World Cup 2024

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
ITTFWORLDCUPMACAO2024WSSF20240420S.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So happy to see LGY reaching final. Hope he can go all the way. He was a beast today.
This is probably the last chance for LGY to get a single world title. But ML seemed to find a good way to play against left handed player and was as strong. If LGY can use those wide forehand more than ML returning those wide forehand, he will probably win. ALso LGY seems to be mentally tougher now.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Ma Long won because he won the tight first two games....

In his matchups with WCQ in the past, Once WCQ wins the tight first game or two, the rest is easier.

It just played out in ML's favor today, plus his stylistic choices were a surprise.

The idea that WCQ is weak in rallies is laughable, watch his matches in the 4-0 wins against Ma Long last year, the bagels against Fan and Lin recently. They all return his serves decently at worst and skillfully at best, but you'll see him utterly dominating them in rallies. No top Chinese player is "weak" in rallies.

Today was just Ma Long's day. What's WCQ Vs ML head to head again?? So suddenly he loses today and he's weak in rallies?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Honestly ridiculous that ML got called out for his reverse pendulum serve when it's so visible to the opponent whereas WCQ's shovel remains unscathed. I mean ML even had to go to the far end of his side of the table just so that he could see the point of contact.
That was indeed a ridiculous call. The reason by the umpire was not enough high toss, but I went back and saw that the height was definitely high enough. And ML was serving with his back again that umpire. The umpire just could not see the toss well at all. ML lost one or two points after that call.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Ma Long won because he won the tight first two games....

In his matchups with WCQ in the past, Once WCQ wins the tight first game or two, the rest is easier.

It just played out in ML's favor today, plus his stylistic choices were a surprise.

The idea that WCQ is weak in rallies is laughable, watch his matches in the 4-0 wins against Ma Long last year, the bagels against Fan and Lin recently. They all return his serves decently at worst and skillfully at best, but you'll see him utterly dominating them in rallies. No top Chinese player is "weak" in rallies.

Today was just Ma Long's day. What's WCQ Vs ML head to head again?? So suddenly he loses today and he's weak in rallies?
Seriously, just played out in ML's favor today? I can see how much effort ML has made to win this match. And from the past, WCQ could not even beat Harimoto in rallies. WCQ's weapon is his serve and backhand flip, not rally. And ML prepared very well against those two today.

Last edited:
Reactions: blahness
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
LGY actually said he wanted to win a world title in individual event before retiring (yes, he is looking at life after his career) in an interview late last year. He was born 1995-2/3/19, so he is 31 already.

• Wow
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Seriously, just played out in ML's favor today? I can see how much effort ML has made to win this match. And from the past, WCQ could not even beat Harimoto in rallies. WCQ's weapon is his serve and backhand flip, not rally. And ML prepared very well against those two today.
WCQ cannot beat Harimoto in rallies, so all 9 of his wins were due to serve and receive?? Lmao
I think y'all are tired, and you need to watch these matches again. Just because Harimoto won 4 out of the 7 long rallies in their last matchup ( 3 of them due to intervention of the net) doesn't mean he's a better rally player. By what metric exactly do you determine who's a better rally player??

says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I was really excited to see Ma Long defeat WCQ for the first time!
In my opinion, the reason for this victory is that he dominated him with numerous BH flicks to WCQ's wide FH, that were impossible for WCQ to reach. I wish he had employed this strategy to all their previous encounters...

My prediction is that Ma Long will defeat LGY tomorrow, as he knows his playing style, is mentally boosted and is really good in shutting down his opponent's game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
The superior "rallier" Harimoto got beaten black and blue today, averaging a miserable 5.5 points per game against LGY. Where was his rally skills when he needed it??

This user has no status.
That was indeed a ridiculous call. The reason by the umpire was not enough high toss, but I went back and saw that the height was definitely high enough. And ML was serving with his back again that umpire. The umpire just could not see the toss well at all. ML lost one or two points after that call.
I believe it was a righteous call. The empire is at the middle of the table so he could see the serve and Ma Long rather lifted the ball instead of tossing it. His serve didn’t really change afterwards so there was indeed no point calling it out. WCQ’s hook serves could have been called out but seeing whether he hides the ball for the umpires is harder than seeing the height of the toss.

Jan 2018

Not weak per se, but rather not as strong as it appears.

Togami and Tanaka have mentioned how it was easier than they thought to hold rallies with WCQ in interviews after WTTC 2021 and ATTC 2023, respectively.

WCT has also talked about how he was overwhelmed by WCQ in 3rd ball and speed in the first 2 games before finding his way around them after Asian Games 2022. Tieba users even teased WCQ for having trouble to keep up with WCT in rallies.

As I pointed out last week, he becomes more vulnerable if you manage to find a way around his serve. AJH did just that in the group match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mUbHX6FGgs

Last edited: