World Cup 2024

This user has no status.
Not forgetting LGY was somehow able to stay at the table while FZD was being pushed back. If he switch “poorly” or weakly, he would probably be counterloop to his backhand and would not be able to recovery. Also a lefty backhand would spin such that a righty forehand return would likely go to the middle Or the lefty backhand side
But with a 8-1 lead, even with a 40% accuracy FH loopkill down the line he would have won...

Reactions: kindof99
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I made my point that opinion is not fact. If we can't even agree on the dictionary definitions of what facts are, then there is no need to discuss. I mean you have a right to your opinions but not a right to your facts. And there are no facts that show that Hayata has less potential than Hirano or has played better than Hirano over the last 4 years. That is completely your opinion and if you want to make it a fact because you are zeio (or as Google translate calls it, 'god'), that is your prerogative. But stop calling them facts based on the common use of the word in the English language.

My counter is that beating China is not the only thing that matters and that in addition to having better results, titles accolades etc over the last 4 years, Hayata has just played better. When Miu Hirano beats Sun Yingsha in a match at the Olympics or beats a CNT player to win a world championship medal, we can revisit. She did it so long ago that most of thr players she did it against are retired and the one that didn't, she couldn't beat her just yesterday. That shows growth right?

Hayata, by playing better and playing more CNT opponents, gets punished for having a worse record. But she has had the best results of her team members and her results are part of the reason that her teammates are inspired to beat China. When Hirano stays in the top 10 and consistently challenges for tour titles again and wins over everyone else and China wr can discuss. Shin Yubin has a better record vs Hirano than vs Hayata. So who is overrated again?

We can agree that this is a mutual waste of time - someone choosing their own facts and saying that other facts are not relevant.
That again after XTWC 2023 over at MyTT. With little knowledge of Chinese you assumed it to be Chinese and treat the response of Google Translate as fact and use that to lecture me here. Nice. My handle comes from a rare item in a popular RPG. It's Japanese, for crying out loud.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240128175830/http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://mytabletennis.net/forum/wttc-finals-2022-chengdu-9-3010-9_topic92179_page23.html (10/07/2022 at 8:11am)
https://web.archive.org/web/20240128184308/http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://mytabletennis.net/forum/wttc-finals-2022-chengdu-9-3010-9_topic92179_page31.html (10/11/2022 at 9:16am)

On Hayata, I will quote my own post from 10/2023 over at MyTT (during WTT CS Frankfurt 2023). Other than Ito, who of the 5 JNT members hasn't beaten WYD in this cycle now? FYI, GS is ranked above WTTC by the ITTF. By that definition, Hirano is not necessarily below Hayata when it comes to beating WYD. Hirano and Hayata have beaten 2 current core CNT members for a total of 3 times in this cycle. Beating CM after so long and now you're telling me Hayata has played better? Hirano remains the only JNT member to have beaten SYS at WTT CT Zagreb 2023 (where Hayata 0-3 SYS in SF), since Ito last doing so at Swedish Open 2019, and now we're comparing the level of competition? BTW, Hirano got through 3 CNT players again after ATTC 2017, another feat that Hayata has yet to equal.

On China not the only thing that matters, once again, it's them the players that keep saying they want to beat China at every chance they get. So stop wasting my time with your opinions that are not in line with the facts.

https://web.archive.org/web/2024012...1034518577&w=0xOS76YXK3WOQBBoLUjMc25fvlCJArrk (10/29/2023 at 8:07am)
If only Hirano didn't play so well against China, who broke SYS's 3-year-and-9-month winning streak against overseas players, a feat that Hayata should've equaled by now.

As with Ito, coming close doesn't cut it anymore. At this point, Hirano, Ito, Kihara and Harimoto have all come close. Hirano is the first one to have defeated core CNT players in this cycle. She has also come close against CM twice and had the lead both times, and in major competitions (WTTC 2021 and Asian Games 2022). She is also the only one to have beaten CM once. Once again, Hayata should've equaled that by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKiBnjYoyuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4akniENo610

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Sweet, another fun day ahead, got my fingers crossed for the Harimotos! Would be lovely to see both in finals. Perhaps unrealistic, but I ain't gonna let reality stop me having a good time! 😅
I'm backing them too.
always happy when underdogs win, but chances of all Chinese final is very high.
Out of the two, LGY is maybe the weaker link.

This user has no status.
I'm backing them too.
always happy when underdogs win, but chances of all Chinese final is very high.
Out of the two, LGY is maybe the weaker link.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if it were any other way, I just hope it's not an easy semis if it is the case. Still, world cup semi-finals at fifteen, super cool; I can't even remember what I did at that age!

This user has no status.
Miwa might still win this - she is looking quite good. Such high quality spin and I like her new high toss FH pendulum serve! The short push is also looking really good in terms of technique. A lot of improvement indeed in such a short period, wow...

Edit: she indeed won 1 game. 3 more to go. I think she looks like she's winning this!

Edit: 1 to 3 down, Wang Manyu adjusted brilliantly by really varying up the spin in the serve. Miwa doesn't seem to be confident enough to be so aggressive on the chiquita receive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cordell and shmek
This user has no status.
Miwa might still win this - she is looking quite good. Such high quality spin and I like her new high toss FH pendulum serve! The short push is also looking really good in terms of technique. A lot of improvement indeed in such a short period, wow...

Edit: she indeed won 1 game. 3 more to go. I think she looks like she's winning this!
That was a really good game from Miwa, but the next one looked not much better than the first two, unfortunately! Well, it's not over until it's over!

This user has no status.
That was a really good game from Miwa, but the next one looked not much better than the first two, unfortunately! Well, it's not over until it's over!
sometimes she doesn't adjust to spin variations very well, but when she plays her game it's almost a bit OP in the women's game because of how high quality her spin and power is.

Reactions: Cordell
This user has no status.
WMY is better with slow control game, loses in fast rallies against Miwa. No cnt players except maybe sys has real edge over Miwa right now.
The down-the-line BH technique is too OP in the women's game. It's as if Tomokazu Harimoto went to play in the women's league.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
insane point by Wang Manyu at 8-9 in the sixth and then a few really good hook serves to seal the match which completely fooled Miwa. Miwa really needs to improve her serve reading skills to match her other skills. It's a lot of all these subtle changes in spin which she is not completely reading, including SYS's BH (which can be very spinny to not a lot of spin at all). If she can't read the spin, she can't impose her game.

This user has no status.
Miwa should play simple, serve a bit longer and play rally games against WMY
WMY's opening loops has too much spin quality in them - this is WMY's game and she will overwhelm Miwa's defences if allowed to do so. WMY has a weakness against fast balls to her middle-FH where due to her very wide stance she can't get her body out of the way fast enough for a strong pivot FH unlike Miwa or SYS who have more compact stances.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Honestly ridiculous that ML got called out for his reverse pendulum serve when it's so visible to the opponent whereas WCQ's shovel remains unscathed. I mean ML even had to go to the far end of his side of the table just so that he could see the point of contact.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Miwa is a top five already, isn't she really?
Not yet.

she needs a couple of 400+ points tournaments, and she can be a solid 2000 pointer player, putting her at WR6~8
she just needs to put those skills into more wins at correct tournaments (ie world teams champ performance was useless with 122 points after reaching the final, while SF in contender is worth more)

With her being young, hopefully she can get into top 8 before Paris
She could touch Top 5 this year if she gets into finals of contenders/star contenders or far into champions/smash more regularly. That would require beating top 5 and 10 players more regularly too, and that how one can say she is a top 5. Winning these top players at critical time.
I'm not sure what the ranking points allocation for this tournament is, if any.

1713611924944.png

Reactions: shmek and kindof99