Why does ML use soft 37d rubber on bh?

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
So what is the purpose of making very thick glue layers?
It depends on the glue, but more glue gets you a softer springier feeling and more support the harder you hit. Almost like adding another sponge on the backside of your rubber. I've been experimenting with DHS #15 and if I just do one thin layer on blade and rubber the feeling is crisper and more transparent, but if I do 1-2 on blade and 3-5 on rubber the feeling is pretty noticeable to me. Historically I've been using tearmender because its cheap but it does not provide the effect that the #15 has produced for me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Agree. When you talk about sponge hardness for Chinese rubber you should throw everything out of the window. I am pretty sure Yinhe has a different scale than DHS which has a different scale than Friendship.

I think people harp onto the sponge softness or hardness too much. I agree that your feel of the blade is dependent on the blade, the sponge and the topsheet. As I am experimenting different blades I can clearly see how much contribution to the feel is coming from the blade you choose. I went from a hard ESN rubber G-1 on my BH on a 5-ply wood to a very soft ESN rubber Rakza 7 soft on my BH on a semi-fast carbon blade. The feeling is completely different.

And I am sure there is something about DHS' top sheet. It is special. I don't think any hybrid rubber or Big Dipper or Sanwei Target national has been able to replace that. So I am back to hurricane once again.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I don't understand. If the H3 37 is 37 degrees, by definition it is 2 degrees softer than H3 39. So it is soft relative to H3 39 and soft relative to D09c that his teammates are using.
Yeah. The top sheet is much less elastic on H3 than Dignics 09C, so you get a softer feeling from the D09C, even though the sponge is harder. And it's hard to compare these two sponges as well as they are totally different in pore structure as well, in my experience.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I don't understand. If the H3 37 is 37 degrees, by definition it is 2 degrees softer than H3 39. So it is soft relative to H3 39 and soft relative to D09c that his teammates are using.

It’s a difficult sponge. Despite being 37, it FEELS harder and has more crisp. My local seller says the national team players tested both provisional 37 and provisional 37 soft. They feel completely different

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Agree. When you talk about sponge hardness for Chinese rubber you should throw everything out of the window. I am pretty sure Yinhe has a different scale than DHS which has a different scale than Friendship.

I think people harp onto the sponge softness or hardness too much. I agree that your feel of the blade is dependent on the blade, the sponge and the topsheet. As I am experimenting different blades I can clearly see how much contribution to the feel is coming from the blade you choose. I went from a hard ESN rubber G-1 on my BH on a 5-ply wood to a very soft ESN rubber Rakza 7 soft on my BH on a semi-fast carbon blade. The feeling is completely different.

And I am sure there is something about DHS' top sheet. It is special. I don't think any hybrid rubber or Big Dipper or Sanwei Target national has been able to replace that. So I am back to hurricane once again.
Yep, hurricane and Rxton 5 are the bread&butter for me, everything else is just because i like to still experiment a bit or because one of you buggers here on the forum is talking me into it ...... 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: blahness and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Yep, hurricane and Rxton 5 are the bread&butter for me, everything else is just because i like to still experiment a bit or because one of you buggers here on the forum is talking me into it ...... 🤣🤣🤣
Lol, we have transmitted the EJ virus successfully....via internet....through TTD forum :) :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
I don't think I've ever seen ML play a purposely slow topspin from his BH. It just looks fast and furious to me. WCQ also uses H3 37 on his BH, and he is very aggressive. LJK too.

Does boosting make the sponge thicker? I can't imagine a 2.2mm rubber exceeding 4mm just from extra booster
2.2mm is a thickness of the sponge and 4mm limit is sponge+topsheet combined. And yes booster makes the sponge thicker.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
The hardness doesnt give much information about the feel and possibilities of its rubber. I played with both rubbers and D09c doesnt feel that hard at all.
Even boosted H3 37 felt harder and less bouncy.

And then there is the usage. Playing chop blocks, pushes and full swing attacks like WCQ or LJK are very hard or impossible with the d09c. But it plays better with flicks and hard, short movement and flatter shots. You can easily compare ljk and FZD and see incredible differences in their bh techniques. If they would swap rackets they would need to adjust. Or simply watch ljk before he switched to W968+h3.
Sorry for the old bump here, but.. Push, chop block and full swing attacks impossible with 09c? Of all dignics rubbers i would think 09c is the best on pushes (thanks to little stickiness,helps with control) and definitely best on full swing attacks - rubber is great at top end thanks to its huge spin capabilities when you go through the sponge (which you do on full swing attacks). For chop block i would also think it's better. You then go on to say it plays better on short movement and flatter shots? No way, those are the weak points.