Video of my counterpunch, please give me advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Impressed by the play of Ayalog, I decided to put more time into practicing my block and counterpunch. I took a little video of backhand and forehand blocks and counters. I had some errors, but also some successful punches. Please give me advice!

https://youtu.be/NLa0fLorogk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
MZ... Looks like you are trying to do the Kim Jung Hoon Style of BH "Push" Counter-Attack.

Nothing wrong with that. Actually, that shot is even better for you if the ball comes a little too far inside your strike zone. This shot strikes the ball well even if it is almost in your "middle".

You are not using enough back coiling and forward extension and your grip is not FIRMING at impact. You need a huge firming right at impact (stay loose until then) When you can time the ball arrival to the impact point, you can deliver a big counter punch to the ball and often finish the point. This shot is a great choice if the ball is coming too inside your strike zone (between the middle of your strike zone and your body).

Here is a Korean vid (I might have made a thread on this KJH vid years ago.

Here is a vid from the head coach of the Samsung Life team. He made this vid a few years ago as part of a series where he and youtuber "Takkyu" were training up a few amateur players to gain several levels. They also call this BH counter attack a BH Push. Their style of this BH counter is much closer to the type of BH Counter I prefer to use.

I use a a little wrist and a little lower arm with firming right at impact. I help my chances out with a tiny step towards the ball or a little of my body. I can counter incoming drives or incoming HEAVY slow topspin balls with this shot. Very easy to get into play, few moving parts, very consistent. You just need to discern the arrival time/point of the ball when it gets to your strike zone.

Here is the vid and it has ENG subs. I might have made a thread on this vid as well, I make a lot of threads on Coach Lee's technique vids, which many are already in ENG subs a week after the vid posts.

• Love
Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I'll try that hand firming technique for next time, that seems to make sense.

But I don't really see that back coiling and arm extension as practical. When your opponent is power looping to you, you don't know which direction the ball will come, and you don't have enough time to coil back, and extend into the ball. In the video, the "looper" was going very slow and to the same spot every time.

In reality, the looper will attack you very hard and fast, so you don't have enough time for a heavy windup.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
MZ,

The situation you are describing, an incoming fast/hard drive or powerloop to your middle or BH it is true - you do not know where the ball is going and there is not a lot of time to figure it out. A BH counter the way you seem to want to strike it (longer lower and upper arm movement) is not a good choice of shot. You are better blocking it with a firm grip... then later, when your timing to impact point is better, a tiny movement.

The second BH vid from Samsung Life with a little shorter stroke than shown on the vid is a better when you are facing a faster shot. These vids are showing how to BH punch when you have a little time or a lower energy ball. When you are out of time facing a strong incoming ball, shorten everything. It does not take much time to execute a 5-10 cm BH stroke with firming at the end. That is all you need close to the table or near the table to make a strong counter under time pressure.

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
Impressed by the play of Ayalog, I decided to put more time into practicing my block and counterpunch. I took a little video of backhand and forehand blocks and counters. I had some errors, but also some successful punches. Please give me advice!

https://youtu.be/NLa0fLorogk
Nice! Michael thanks for sharing a video of your practice. With a visual reference like a video. it beats thousand of words.

If you want to punch a topspin ball, don't loop or topspin. Just punch it. That is why I notice many of your ball goes long. If you want to topspin the ball ala drive, then you have to close you racquet, almost parallel to the table.

A drive is a topspin stroke. A punch is flat hit stroke. Don't mix them up. Decide which one you want to do. Hope this helps.

Happy Pongin'!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis