Which Hurricane 3 should I choose?

This user has no status.
I’ve been playing with Tenergy 05 on both sides. And I like them, they have plenty of speed and spin. But on the forehand it’s sometimes difficult to put on your own power and spin, and very hard to hit trough spin. I have a very good and smooth technique and I have good footwork and strength. I’ve played with Hurricane in the past, but it was too slow back then when I was younger, and didn’t have such abilities as now. I was looking at Hurricane 3 blue sponge and it was quite interesting to read reviews about it, because there were negative and positive reviews about it. I am planning to boost the hurricane 3. So if you have any opinions about this, please leave a comment and I’ll answer as quick as possible. Thanks! :)

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I’ve been playing with Tenergy 05 on both sides. And I like them, they have plenty of speed and spin. But on the forehand it’s sometimes difficult to put on your own power and spin, and very hard to hit trough spin. I have a very good and smooth technique and I have good footwork and strength. I’ve played with Hurricane in the past, but it was too slow back then when I was younger, and didn’t have such abilities as now. I was looking at Hurricane 3 blue sponge and it was quite interesting to read reviews about it, because there were negative and positive reviews about it. I am planning to boost the hurricane 3. So if you have any opinions about this, please leave a comment and I’ll answer as quick as possible. Thanks! :)

No disrespect
But if you struggle to put your own power and spin on Tenergy 05 to hit through spin, won't you have the same issue to put your own spin and power on Hurricane 3?

If you don't mind trying, just go for a normal provincial blue sponge Hurricane 3 and boost it and see if that solves your issue of getting the power and spin from the rubber.

Without the right technique, it is very difficult to get power and spin from H3 rubbers, especially in rallies.

This user has no status.
No disrespect
But if you struggle to put your own power and spin on Tenergy 05 to hit through spin, won't you have the same issue to put your own spin and power on Hurricane 3?

If you don't mind trying, just go for a normal provincial blue sponge Hurricane 3 and boost it and see if that solves your issue of getting the power and spin from the rubber.

Without the right technique, it is very difficult to get power and spin from H3 rubbers, especially in rallies.
Sorry, what I meant that there is a limit of power and spin due to it being a Japanese pored sponge and no tacky top sheet. I’ve heard that you can get more spin and power from the h3 if you have a good technique. But thanks for replying :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Sorry, what I meant that there is a limit of power and spin due to it being a Japanese pored sponge and no tacky top sheet. I’ve heard that you can get more spin and power from the h3 if you have a good technique. But thanks for replying :)

Than a tacky, harder sponged rubber is definitely an option.
If you're buying from Tabletennis11 I would get the Nittaku/DHS H3 Neo Orange Sponge (NR-8701) https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-hurricane-neo-3-8701 Has at least the same quality as a provincial H3 but cheaper ;) Otherwise I would get a provincial 39° or 40° blue sponge (around the same hardness as Glayzer 09C or Dignics 09C)
Boosting: Don't get Seamoon with 2021 printed on it https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/topics/hurricane-h3-with-curly-tail.29646/page-3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Why don't you start with a commercial version? You could save a lot of money and lose almost no performance. If you go for a harder sponge like 41deg, it fits better with a stiffer/harder blade while the softer around 39deg goes good with most blades.
On the contrary, softer rubbers play better on hard blades. Hard rubber on a hard blade gives you the feeling of playing with a wooden racket without rubber. Another thing is that for a fast hard blade it makes sense to use slower rubbers with a long ball delay.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I have noticed that the versions of the hurricanes vary greatly in weight. The more expensive the version, the lower the weight of the rubber. The commercial version is the cheapest and heaviest for equal sponge hardness. If weight is not critical for you and funds for the purchase are critical, then you can take the regular version and be sure to strengthen it, without amplification it is dead! If possible, then of course the provincial version is much better. My other advice to you is to still take a hurricane on an orange sponge, after tenergy it will be easier for you to play with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
On the contrary, softer rubbers play better on hard blades. Hard rubber on a hard blade gives you the feeling of playing with a wooden racket without rubber. Another thing is that for a fast hard blade it makes sense to use slower rubbers with a long ball delay.
Well. It depends on how you hit the ball. For me a H3 39deg feels too mushy and the effect when I use a H3 41deg on a stiffer, faster blade is much better. It's all individual :)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Well. It depends on how you hit the ball. For me a H3 39deg feels too mushy and the effect when I use a H3 41deg on a stiffer, faster blade is much better. It's all individual :)
Well said. One person's "hard" is another person's "soft and mushy".
H3 Provincial BS (this stands for blue sponge, not bullshit) is overrated and IMO not worth the extra money.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
No disrespect

I think that he means that due to tenergy being well.... tenergy, the rubber already imparts lots of speed, spin and power, making it harder for him to control the amount of force he puts on the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think that he means that due to tenergy being well.... tenergy, the rubber already imparts lots of speed, spin and power, making it harder for him to control the amount of force he puts on the ball.
ah, that makes sense.
its a control issue.
@Ahma, what blade are you using?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
No, it’s not the control. There is just a limit of spin and power. With Chinese rubbers there is no limit. I am using the Butterfly Viscaria blade.
Hm.. how old is your Tenergy 05?
First time i'm hearing someone saying T05 has a limit of spin and power, because that limit is really high.
T05 is like the pinnacle of a table tennis rubber and every brand is trying to make a T05 copy cat and has been for over 10 years.

Chinese rubbers have limit too.

You have a good blade

If you don't have a budget, then go provincial blue sponge H3. If you don't want to spend money, then try out the commercial version. Either way, boosting is recommended.

hardness wise, if coming from T05 (which is going to be softer), I would say use 40 degree, and boost.

This user has no status.
First time i'm hearing someone saying T05 has a limit of spin and power, because that limit is really high.
T05 is like the pinnacle of a table tennis rubber and every brand is trying to make a T05 copy cat and has been for over 10 years.

You have a good blade

If you don't have a budget, then go provincial blue sponge H3. If you don't want to spend money, then try out the commercial version. Either way, boosting is recommended.

hardness wise, if coming from T05 (which is going to be softer), I would say use 40 degree, and boost.
It’s quite new. Too soft for me on forehand. I ordered the Nittaku Hurricane 3 Neo, because it was in a discount. I ordered booster also.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

I'm with 2 Unlimited on this one

Of course there's a limit for Chinese rubbers too, and you get good spin with a Tenergy, but a H3 gives you more options as you can just hit through the Tenergy spin or brush it back harder with the right technique. But you have to work hard for it :)
You have a good blade

Reactions: JJ Ng and ttarc
This user has no status.
I'm with 2 Unlimited on this one

Of course there's a limit for Chinese rubbers too, and you get good spin with a Tenergy, but a H3 gives you more options as you can just hit through the Tenergy spin or brush it back harder with the right technique. But you have to work hard for it :)
Yep, but honestly I think H3 is going to help because I have a very brushy and forward type of forehand technique.

Reactions: JJ Ng and mocker88

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Same as OP I found a limit with T05 for FH in 1.9mm on ALC.

In peak physical and mental condition I use T05H 2.1, though as I don’t practice as much I am content using C53 Max+ as for me (key point) it is more forgiving and like T05H the power can be fed through all the way to my upper gear without instability. If I miss I know it is entirely the fault of my own (I feel this is what OP is trying to convey when power looping and T05 fails due to being slightly too soft now for his clean and or improving technique).

In case you decide to stay with T05 on Vis structure you can test it with the noticeably harder and faster Timo Boll ALC.

Though make sure the weight is the same or heavier than what you use currently.

And to save you time and $, from my experience boosting T05 or going to softer variant like ZJK/LGY/FZD ALC won’t solve your T05 FH problem.

Last edited: