Why are table tennis streams terrible quality?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I probably sound very negative but why are most table tennis streams in such terrible quality? ITTF use their own streaming service (it looks like) and it's terrible. barely 30fps and low bitrate which isn't constant so the screen gets a bit blurry which is something that ruins everything when your watching table tennis imo.

Then you have websites like twitch.tv where anyone in the world who has an ok computer and an ok internet line can stream video games or youtube where I haven't personally used their service it also seems like almost anyone can stream in really good quality (and even 60 fps).

And then when the event is over most ITTF or any youtube clips of the games are recordings from the stream so the quality of games uploaded is also horrible.

Crazy negative post but it annoys me when there already is much better alternatives to what ITTF for example is using if they just wanted to change...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have another question: why does the ITTF website look like it is 1999?

Ilia, I think you are being too kind! Or perhaps it's a typo and you meant 1899? Even that may be too kind! Stone ages? Mesozoic times? Amebas may show more of a flair for graphic design and website development than the ITTF. However, the ITTF may be better at web-design than they have been about rule changes that have helped the game move forward and into the eye of the media.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel