Worldwide ban of celluloid "Proof"

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
A reply from the ITTF President from a Table Tennis fan.

Question

On 4/12/2011, at 2:13 PM, Lorenzo Goossens wrote:

Dear Mr. Sharara,

Recently you've received an e-mail from Tassie52 of the OOAK forum concerning a couple of issues about the old celluloid and the new poly ball (i.e. the new plastic ball). You've given him some clear answer about those issues, but it is stated for quite a while now at the forum that there is no evidence about a coming "worldwide ban of celluloid". Concerning this coming "worldwide ban of celluloid" I have four questions for you:

(1) Is the introduction of the new poly ball solely based on the coming "worldwide ban of celluloid"?
(2) If not, what are the other reasons why the ITTF has chosen to proceed with a non-celluloid ball?
(3) Can you give, to tackle the discussion about the truth value about the coming "worldwide ban of celluloid" once and for all, prove about this coming "worldwide ban of celluloid" (e.g. web links, scientific articles, written document,...)? Please add them to your reply.
(4) If I'm correctly informed, you were a defender in your younger days. What do you think will be the effect of the new ball on playing styles like modern defense (e.g. executed by Joo Se Hyuk)? I know this is a subjective question, but I'm quite curious how you see this as a (former) defender.

Looking forward to your informative responses.
Thanks in advance.

Yours Sincerely,

Lorenzo Goossens
asa Lorre (OOAK forum)
Belgium

This message is posted on behalf of Mr. Adham Sharara.

Hi Lorenzo,

There is no upcoming world-wide ban of celluloid, this was a simplification of the current status and the status on the use of celluloid for many years past. Their is also no health issue with the finished product. The issue is in the manufacturing of the celluloid sheets that are used to make the ping pong balls. These sheets are produced from raw celluloid, which is a highly fibrous and flammable material. It is banned on commercial flights for many years now, this is nothing new. The use of the celluloid in producing products (ping pong balls, motion picture film, etc.) has become virtually extinct due to the very high health hazard to the workers using these materials. It is the same case for Asbestos. These are materials with very thin and minute fibres that are inhaled and stick to the lungs causing, as you can imagine, lung disease. In some western countries there is an outright ban on the use of asbestos or celluloid at the raw material level for many years now. There is no ban for the use of the finished product. This is quite hypocritical if you ask me "We do not want to hurt our people, but let others get hurt". The so-called "others" are waking up and realizing that such materials are harmful for their workers and have started to impose restrictions in production in form of a gradual decrease in the production for a steady reduction and eventual stoppage of production all together. Other governments have imposed very strict regulations for the factories that have celluloid production at the raw level. Some of these restrictions are very expensive, so manufacturers find it cheaper, and healthier, to change the material and use composites or plastics that are less hazardous or hopefully safe to use by the workers. The film industry as you probably know is going digital more and more every day.

adham_sharara_02_09_08_Large.jpg

Photo by: ITTF

For table tennis balls (ping pong) balls, the manufacturers have become almost extinct. There are basically 2 in China that produce good quality ping pong balls, 1 in Japan, and 1 in Korea. There was also one in Eastern Europe but it closed several years ago. I personally started to warn manufacturers more than 6 years ago, that the use of raw celluloid will be more and more regulated, as this was the trend in all other countries. This was taken seriously by Japan, and their solution was to buy balls made in China, same as the European companies have been doing for more than 20 years since the production of raw celluloid in their own countries was no longer viable. As you know, China was admitted to the WTO a couple of years ago and hence must abide by the WTO's standards and regulations. The celluloid production factories have been given a period of time to reduce their production, and the manufacturers that rely on the finished celluloid product are of course very concerned that they will no longer be able to produce their products in a few years time. This is when the two largest ping pong ball factories in the world (in China) woke up and started looking at other technologies to produce ping pong balls with other non-hazardous materials. The result is what we refer to today as the POLY balls.

Since a completely new technology was being invented for the new balls, I asked the manufacturers to seize this opportunity and produce better quality balls: seamless, round, even hardness, etc. This is hopefully what will happen. We will transform what could have been a crisis of having a shortage of ping pong balls, hence rendering them very expensive and probably extinct, to a positive result of better quality balls for all to enjoy. A by-product of this change is that POLY balls could be produced everywhere and not just in Chia. This may help make them more competitive and affect the price positively (cheaper) after a while.

I would like to stress that plastic balls have been in our regulations for more than 50 years, indeed Dunlop and Halex in England used to produce plastic balls, with an old technology, when they stopped producing raw celluloid in the UK at that time. So, as far as regulations are concerned there is no change, POLY balls are legal and always were. What would need a regulation change in a couple of years is the removal of the legality of using celluloid balls at ITTF events. However, we must give enough time to the manufacturers and resellers to deplete their stocks.

To answer your questions below, for (1), (2) and (3), perhaps I was misunderstood. The ban on celluloid production (also Asbestos) varies from country to country and started more than 30 years ago in some countries. The only countries left to produce raw celluloid used for the manufacturing of ping pong balls can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Already Japan is on a declining quota, and as of last year China is also on a declining quota. I am not sure about Korea. So, if we wait until these countries also stop the production of raw celluloid, then we would be in trouble. This is why we are pro-active and have pushed for a solution which remains within our rules and that was available to us all along. There are no other reasons for changing to POLY balls.

