Where does the future of online table tennis content lie? 🏓

NDH

says Spin to win!

NDH

says Spin to win!
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Feb 2016
1,640
2,937
5,249
Read 3 reviews

I've been thinking about this for a while, and the recent $1,000 PingPod exhibition match has brought it back to the forefront.​


For those who missed it, PingPod recently streamed a match involving their CEO and Tim Cudjoe, with Dan and Beast providing commentary.

Firstly, credit to everyone involved for trying something different. I'm all for people experimenting with new formats and trying to bring more attention to the sport.

But I found myself asking a fairly simple question: Who was this actually aimed at, and what was it hoping to achieve?

Was the intention to attract new audiences? Entertain existing table tennis fans? Build personalities? Generate interest in PingPod?

And, perhaps more importantly, did it succeed?

That got me thinking about the wider online table tennis community.

Are we actually any good at creating engaging table tennis content?

There seem to be remarkably few table tennis content creators or personalities who gain genuine traction beyond an established, relatively small audience.

I'm predominantly exposed to the Western table tennis scene, so I fully appreciate things might be very different in Asia.

But compared with other sports, it sometimes feels like we've struggled to develop personalities, stories and content that people actively want to follow.

Even here on TTD, a forum full of passionate table tennis enthusiasts, the overwhelming majority of discussion seems to revolve around equipment, professional players and results.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

But even some of Dan's own TTD content threads seem to generate surprisingly little discussion these days. That's particularly interesting when you consider that TTD is arguably one of the biggest and most recognisable content creators in our sport.

So what are we missing?

I've mentioned elsewhere that I personally struggle to find amateur table tennis entertaining to watch unless I'm invested in the people playing. The standard isn't necessarily the problem; it's that I need a reason to care about the outcome.

But that's just my perspective, and perhaps I'm completely out of touch with what other people enjoy!

Which brings me to the real reason for this thread.

If you could shape the future of online table tennis content, what would you actually want to see?

  • More amateur and grassroots table tennis, with relatable players and personalities?
  • More professionally produced challenges, exhibitions and entertaining formats?
  • More behind-the-scenes access to professional players and their lives?
  • More community-based content, events and collaborations?
  • Or are equipment reviews, tutorials and professional match coverage genuinely what most of us want?
And specifically, if Dan and the TTD team gave you a blank canvas and asked what content YOU wanted them to make, what would your answer be?

I'm not suggesting any of these ideas are necessarily the solution. Perhaps there's an entirely different direction we've barely explored.

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from people who regularly consume table tennis content, those who rarely bother, and those who create it themselves.

Is there a bigger audience out there that we simply haven't worked out how to reach? Or is this just the natural ceiling for a relatively niche sport?

Genuinely interested to hear everyone's thoughts. No right or wrong answers here!
 
An issue that table tennis has had for many years is it does not come over well on TV / Video as the subtleties of for example of spin, can't be seen and also the game appears slower than it is (so does tennis but the difference is more pronounced), so enlarging the ball did not help. Accordingly, any on-line content that can bring out these subtleties and variations (slow-mo for one) would be good. For many of us it is why we enjoy the sport, so if we can convey that, it will be great.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
May 2024
321
320
933
I saw a thread online recently about TT clothing and how it needs to have more “fashion” and it got me thinking in the direction of your post. As someone who has been in a basketball world for the first half of my life, lived in Europe and in the US, if I had a blank canvas I’d engage professional players, share their stories and behind the scenes of a tournament. Professional players live intense lives where they travel all the time so I’d imagine it’d be really fun content to watch for the lovers of the sport and for the people that haven’t watched the sport before to bring them in.

People love to see the human behind the sport and with this kind of content that’s exactly what you’d get with this kind of content :)
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2024
2,564
3,465
8,202
Read 7 reviews
I couldn't give a rat's ass about two richos making a $1000 bet and flying TTD in for commentary, pardon my French. I don't understand why this had to be a thing and I hope it can be collectively forgotten quickly.

For me, the best TTD video content has been about the balance between being relatable and decent level play. TTD league, the internal tournaments, the whole crew with people who I can get invested in.

Dan doing the training routine with Wim Verdonschot was surprisingly good fun.

I don't care much about the equipment reviews, because they're usually pretty much the same. Every rubber is the best rubber yet, and none of that tells me if it's any good for me.
 

NDH

says Spin to win!

NDH

says Spin to win!
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Feb 2016
1,640
2,937
5,249
Read 3 reviews
An issue that table tennis has had for many years is it does not come over well on TV / Video as the subtleties of for example of spin, can't be seen and also the game appears slower than it is (so does tennis but the difference is more pronounced), so enlarging the ball did not help. Accordingly, any on-line content that can bring out these subtleties and variations (slow-mo for one) would be good. For many of us it is why we enjoy the sport, so if we can convey that, it will be great.
This seems to relate to the professional game though, Ken?

I'm talking about outside of the professional game - Other sports have content creators (like TTD) who have huge followings and produce lots of different content. Table tennis seemingly has very few.

