Wood aging process

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Really? I thaught you could not get a thinner layer than with a spraycan?
I usually spray at a 30-40 cm distance in long sweeping bursts.. Im about to do this to my main gun and an old Stiga Europa. Hope I don't ruin the blades.

Have you done it with a spray can before?

There is no way a spray can will be able to get as thin and even a coat as I get with the cloth and the Wipe On Poly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews
I think wood aging may be a good process for all-wood blades, but not sure about the composite ones. My coach told me that after ~5 years of play, the carbon layers start to crumble and the blade begins to slowly lose its control.

Tell that to the dozens of members who'd pony up a few hundred quid for a old, black tag Viscaria :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 9 reviews
Many companies have blades with heat treated woods, sometimes called burned.

The Stiga claims that the wood in the Rosewood XO is aged.

So there are some companies who play around with that. Some blades do play better as they age.

How does the Rosewood XO play? And what is the difference from the other Rosewoods?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
From my trying both, I feel like then XO is faster, has more control, gets better spin, has better dwell time and feeling. Also it is lighter. But I am not sure that the thickness of the inner plies is the same or different from the regular Rosewood V. And I have heard other people say they like the regular RW V better. But to me the XO is a little better in a lot of ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
First coat of airosol spray..
Feels like the ticket!

5bd28e34dbea62e00f2f3e441e3a809c.jpg

2e14d9dc832bdef17d964b9ad2256ed9.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I could be wrong but if it is vacuum packed then air cannot get in or out and neither can moisture which would mean it also can't get out of the blade.

Interesting methods for storing blades.

Sent from myPhone using Tapatalk

Ok carl, *wise-guy-mode-on* ;-)
Vacuum is meant as a baking method.

In a vacuum room you can "bake" blades at lower temperatures than in a non-vacuum room, which tends to be more gentle to the wood and hence better for the wood.

It's pretty similar to cooking water in a vacuum room, which can be done at room temperatures. *wise-guy-mode-standby*

;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ok carl, *wise-guy-mode-on* ;-)
Vacuum is meant as a baking method.

In a vacuum room you can "bake" blades at lower temperatures than in a non-vacuum room, which tends to be more gentle to the wood and hence better for the wood.

It's pretty similar to cooking water in a vacuum room, which can be done at room temperatures. *wise-guy-mode-standby*

;-)

Now I get to laugh at myself and make fun of myself.

I am going to blame the cell phone thing. But I clearly did not read well or pay attention. Somehow my brain registered vacuum packaging and not vacuum baking EVEN WHEN fais said:

Well, its baking, not packing... and the purpose of baking is to dehydrate?

So sorry fais: this old man's brain wasn't working properly.

Thanks Suga D for straightening me out. I wish I could say I was being funny. But my brain obviously wasn't functioning properly. Hahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Anytime, my man. This could have also happened to me as well. So, it's nice, i could be helpful. And i know I can always expect the same from you, when i need correction. ;-)

So much valuable information coming from you guys and from this forum.
Luv to be here.
And...
I really gotta tryout your blade sealing technique... Sounds sensemaking to me.

Last edited: