Wrist lock-up syndrome

says The best time to learn table tennis was 10 years ago ...
says The best time to learn table tennis was 10 years ago ...
Oct 2023
At times, I've felt like my wrist has locked up during match days / big tournaments. This is felt when am warming up on my forehand drives and am unable to direct the ball properly. The sensation kicks in when I warming up before a match and gradually subsides when am in the middle on the match.

I know there's nothing physically wrong with my wrists, so it must be a mental phenomena - perhaps coming from pre-game anxiety?

Has anyone else felt this and if yes, how to do you normally deal with it?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
At times, I've felt like my wrist has locked up during match days / big tournaments. This is felt when am warming up on my forehand drives and am unable to direct the ball properly. The sensation kicks in when I warming up before a match and gradually subsides when am in the middle on the match.

I know there's nothing physically wrong with my wrists, so it must be a mental phenomena - perhaps coming from pre-game anxiety?

Has anyone else felt this and if yes, how to do you normally deal with it?
it is never my wrist that freezes it is my brain and it stays that way during the matches too. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sincerarity
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I have a similar thing on my BH at times, where the wrist just tightens up and I can’t direct the ball with consistency while warm up/driving. It is often with my coach when I know he‘s looking for development or improvement.

We usually change to something else then come back to it and it’s better - it’s definitely a mental/anxiety thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
One term used in golf is YIPS, involuntary wrist spasms. Can be 'mental' but can unfortunately also really be neurological issue affecting the muscles, focal dystonia. If it appears to be just temporary, like only during warmup, then it is just 'mental', I can suggest focusing to form your FH grip correctly and stance. Sometimes your grip might have changed, unconsciously, and your wrist tries to overcompensate. So focus on correct, proper grip, correct stance and use the rotation of upper body more on that FH.