What would you choose, if you were only allowed ONE serve the rest of your life??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Hey all. New to the forums. I'm 26 years old and have been an above knee amputee for 5 years now. I love ping pong and the community that comes with it.

Thought I'd have a little fun with my first post, so please enlighten me and give me your opinion on the question:

If you were told you could only use ONE serve the rest of your life, what would you choose and why?

** Note, who you are playing, etc, does not matter in this question. You are only allowed ONE serve no matter who your opponent is etc. Just one.

Mine would be Ma Lin's Ghost serve (extreme back spin, short). Yours?

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Welcome to the site buddy, great to have you on board here!

Love the question, for me I would choose short sidespin/backspin to the middle of the table. This would able me to get my forehand in often. I would use this at deuce in the set (opps giving away tactics here haha).

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: TTlover11
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The only problem with answering the question is that, the main advantage that a serve gives is the surprise of randomness. No matter how much spin you put on the ball, if it is the same spin and placement every time, it becomes easy. Long, fast serves are only effective if you lull your opponent into expecting slow, short serves. No spin serves are extremely effective, especially when well disguised after heavy underspin serves.

Ma Lin's serve that everyone is talking about, like Liu Gouliang's favorite combination, is actually not the ghost serve, but the ghost serve mixed in with the no spin that looks almost exactly like the ghost serve. Liu Gouliang did not even separate them as two different serves. He called them the spin/no-spin serve, alternating between them randomly with the same delivery and varying the placement.

So, if it is only one serve, I would take the spin/no-spin serve. :)

And it really is the same serve. It is the same exact movement and action, the same exact delivery and mechanics. The only difference is how you contact the ball and what part of the blade face you contact the ball with.

Last edited: