This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Most of the top 5 in Chinese women’s team have been eliminated:
Chen Meng
Wang Yidi
Chen Xingtong

It’s unpredictable and entertaining
If Wang Yidi was coached by Ma Lin, then I guess he definitely won't stay that long as the women's team head coach...

Correction: it was ACTUALLY MA Lin

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Wow Aruna playing like peak Ryu Seung Min now (y) come on!
I have watched Alexis Lebrun vs Aruna @ WS R32, I noticed this trend. I was not sure and perhaps I think it is a fluke. Now I will share my observation, empirically of course:

1. Youngster play-style always go for speed & power ( modern TT strategy ). There is a more emphasis on power and speed over spin. They rely a lot on borrowed power.
2. Aruna always slow down the game with slow spinny shot.
3. This messes up these youngster's rhythm and timing causing a lot of unforced errors.
4. When player like Aruna go for slower stroke, there is less opportunity to borrow power for youngster to play with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I have watched Alexis Lebrun vs Aruna @ WS R32, I noticed this trend. I was not sure and perhaps I think it is a fluke. Now I will share my observation, empirically of course:

1. Youngster play-style always go for speed & power ( modern TT strategy ). There is a more emphasis on power and speed over spin. They rely a lot on borrowed power.
3. This messes up these youngster's rhythm and timing causing a lot of unforced errors.
4. When player like Aruna go for slower stroke, there is less opportunity to borrow power for youngster to play with.

It's not like Harimoto hasn't played Aruna before and this is an unknown opponent to him. A bit disrespectful to call Aruna's performance a fluke. If what you're saying is true, and it was Aruna's strategy that paid off, then that makes it even less of a fluke. Maybe you mean a different word here?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

That's the same strategy ML used against LSD. A bunch of spinny shots to neutralize their speed close to the table, and when the youngsters back up older guys are more used to the far table counter loop game and won't lose either. The youngsters need to realize that they can't win consistently without a great game away from the table. When Harimoto beat FZD and WCQ in the WTTTC he played great from behind the table, and WCQ can beat ML because he can do the same consistently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
It would be very interesting to see a match between powerful players Aruna and Hugo Calderano, but apparently they are in different draws...
Pretty sure the WTT graphic I just saw showed Aruna and Calderano matched up for the quarterfinals.

It'll be FZD/Moregard, WCQ/LGY, Aruna/Calderano, and Ma/Qiu.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Kasumi is gonna retire soon...but she managed to survive Zeio
Join the cause.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I've always wondered, does Hugo hit harder on the FH or does Aruna hit harder? It'll be interesting to have some numbers from a Hawkeye system. I'm pretty sure these 2 guys are close to the top in terms of power levels.
Really looking forward to this matchup! I think Hugo will win because he has a better backhand.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Really looking forward to this matchup! I think Hugo will win because he has a better backhand.
I am fairly sure they played each other the last time they were in Singapore and Hugo won 3‐1. The main advantage Hugo has as you pointed out is the backhand, not just as a stroke but the variation it gives him on serve receive. Quadri becomes a bit predictable after a while as he doesnt topspin much on serve receive (he flicks occasionally and does have good sidespin and long pushes, but those can't slow down Hugo).