Why is Stratus Powerwood wider at the bottom?

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
I'm a fan of an all-wood blade. I'm considering buying Tibhar Stratus Powerwood, but I'm curious as to why it was designed in such a way. Why is the blade wider at the bottom?

The breadth of the wood and rubbers are more than standard blades. What is the purpose of the additional space? Doesn't it increases the overall weight unnecessarily?

stratus_powerwood1.png

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Yes it seems to be wider blade than most. I am speaking from first hand experience as I had use this product before.

I speculate it could perhaps to increase the area of the sweet-spot.

In my opinion, this blade is a looper's delight. It was not too fast, more geared towards controlled looping as oppose to all out power.

p/s My rubbers on TSPW are both Donic Baracuda and it was a very playable set-up during my early days. Good control definitely.

Reactions: Kopp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe also to get it more head heavy?

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Special TIBHAR shape, kind of like their IV series. I think it makes the blade a bit stiffer and makes your grip a bit more locked-in

says Aging is a killer
Special TIBHAR shape, kind of like their IV series. I think it makes the blade a bit stiffer and makes your grip a bit more locked-in

I tend to agree with you. It allows all of the index finger to rest on the blade, hence added stifness on FH strokes [hypothetically 😊]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
This shape definitely makes the blade stiffer and steadier and by memory this one isn't even close to the width of my Nimatsu Maestro OFF and maybe some Joola blades(don't remember the model) which looked identical to my Nimatsu

This user has no status.
It also gives you more real estate on your blade during a pendulum serve.

Some people make contact with the ball at the tip of their blade during serve, and rely on fast head speed to generate a lot of spin.

Others with high-spin rubbers don't need high speed, but instead rely on long dwell-time with the ball.

They make contact closer to the handle and then 'roll the ball along the blade' during serve, relying on the blade angle and forward arm movement to create spin and direct the serve respectively. Having a wider bottom third facilitates this serving style.

Creating balance more towards the blade's handle is the main point (especially if the playing surface is longer than it is wide), but serving is also one of your main reasons.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I remember using this blade for a while and it bothered me enough that I sanded/shaved it down to the same shape as the Xiom Offensive S. Liked it a lot more after that.