Regarding your question (4), yes, I am extremely concerned with the direction our sport has taken that has made the defensive player almost extinct. I really admire someone like Joo Se Hyuk who has persevered in the onslaught of attacking players. Players are asking for spinier and faster equipment all the time. This is always to the disadvantage of the defensive player. Faster blades, faster and thicker sponge, tackier rubber, etc., is all very bad for the defensive player. But that is the natural trend that the sport has taken. This is true in most sports.

I am not sure how the new ball will affect modern defensive players. Personally I thought that the increase from 38mm to 40 mm would help the defensive player, and it should. But most coaches and most defensive players were not able to figure out how to change and modify their techniques to take advantage of the new larger ball. They played the same way and found it more difficult to vary the spin and more difficult to attack from far. It took them a long time to adjust. This is why I admire Joo Se Hyuk, he is a classic defender (not how I imagined the evolution of a defender) and yet he remains in the top 10 in the World. Really amazing.

Regarding the new ball, the reports we have from the players that tried them is that it is more bouncy and less spiny. What does this mean for the defensive player? I don't know. Hopefully good news.

Please feel free to post this response to the Forum.

Lorenzo, I answered this e-mail exceptionally because of your genuine concern, however, you must understand that I receive more than 300 e-mails daily on my ITTF e-mail account and would find it difficult to engage in an exchange of e-mails. This is why I recommend that you post this response for others to see.

Thank you for understanding.

Adham Sharara
ITTF

This article can be found by MyTT admin Alex HERE

What do you all think of the ITTF presidents response?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Thanx Dan, this is indeed a great find. The response I think was frank and honest. However it doesn't put my mind to rest with this evolution of the TT balls. When I was a kid, I used to make stink bomb with pieces of TT balls..it produced immense amount of smoke, and they really stunk.

Adham was concern of the health reason and he has every right to be. But I feel with the current technology that we have, I am pretty sure there should be a much better option to create new TT balls. He mentioned, "Regarding the new ball, the reports we have from the players that tried them is that it is more bouncy and less spiny. What does this mean for the defensive player? I don't know. Hopefully good news." I shuddered the moment he said more bouncy & less spiny. With the resources, I am quite sure we should be able to find a composite that is safe and close to the playing characteristics of the current TT balls. Besides, higher bounce would not help defenders.

I respect the effort Adham is putting in, but I just think more research should be done before putting the final stamp on this matter. All I am saying is, change the material, but not the playing characteristics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It is great that he took the time to reply to this. But like Azlan said, I'm not keen on the 'more bouncy, less spiny' part. However there is still a lot of time to change the characteristics of the ball I think. At this point they probably had enough trouble figuring out how to produce seamless, 40mm balls. Hopefully they can change the characteristics, maybe by slightly changing materials used or whatever. Spin is the most interesting part of table tennis, that should not go to waste.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
That's odd that he would have found the 40 mm ball easier for defender to take advantage of. I would have thought the opposite and seeing today's current list of top defenders I'd venture to say I was correct. The less spin in a ball the less deception for the defender to take advantage of. The more speed on the ball with less spin increases the attackers chance of winning not the defenders as Long Pips cannot put any extra spin on the ball from far away. This new poly ball in my opinion is going to be better for the attackers and really terrible for long pip and anti users.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
LESS SPIN????

Its getting more and more of a smashers game, more slapping, more direct hits. Starting to feel like tennis :p

This is totally ruining the game for the scandinavian, and other european players, since they have always been relaying on heavy spin in their shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hehe do you guys know that the sender is a TTD member too?
The username is Lorre.
He joined when I told OOAKForum about the pips in vs out discussion ;)

Yep seen this, Sir Lorre in another forum also make a good analysis about the email which is awesome.

Yea I remember him from the pips discussion haha. But he hasn't posted since then I believe has he?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Yea I remember him from the pips discussion haha. But he hasn't posted since then I believe has he?

Yes he visits this forum not so often I think.

Oh anyway Sir Lorre also sent a second message and the reply from Sharara was funny. There is something about belgian waffle in it :p

Mar 2011
Straighter trajectory and less spin would be the death to players like me since I like to stand back and spin curve the balls. But I guess the manufacturers will start producing new rubbers to overcome that, but like Bryce said, more money have to be spent on new rubbers in order to compete.

Btw Yosua, do you think you can a link for the reply from Adham?

Last edited:
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Straighter trajectory and less spin would be the death to players like me since I like to stand back and spin curve the balls. But I guess the manufacturers will start producing new rubbers to overcome that, but like Bryce said, more money have to be spent on new rubbers in order to compete.

You're right Azlan. This will totally benefit the chinese and other drive/smash players. Now the producers of table tennis equipment has to make all the rubber softer, more spinnier so that one can "grip" the ball with more ease. Maybe the ITTF has to make it legal again to use thicker rubbers, so that the ball will dig into the rubber and make use of the mechanical spin more than now.

I am sure that now, the long trajectory blades from STIGA will come to its right. The blades will be stiffer, faster. And rubbers will be somewhat softer, thicker sponge and more spin. If not, most European/Swedish-inspired players can say "bye" to top 10 placements in the world rankings.

The celluloid ban is going to affect the sport a lot, if the needed changes are not done. I'll just cross my fingers, and hope that the ITTF and the TT-companies knows what they're doing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I dont think you can say that a playing style is going to die if none of you have even played with the ball yet and you don't know how much less spinier the new ball is. It is only said that it is less spinny, whether it is 5 or 20 per cent we don't know. And the ones that have tested the new ball are top pro players who probably would notice even the slightest loss of spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews

Btw Yosua, do you think you can a link for the reply from Adham?

Sir Yessire!
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=198001 and scroll down to the middle :)