Who gets ball?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
The one who didn't serve first in the 1st game starts serving in the second game. It doesn't matter who wins the games, the first server changes in each game.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is advantageous to serve in the first game (with exceptions (learning the opponents style)) because you serve in the last game if all the games are played.

I have been told something different. In games to 11 with 2 serves each, if your opponent serves first, then in the first, third and fifth games, at 9-9, 10-8 or 8-10, you get to serve. If it never happens that there is a one of those scores, it does not matter as much. But, I have won many matches by letting my opponent serve first and having those scenarios come up in my favor. I personally would prefer to have the serve at crunch time at the end of the game than at the beginning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Landers told me the same thing when I played doubles with him one time couple of years back ... I took his word for it , now I have a little more explanation.
I have been told something different. In games to 11 with 2 serves each, if your opponent serves first, then in the first, third and fifth games, at 9-9, 10-8 or 8-10, you get to serve. If it never happens that there is a one of those scores, it does not matter as much. But, I have won many matches by letting my opponent serve first and having those scenarios come up in my favor. I personally would prefer to have the serve at crunch time at the end of the game than at the beginning.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Landers told me the same thing when I played doubles with him one time couple of years back ... I took his word for it , now I have a little more explanation.

Haha. This is one of my sources for that strategy. :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
just think that the ball stays on 1 side of the table during the serving of each game.It doesnt matter about winner or loser.

eg.The person who starts serving on the left of the umpire serves first in the 1st game.

In the next game and all that follows,the 1st serve of each game will commence on the left of the umpire.

Reactions: Zaidam
just think that the ball stays on 1 side of the table during the serving of each game.It doesnt matter about winner or loser.

eg.The person who starts serving on the left of the umpire serves first in the 1st game.

In the next game and all that follows,the 1st serve of each game will commence on the left of the umpire.

This is how I remember whose serve it is when acting as the umpire. In a best of 5 format, the one who serves first also serves first in games 3 and 5, the opponent serves first in games 2 and 4.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

This is EXACTLY my intention when I win the decision on who serves, unless I know one side lighting is way crappy compared to the other side.

An offensive player should have a decisive advantage when the score is 9-9 and he or she is serving.