says it all in terms of young prospects.

On the ladies side there seems to be less progress than the mens as is evidenced by our international results - even USA seems to be much better recently.

Not sure what the answer is to get these guys to a higher level quicker.
Yeah, i noticed that Louis is at the current Feeder event in Croatia and got knocked out in the first round of qualifying by an unranked Iranian. Considering that he's supposed to be one of our top prospects, i just think it's a bit worrying.

Agree with you re Connor, credentials wise he's by far the best prospect, but yeah, he doesn't seem to be kicking on that much.

Tianer Yu looks like the best UK female prospect imo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I though Connor looked really good at the Nationals - has a lovely style and nice to watch. Chris used all his craft and experience to win. Connor had match points. But It really was his wilyness that won :) Hes not a usual TT player and is a unique challenge!
A different draw and he would have went further I think. He seems to have a good temperament also. A lot of the youngsters seem a bit hot headed or lose there head if its not going there way.

Not convinced Louis will kick on - though I hope he does. Tianer Yu looks good but I think once people work out her style she doesnt look as good. The games she lost - she wasnt in it.

Tin-tin looked a class apart - tournament experience I would imagine. With the lack of prize money/funding/sponsorship etc its hard for these youngsters to learn if they arent being really pushed at the bigger events.

Last edited:
Reactions: d3nium
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I though Connor looked really good at the Nationals - has a lovely style and nice to watch. Chris used all his craft and experience to win. Connor had match points. But It really was his wilyness that won :)
A different draw and he would have went further I think. He seems to have a good temperament also. A lot of the youngsters seem a bit hot headed or lose there head if its not going there way.

Not convinced Louis will kick on - though I hope he does. Tianer Yu looks good but I think once people work out her style she doesnt look as good. The games she lost - she wasnt in it.

Tin-tin looked a class apart - tournament experience I would imagine. With the lack of prize money/funding/sponsorship etc its hard for these youngsters to learn if they arent being really pushed at the bigger events.
How were the nationals? I went to the last couple, but the atmosphere was so poor last time, i didn't bother going this year.

How did Tom Jarvis play? I guess TTE sees him as Drinkhall's eventual replacement?

Maybe some of our prospects should go to France, they seem to be churning prospects out on conveyor belts at the moment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
How were the nationals? I went to the last couple, but the atmosphere was so poor last time, i didn't bother going this year.

How did Tom Jarvis play? I guess TTE sees him as Drinkhall's eventual replacement?

Maybe some of our prospects should go to France, they seem to be churning prospects out on conveyor belts at the moment.
I went the Friday and Sat as my coach was playing didnt bother with the Finals. The atmosphere was better on the Friday and I enjoyed it - there was some great close games. The Saturday was pretty weird - no atmosphere seemed less people? And the scheduling was just silly. There was a massive gap in the middle of the day when it seemed no one was playing. They had some of the para finals and no other games were on - have them on the Sunday if you want to go down to one table.

I think these events how they are drawn are really hard for the top seeds, they play hardly any games and are straight in the action. Where the qualifiers and younger players have had plenty of time to get into the tournament. Tom looked good when he was on it but didnt look as assured as previously. Paul was fired up (maybe knew it was one of his last chances in the singles) just looked hungrier, and you could tell he was going to win. Tom almost looked too relaxed.

I think your right - they certainly would benefit from going abroad to push themselves. It does seem the setup of the youngsters is very cliquey. I dont know how hungry they really are.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I think your right - they certainly would benefit from going abroad to push themselves. It does seem the setup of the youngsters is very cliquey. I dont know how hungry they really are.
I guess it comes down to money.

I remember when Tom first won the nationals a couple of years ago, Matthew Syed wrote an article in the Times ripping TTE to bits, i agreed with every word.

Link here if anyone is interested in reading it - https://ghostarchive.org/archive/opReU

NDH

says Spin to win!
Do you think the likes of Connor Green and Louis Price are going to be good enough to become top 20/30 players like Pitchford?

I think the sad truth is..... Why would anyone want to?

If we ignore the UK's dismal attitude to table tennis for a second (although that does play a part), why would a junior have aspirations of earning a salary that barely (if it even does) earns more than some graduate level account manager.

I know it sounds depressing, but that's the reality of it - Not just in the UK, but globally.

With only the *very* top of the sport able to make a healthy living (without needing to resort to coaching jobs etc), it's just incredibly unappealing.

