Who will topple China?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
The other thing is that the Chinese live under communist regime, the state will 'look after' them no matter what they do, so playing table tennis for a living is a viable option for them. For many players round the world the money just isn't in the sport to support table tennis players as professional athletes and without this incentive there are a number who are not willing to commit to the cause. We find that here in NZ our best players retire early to coach instead of play as coaching is where they can earn money from the sport. Without them competing against our young and blooming new representatives the growth in the sport has died off. However I digress from the point. Money makes the world go round :D lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
The other thing is that the Chinese live under communist regime, the state will 'look after' them no matter what they do, so playing table tennis for a living is a viable option for them. For many players round the world the money just isn't in the sport to support table tennis players as professional athletes and without this incentive there are a number who are not willing to commit to the cause. We find that here in NZ our best players retire early to coach instead of play as coaching is where they can earn money from the sport. Without them competing against our young and blooming new representatives the growth in the sport has died off. However I digress from the point. Money makes the world go round :D lol

hahaha ain't that the truth

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews

True to that bro.
My answer from my previous post --> Too spread means they are not centered like the Asian. Combined altogether, the number of potential players could be the same ( Asia vs Europe ), but in Asia the players are more centered and in Europe they are more spread. The other factor is the country itself, the training, etc etc you know what I mean bro.
How I could topple China ? Eh.. Thats a bit private haha maybe I will p.m you for the answer.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
How I could topple China ? Eh.. Thats a bit private haha maybe I will p.m you for the answer.

I look forward to hearing from you :p

Bojan Tokic played pretty well at WTTC and he has a powerful style, but let's not be hasty in assuming he's a new and emerging hero because he peaked at the right time he still didn't win the match. Chuang Chih Yuan beat Zhang Jike at last year's World Cup, I don't think he will topple China :p

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
No doubt, consistency is the true mark of a champion. Being on top of their game season in season out is the thing that distinguish a champion and the also ran....
Also, if you notice, champions peak towards the finals of a tournament. The further they go in a tourney, the tougher for others to beat them. You need other top players to dislodge them in the quarters or semis. The best time for unseeded or unheralded players to cause upsets will be in the 1st or 2nd round. Top players become more sharper as the a tourney progresses.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Bojan Tokic? He looked good against Ma Long in the 2nd round of the world championships. But he did not beat Ma Long and he is ranked #43. He appears on the world ranking since January 2001 which means he is not so young and his highest ranking is #38. Sometimes Ma Long struggles with players he should not struggle against, especially when they have good backhands. He looked good to me but I doubt any of the other players in the top 10 would have had trouble with him. I remember Seiya Kishikawa beating Ma Long 4-0 when Ma Long was ranked #1 and Ma Long just could not figure out what to do against him. At the time Kishikawa was ranked 69th or something. Again, it was Kishakawa's backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think the major 'problem' with Europese players is that they start a school career in first instance. Table tennis is always Plan B. If you can choose between a study to become a surgeon or full-time table tennis, the first option just gives you the best chance to earn a living by miles. Therefore Europe players only go professional when they have almost reached the top of their country. Theres only a very small % of table tennis players that actually TRY to hit the world top. In contrary to China, where table tennis is plan A for every talented kid.

Mar 2011
I totally agree with Wiwa. Its the same goes to most of us. like I said, parents play an important role in this matter. But then again, with the current prize money on offer, who could blame them. Its certainly not a way to earn a living.

As mentioned by pingpongpom and I quote "We find that here in NZ our best players retire early to coach instead of play as coaching is where they can earn money from the sport. Without them competing against our young and blooming new representatives the growth in the sport has died off. However I digress from the point. Money makes the world go round"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 2 reviews
i agree with people who talk about france and germany, as these are the most likely european nations to challenge asia anytime in the near future, the problem is though that european players and that still focus on things such as education untill most of the mfinish school before going professional, whereas the chinese and some other asians have them solely focused on table tennis from extremely young ages (in some cases as young as 4-5 years old) with china taking an approach like that it seems impossible for any european country to match the amount of practise they get. the fact that china has a population of over 1 billion people also makes it much easier for them as there talent pool is ridiculously bigger than other asian and european nations

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
When Michael Maze won the European Championships in 2009 I really thought that he was on the rise! He beat Timo 2 times in that tournament and he had never beat him before in a world tour tournament or at any championships!

I really hope i recovers completely soon and gets back to the top!! He can beat the chinese if getting as good as in 2009 !