Professional players live intense lives where they travel all the time so I’d imagine it’d be really fun content to watch for the lovers of the sport and for the people that haven’t watched the sport before to bring them in.
I've seen this in other sports more recently - Fringe players of whatever sport starting to build an online following (perhaps for a career after their professional career has finished).

I'd like to see more of that in table tennis - But that relies on the content creator also doing a lot of content creation outside of the professional sphere.

The only content I am consuming these days that is tt related, are coaching videos from pro coaches. And whatever Table Tennis 11 decides to publish. Their comparisons have been quite interesting.
OK, and what would you LIKE to see more of? What would make you watch other TT content?

I couldn't give a rat's ass about two richos making a $1000 bet and flying TTD in for commentary, pardon my French. I don't understand why this had to be a thing and I hope it can be collectively forgotten quickly.
I found it strange, because I hadn't heard of @Tim Cudjoe or the CEO of PingPod - But Is that because there was no marketing of the event, lack of general awareness or because it was a local, niche thing?

Dan is partnered to a degree with PingPod, hence the commentary (done from the comfort of the UK by the way).

Tim - What do you think the event set out to achieve outside of a personal wager?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tyce
Great topic. I'll give me perspective as a creator and also as a viewer. I've experimented with different types of content over the years, but what seems to work best for me is making relatable tutorials for amateur table tennis players. I think there will always be a demand for tutorials. When I started, there was only a few of us making tutorials. But now there is A LOT more. So the demand is there and different players / coaches bring different perspectives and players will always want to learn more and develop.

I often think about taking a different approach, maybe content based on my league / tournament matches. But I completely agree with you @NDH , amateur table tennis is largely dull and obviously much lower quality than the pro game. I think content based on the amateur game could be successful, but it needs very good story telling, development of personalities and a compelling narrative. This takes a ton of work to both plan, film and edit. It's a big job. In the past TTD have done a pretty good job at this with their team videos. I enjoyed watching these. But from a creator perspective I also know how much work is needed to make each video. And you simply don't get rewarded enough by YouTube for the huge amount of effort needed for this type of video.

On the pro side, the WTT tour has made table tennis much more interesting (for me at least). And the filming TTD, Pongfinity and Adam Bobrow do with pro players helps us to get to know them better. So we are starting to get a little more of personal story telling, which makes us want to tune in and follow the players we like. But we just need much more of it. It feels like table tennis needs something like Netflix to get involved and make a big glitzy documentary following some pro players or even charting the journey of junior players. Something like this could be successful and reach a wider audience than any of us solo creators could do.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: latej, Tyce and NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2025
243
366
1,051
For me, the most fun content is the stuff where we get to see pros play and do challenges with amateur players and just share their experience and be relaxed.

Grassroots content in a lot of sports is pretty fun, but in table tennis it just kinda doesn't hit the same.

Not sure what the solution is to that, it's just hard to make it look interesting at lower levels.
 

NDH

says Spin to win!

NDH

says Spin to win!
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Feb 2016
1,640
2,937
5,249
Read 3 reviews
When I started, there was only a few of us making tutorials. But now there is A LOT more. So the demand is there and different players / coaches bring different perspectives and players will always want to learn more and develop.
Hey Tom,

I remember when you started making videos - Not because they were targeted at me as such, but because they stood out for the sheer fact it was table tennis content on YouTube!!

I often think about taking a different approach, maybe content based on my league / tournament matches. But I completely agree with you @NDH , amateur table tennis is largely dull and obviously much lower quality than the pro game. I think content based on the amateur game could be successful, but it needs very good story telling, development of personalities and a compelling narrative. This takes a ton of work to both plan, film and edit. It's a big job. In the past TTD have done a pretty good job at this with their team videos. I enjoyed watching these. But from a creator perspective I also know how much work is needed to make each video. And you simply don't get rewarded enough by YouTube for the huge amount of effort needed for this type of video.
This *very* closely follows what I feel.

I've made videos in the past, and with the 2 teams I'm involved in at local league (both teams current reigning Premier champions of their respected leagues, and actual personalities/people under the age of 50 who "get" YouTube), it would be prime to do something like this.... I even started an IG channel in the hope to capture the journey.

But the effort to reward ratio is monumental, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
On the pro side, the WTT tour has made table tennis much more interesting (for me at least). And the filming TTD, Pongfinity and Adam Bobrow do with pro players helps us to get to know them better. So we are starting to get a little more of personal story telling, which makes us want to tune in and follow the players we like. But we just need much more of it. It feels like table tennis needs something like Netflix to get involved and make a big glitzy documentary following some pro players or even charting the journey of junior players. Something like this could be successful and reach a wider audience than any of us solo creators could do.

Again, I'd absolutely watch this. And yes, it's not quite what I had in mind from a more "amateur POV", it would build the sport!

For me, the most fun content is the stuff where we get to see pros play and do challenges with amateur players and just share their experience and be relaxed.

Grassroots content in a lot of sports is pretty fun, but in table tennis it just kinda doesn't hit the same.

Not sure what the solution is to that, it's just hard to make it look interesting at lower levels.

I think the problem is.... The pro's don't want to instigate that, because they don't have a large online platform.

I can think of 2 or 3 content creators who have the platform to do this - But it would be good!

Wtt with their side angle - vomit!
Haha, preach!

I don't get how hard it is.... It boggles my mind that they can't get it right.
 
This seems to relate to the professional game though, Ken?

I'm talking about outside of the professional game - Other sports have content creators (like TTD) who have huge followings and produce lots of different content. Table tennis seemingly has very few.


I've seen this in other sports more recently - Fringe players of whatever sport starting to build an online following (perhaps for a career after their professional career has finished).

I'd like to see more of that in table tennis - But that relies on the content creator also doing a lot of content creation outside of the professional sphere.


OK, and what would you LIKE to see more of? What would make you watch other TT content?


I found it strange, because I hadn't heard of @Tim Cudjoe or the CEO of PingPod - But Is that because there was no marketing of the event, lack of general awareness or because it was a local, niche thing?

Dan is partnered to a degree with PingPod, hence the commentary (done from the comfort of the UK by the way).

Tim - What do you think the event set out to achieve outside of a personal wager?
I May not have explained it very well, but by way of example I know people who do not play or just recreationally that have not been attracted to the game by watching it on TV. A friend of mine with no experience of the game went to watch an international event recently and was put off by the very short rallies, if they are even long enough to be called that.
 

NDH

says Spin to win!

NDH

says Spin to win!
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Moderator
Feb 2016
1,640
2,937
5,249
Read 3 reviews
I May not have explained it very well, but by way of example I know people who do not play or just recreationally that have not been attracted to the game by watching it on TV. A friend of mine with no experience of the game went to watch an international event recently and was put off by the very short rallies, if they are even long enough to be called that.
Yeah, I think that's a valid point from a "does table tennis as a sport appeal to the casual watcher" - And the answer is generally a "no".
But how do content creators engage with the TT community?

I'd hazard a guess that *most* of the UK players playing in local leagues watch zero TT on Youtube or online - Be that people like TTD or the pro matches from WTT.
 

K.K

This user has no status.

K.K

This user has no status.
Member
Aug 2024
386
412
1,083
I'd hazard a guess that *most* of the UK players playing in local leagues watch zero TT on Youtube or online - Be that people like TTD or the pro matches from WTT.
+1 to this, most of my fellow club players don't even watch professional TT and don't dare to watch anything else related to that. some of the more amateur people really like pongfinity and adam bobrow because it is fun and silly, but some of the older and more experienced players don't even know that at all.

personally i like the behind the scenes content like ricardo walther and seth pech are doing, but would love to have it a bit more exciting and with more energy like in other sports. i see that sometimes in the content of newer generation players, where they have fun while playing and besides the table, but not because they do silly stuff, but because they enjoy the sport so much
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2024
2,564
3,465
8,202
Read 7 reviews
Not questioning the usefulness of tutorials, but in reality, how many does one need?

There's already a dozen channels, including @Tom Lodziak , that are offering more than enough comprehensive content to learn a good amount of skills if one so pleases. (I personally think Seth Pech has probably one of the most complete sets of resources for the intermediate player *and* does an excellent job at explaining.)

I don't think TTD expanding the (plain) tutorial space would be the breakthrough content needed to bring TT and TTD content to another level. There's already a Coaching section here (which I only realized again at the end of writing this post)

Enough with the criticism though. Here's a few ideas from the top of my head:
- Team Tom vs Team Dan. Both recruit or get assigned a small team of beginner players and have X weeks to whip them into ball killing machines. Maybe a couple of matches/challenges along the way and of course a grand final showdown where the teams take each other on in a proper match. Donkeys included!
You could make this quite a useful series too if you cover the actual drills, tips, and other things that help these guys make progress.

- (This likely isn't gonna happen because it would have already) Actual, factual, thorough equipment reviews using SpinSight. I think I speak for the entire EJ community when I say the Internet needs this but it feels like there's some kind of unspoken stuff going on that prevents this from happening. If you were able to bring it, this would be unique.

- Behind the scenes series. Rubber and blade manufacturing, a look inside the commentary booth at large events? Following a player throughout a tournament? Ideas building on the 24h with Wim video. There's definitely some opportunities for sponsor exposure here.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Sep 2025
219
200
779
I would like to see Ricky Gervais (or Dan?) send Waldner and Karl Pilkington around the world chasing tt stories. Visiting factories, training camps, sneaking on players on airports etc...like a mix of hidden camera and a travel show. Imagine Waldner shadowing Hitomi Sato trying to avoid getting notice while Karl Pilkington asks her stupid questions. I would love to send them to Nigeria trying to find Arunas father and mother, stuff like that.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Oct 2010
2,915
2,879
10,737
Tbh online content is now all about the memes, you just cant be too serious these days. Everyone is time poor and too stressed up with hardships everywhere that pretty much only memes can 'hit the spot' now...
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2025
130
131
454
Tbh online content is now all about the memes, you just cant be too serious these days. Everyone is time poor and too stressed up with hardships everywhere that pretty much only memes can 'hit the spot' now...
Yea, there are many great coaching videos online, but they might be too technical for beginners or the general public to enjoy. We might need some beginners with fun personality to share videos of their TT journeys along with their life, so people can relate.
 
Top