Factor in a country like the UK with little infrastructure and a terrible governing body which provides little to no opportunity for youngsters..... and this is what you are left with.

This user has no status.
I guess it comes down to money.

I remember when Tom first won the nationals a couple of years ago, Matthew Syed wrote an article in the Times ripping TTE to bits, i agreed with every word.

Link here if anyone is interested in reading it - https://ghostarchive.org/archive/opReU
Only £800!? Thats nearly enough for dignics🤣🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I think the sad truth is..... Why would anyone want to?

If we ignore the UK's dismal attitude to table tennis for a second (although that does play a part), why would a junior have aspirations of earning a salary that barely (if it even does) earns more than some graduate level account manager.

I know it sounds depressing, but that's the reality of it - Not just in the UK, but globally.

With only the *very* top of the sport able to make a healthy living (without needing to resort to coaching jobs etc), it's just incredibly unappealing.

Factor in a country like the UK with little infrastructure and a terrible governing body which provides little to no opportunity for youngsters..... and this is what you are left with.

While I don't disagree - I don't think (bar football in the UK) anyone goes into a sport as a career to make money.
But there is a difference between being able to live and train and earn pretty much zero from the sport.

Reactions: PaddyPolar

NDH

says Spin to win!
While I don't disagree - I don't think (bar football in the UK) anyone goes into a sport as a career to make money.
But there is a difference between being able to live and train and earn pretty much zero from the sport.
I agree with you initially.

But by the age of 13/14, I think both the child and the parents are definitely considering the possible outcome of them taking it further (and what financial implication that might have).

If the child is a multi sport athlete (as they often are), Table Tennis is nearly always going to be the "back up" sport.

This isn't even discussing the severe lack of coaching and opportunities that are available to kids in the UK (for Table Tennis).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I agree with you initially.

But by the age of 13/14, I think both the child and the parents are definitely considering the possible outcome of them taking it further (and what financial implication that might have).

If the child is a multi sport athlete (as they often are), Table Tennis is nearly always going to be the "back up" sport.

This isn't even discussing the severe lack of coaching and opportunities that are available to kids in the UK (for Table Tennis).
Putting the money issue aside, how would they even begin to plan a development path to international standard without moving lock stock and barrel to another country at a very young age?

Louis and a few others have/are playing overseas now but it looks to be too late for them to get where they need to go from what I can see.

We just don't have the support structure or coaching establishment not least the quality of players they would need to be training with do we?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Putting the money issue aside, how would they even begin to plan a development path to international standard without moving lock stock and barrel to another country at a very young age?

Louis and a few others have/are playing overseas now but it looks to be too late for them to get where they need to go from what I can see.

We just don't have the support structure or coaching establishment not least the quality of players they would need to be training with do we?
I wonder what France are doing differently to us?

More government support? Better infrastructure etc?

I'm assuming that our under 11 prospect is living/training in another country?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I wonder what France are doing differently to us?

More government support? Better infrastructure etc?

I'm assuming that our under 11 prospect is living/training in another country?
I think probably all of those things.

The Lebruns father was professional so think they were always going to go that way.

Reactions: d3nium
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

Agree - without the structure and development plan, it isn't going to happen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I think probably all of those things.

The Lebruns father was professional so think they were always going to go that way.

Yeah the Lebruns are from a TT family, but there's plenty of TT families in the UK.

I think table tennis is really on its arse in the UK.

My local league are losing teams and divisions every year, we have no juniors, loads of pensioners, and even when juniors come on the scene they get scared off by all the funny bats, late nights etc.

If I ever become a billionaire, I will fund table tennis in the UK on my own haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Yeah the Lebruns are from a TT family, but there's plenty of TT families in the UK.

I think table tennis is really on its arse in the UK.

My local league are losing teams and divisions every year, we have no juniors, loads of pensioners, and even when juniors come on the scene they get scared off by all the funny bats, late nights etc.

If I ever become a billionaire, I will fund table tennis in the UK on my own haha
Same here - our league is down to 6 div 1 teams (playing each other 3 times!) and 10 in Div 2...

NDH

says Spin to win!

I don't entirely disagree with you.

I also don't have the answers as to how it improves in this country.

But what I do know, is that it is, and has been, run extremely poorly for many years.

Although looking at recent issues, this seems to be a requirement if you want to run a national TT association! 😂