Westchester Table Tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
in Japan, from junior high school (12+ yo kids) they have sports club for before and after classes. TT is very popular and all those clubs usually have good coaches.

There are many other options as well for the richer as well as the poorer - and for the younger kids. Many TT schools, where you kids can take private lessons and/or group lessons with coaches. a typical monthly fee is around 150$. in public clubs it can be much cheaper, albeit the coach quality would be less.

for adults, if you don't need a coach but just to play for your (team) buddies, unfortunately there aren't "clubs" like in Europe. there aren't even amateur club championship league competitions like there where you'd play weekly or 20-30 times a year. so you sometimes have to a be a nomad. You can play occasionally in a TT school if they have a free table (book online), or go to a public venue, but it can be crowded on WE or evenings. - or not available always, booked for other sports, or booked by groups etc..

in a TT school in central Tokyo, you'll book a table for 1000 yens (7.$) an hour per person, in the old "workers welfare hall" it may cost only 2$. In the public venue i play usually its 500 yens giving you access to everything the whole day (there's a gym, swimming pool etc...). its funded by my taxes so im trying to enjoy it as much as i can.

Talking proper path to being PRO,

Japan, Korea and Taiwan are likely the countries with the best table tennis school system, where players are developed and moved up the rank from elementary age and balance education.
They have "sport class", where student will study less hours than the normal kids and train more in sports (all kinds of sport)

China is a gov program with a school system, then sport school system.
This is where education is very limited.

Most of every where else is "club" system - mostly not affiliated to schools. So kids will go there after school, in evenings or weekends.

Of course in Asia, there are lots of community centres with TT tables and cost to play is low.
Then you get lots of TT centers (can be a small place with few tables only) and normally main source of income is coaching elementary school kids. Mostly in a cramp space.

End of the day, club/venue owner has rent to pay and need to put food on the table.
The coaches need to put food on the table (and they can't work till 60+ years old and most don't have a pension).
It would be great that gov or someone fits all the bills (I guess all tt coaches in France are gov employees)

But rather take (be) control of your own income stream (future) than waiting for handouts is what I have learnt in South Africa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Of course it's not, you think everyone that goes to a club lives in the city the club is located in...? It's a close NYC suburb, is NYC a small town?

You think everyone who goes to LATTA lives in EL Monte and noone comes from LA and cities in a 1 hour radius? I've yet to meet one person at LATTA who actually lives in EL Monte...

I think TB is still new to the sport. 18 months right?
and not yet of a EJ, most expensive blade at $40 is my memory from reading recently is right.

TB

TABLE TENNIS fans does CRAZY things.

Take Thomas for example. Ask him how many blades has he "tried out" in his life?
He has more blades than a playboy with girls.

Germany has the most clubs / ratio to population in the world.
Many of the clubs are in small towns. Many towns still don't have clubs.
I know people who travels over an hours to the nearby town to play.
I also know some of the top German clubs are in a town with little population (very impressive with so little player base and have the top club in the world)

Its Crazy I tell you.

• Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I think TB is still new to the sport. 18 months right?
and not yet of a EJ, most expensive blade at $40 is my memory from reading recently is right.

TB

TABLE TENNIS fans does CRAZY things.

Take Thomas for example. Ask him how many blades has he "tried out" in his life?
He has more blades than a playboy with girls.

Germany has the most clubs / ratio to population in the world.
Many of the clubs are in small towns. Many towns still don't have clubs.
I know people who travels over an hours to the nearby town to play.
I also know some of the top German clubs are in a town with little population (very impressive with so little player base and have the top club in the world)

Its Crazy I tell you.
If only the blades liked me back lol.

I've broken up with many blades along the way, sold them away.

The things I do for passion.