Videos of pros with short pips on backhand for playing tactics?

says Back on TTD finally 🥳
Hi guys, I’ve recently made the switch from a pimples in rubber (Tenergy 05 in 2.1) to short pips (Tibhar D.Tecs Speedy Soft in 2.0) on my backhand.
I wasn’t able to play a pain-free backhand topspin with inverted rubbers due to an injury before, and I feel like the pips give me more options to play offensively / play safer and more unpleasant blocks and I also like to chop from time to time.

Do you guys know videos of pros / or names of pros or high-level players who use short pips on their backhand with an offensive playing style?
I’d like to watch them to analyse playing tactics and techniques to help me improve.
Maybe this will also deliver a nice collection of videos displaying this playstyle for others to watch. I will then create a YouTube playlist from it.

For now, I usually watch videos of Alfredas Udra (UdraTT on YouTube) because I love his style. You know someone else playing like him?

Cheers!

This user has no status.
Many Japanese girls use short pips on BH to attack

Mima ITO , (Ai FUKUHARA), Minami ANDO, Asuka SASAO, (Miyu MAEDA), Maki SHIOMI, Misaki MORIZONO; Kyoka SATO, (Yu AMANO), Moe NOMURA, (Misako WAKAMIYA), Yurika NAMBA etc... to name a few.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
analyse playing tactics and techniques to help me improve.
Hi there

SP on BH is to either use spin to trick your opponent or to use it as with speed.
Speed is obviously for more advance players and something you can aim for.
For spin, you can mix it up with light spin, no spin etc and creating opportunity for the ball to pop up and kill with your FH.

Reactions: jammmail and Masta5
Many Japanese girls use short pips on BH to attack

Mima ITO , (Ai FUKUHARA), Minami ANDO, Asuka SASAO, (Miyu MAEDA), Maki SHIOMI, Misaki MORIZONO; Kyoka SATO, (Yu AMANO), Moe NOMURA, (Misako WAKAMIYA), Yurika NAMBA etc... to name a few.
I totally forgot about the Japanese players! Great list, thank you!

Hi there

SP on BH is to either use spin to trick your opponent or to use it as with speed.
Speed is obviously for more advance players and something you can aim for.
For spin, you can mix it up with light spin, no spin etc and creating opportunity for the ball to pop up and kill with your FH.

That’s the plan! For now, I’m going for safer plays but I already hit fast blocks from time to time. It’s super fun - I am still discovering all of the new possibilities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Johnny Huang was one of the best pips out attackers and had such a pretty style. Though in the 38 mm ball era, I think his strokes and tactics are still relevant. Here is a restored video of him in '98:

There are several other videos from that tournament, including his victory over Walder in the semis.

Today I stumbled across two videos of this pretty high level player who happens to play short pips on his backhand:

Ananth Devarajan - India
According to tt-reference his current WR is around 380 and within the German national ranking he would rank in the top 150. So definitely someone I and maybe some more people can learn a lot from.

These are the 2 videos:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Today I stumbled across two videos of this pretty high level player who happens to play short pips on his backhand:

Ananth Devarajan - India
According to tt-reference his current WR is around 380 and within the German national ranking he would rank in the top 150. So definitely someone I and maybe some more people can learn a lot from.

These are the 2 videos:

Good video to analysis
For higher level players, the point won will mostly be with FH

For lower level, service return spin variation and control is an advantage for SP BH players.
So I suggest you can also think about your strategy from service return too, to open up opportunities.

Reactions: Masta5
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
You should look at He Zhi Wen. He is a c-pen player that uses just one side. I know this isn't real BH but the general idea is the same. Take ball off the bounce at only a little more than net height and hit at angles. Once you get a high return start pounding the ball until you win the point. He Zhi Wen doesn't move back from the table. He Zhi Wen is getting old now and he isn't as good as he was many years back.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

Choung Yun fierce pips-out. Special edition rubber., under 1 mm by thickness,

Last edited:
Reactions: Metaxa
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Mentioning his name, got me some questions

What's his current equipment nowadays, since clippa being discontinued :rolleyes:
Been wondering the same thing myself. Last time I checked his setup was Clipper Oversize WRB, H3 and Clippa but I've no clue what he's got now

says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
May 2021
Been wondering the same thing myself. Last time I checked his setup was Clipper Oversize WRB, H3 and Clippa but I've no clue what he's got now

It'll be interesting to see what pips he's using right now after clippa being dicontinued. Been trying some short pips in search for something as versatile as clippa, but to no avail. 🤪

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Good video to analysis
For higher level players, the point won will mostly be with FH

For lower level, service return spin variation and control is an advantage for SP BH players.
So I suggest you can also think about your strategy from service return too, to open up opportunities.
What is a good BH SP for this style of play @Tony's Table Tennis ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
What is a good BH SP for this style of play @Tony's Table Tennis ?
You get 2 types of short pips
1 is for speed
the other is for more "sunken" ball. I can't think of the correct English word for that (not sure if there is one for it)

Speed is more easier to operate, but also easier for opponent to return
sunken SP is more difficult to use, but your opponent would hit the ball into the net more often if not careful.
So they will need to lift more. And when they aim to live more, you can give them floaters (no spin) and that would pop up. But sunken sp isn't easy to use, and you could net the ball more than speed SP

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
You get 2 types of short pips
1 is for speed
the other is for more "sunken" ball. I can't think of the correct English word for that (not sure if there is one for it)

Speed is more easier to operate, but also easier for opponent to return
sunken SP is more difficult to use, but your opponent would hit the ball into the net more often if not careful.
So they will need to lift more. And when they aim to live more, you can give them floaters (no spin) and that would pop up. But sunken sp isn't easy to use, and you could net the ball more than speed SP
Cool thanks. Do you have an example of the to types?