Using shoulders in forehand topspin?

says Win by Spin!
says Win by Spin!
Aug 2022
Read 3 reviews
The forehand topspin technique doesn't require too much shoulder, but pretty much torso rotation and power transfer and wrist. Focus more on the wrist movement, at least that is what I do. Also your elbow should be moving back and forth a bit while topspinning. Using your legs is also cruical, a little bit of knee-bending when rotating your body.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Shoulders???

Nooooooooo......
IMG_5674.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
At least according to Ti Long, you use more shoulder depending on how far away from the table you play. Close to the table, you shouldn't be using any since it messes with the stability of the shot and also makes recovery more difficult. Far away from the table, swinging the shoulder forward adds extra forward momentum and speed.

Reactions: offensiveplayer
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi, i train for five years and i have a bit older coach who teached me to use shoulders in my forehand topspin, but now i see others do not do that. And my swing is long when i use shoulders , so how can i fix that?
Any chance you can post footage of your FH. It could be 30 seconds and just a few FHs. It is hard to actually comment on technique without seeing what someone is actually doing.

Your stroke might be totally fine and you might not need to worry.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Shoulder is really the upper arm. Ti Long has a good video he just released on fixing it. It's pretty much what I would try to get someone to understand. What I like about it is that he also shows a high level player having the same technical issue so that people can realize that unless it is causing injury, it might not be the end of the world for your quality of ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Shoulder is really the upper arm. Ti Long has a good video he just released on fixing it. It's pretty much what I would try to get someone to understand. What I like about it is that he also shows a high level player having the same technical issue so that people can realize that unless it is causing injury, it might not be the end of the world for your quality of ball.

Great video - certainly my biggest FH issue is too much shoulder And upper arm use.

Topspins used to be explained completely differently than they are in modern table tennis. Previously, a topspin came much more from the shoulder and the ball was also taken much lower with a long arm movement. Just look at J-M Saive's topspin move.
Many more injuries were sustained because over time the shoulder tendon becomes inflamed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Good post:

Shoulder is really the upper arm.

This would be my first thought and hopefully that is what is meant because other options for what he might mean seem more risky from a biomechanical standpoint. But since it is only words we still would need to see the actual technique of the OP.