WTT Singapore Smash 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The level of play is actually not that high in terms of power and rallies, and that's somehow good news, not so much rallies actually between FZD and WCQ, FZD has outclassed him euro style: ball placement, variations, smart tactics. It was a joy to watch for that matter.

The Hugo case is just... disturbing: strong VS the weak, weak VS the strong, he doesn't have that strong will, that fighting spirit you can see with Timo Boll or Dima when it comes to fight against the top 3 CNT players. Timo and Dima would literraly die on the pitch, if I had to pick fighters for amateur rugby, I would choose Timo has a scrum-half and Dima has a 8. Hugo is like Chuang Chih-Yuan in the mid-late 2000's: consistent, winning back to backs contenders or Star contenders; but when it comes to win big, to face the very top guys of TT, he's simply not there, litteraly torn apart. Mentally weak player sadly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Does anyone know when the next world-class event will take place that doesn't involve showing the matches from this terrible side view angle?

Since the WTT took over, it's completely ruined the viewing experience. Why doesn't Dan from TTD and Adam Bobrow shoot their videos from the side? Answer: because it looks absolutely awful. Can't believe WTT are still getting away with it. Something needs to be done.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Does anyone know when the next world-class event will take place that doesn't involve showing the matches from this terrible side view angle?

Since the WTT took over, it's completely ruined the viewing experience. Why doesn't Dan from TTD and Adam Bobrow shoot their videos from the side? Answer: because it looks absolutely awful. Can't believe WTT are still getting away with it. Something needs to be done.
there are now 3 additional viewing options to choose and you can have all 4 running on 4 screens if you want to.
Personally I am just thankfull to be able to watch tournaments like these.........and it is free (y)🙏

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Ma Long is always ready^^

Ma Long became even more versatile and is way more capable of making FZD lose his drive. The last matches i watched them both, FZD could barely play like 50-70% of his abilities, because Ma Long just made it impossible for him to get into the zone. FZD made so many uncharacteristic errors in these matches, it was amazing to see how ML achieved that.
We will probably see if FZD will have an answer to that, this time.

Ma Long has become Ma Lin. Every point has been meticulously calculated and analysed. Ma Long is a magician.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
But he goes off balance in rallies and Fan is not missing.

We all know that Ma Long rents space in Fan's head, the same way Wang Hao rented space in Ma's head. The issue was hardly technical in any case, the Olympics final clearly showed this as did the decision of the CNT not to send Ma Long to the WTTC.

But Fan is clearly technically capable and Truls has prepared him a little bit. I will root for the underdog lol.

I will root for Fan too. It’s a mental battle he has to conquer.

Ma Long adapts and changes tactics like a magician. To beat the GOAT Fan has to adapt and change a step ahead of Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Ma Long's as well as FZD's backhand are out of this world.
I wonder if FZD did adjust his technique. It seems like he has a langer follow through... what do you guys think?
I've never been that much impressed that much but FZD's backhand is just next level this tournament.

FZD has gone through some adjustments in his play style. After switching to FZD ALC he has been using more FH and looping more from the mid distance.

But FZD was back to the old beast mode yesterday against WCQ. He hit the ball very early. WCQ literally froze a few times because it was just too fast.

I hope FZD continues this beast mode today in the final.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I wonder if there is a way to record tonight's session on WTT youtube.
Here it starts at midnight and half my brain has already gone to sleep.
Any tech-wiz kids here with some tricks ??

The live video will be available tomorrow when you wake up. Go to the WTT channel, select "Live" and you can find the live recordings in the past.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
The level of play is actually not that high in terms of power and rallies, and that's somehow good news, not so much rallies actually between FZD and WCQ, FZD has outclassed him euro style: ball placement, variations, smart tactics. It was a joy to watch for that matter.

The Hugo case is just... disturbing: strong VS the weak, weak VS the strong, he doesn't have that strong will, that fighting spirit you can see with Timo Boll or Dima when it comes to fight against the top 3 CNT players. Timo and Dima would literraly die on the pitch, if I had to pick fighters for amateur rugby, I would choose Timo has a scrum-half and Dima has a 8. Hugo is like Chuang Chih-Yuan in the mid-late 2000's: consistent, winning back to backs contenders or Star contenders; but when it comes to win big, to face the very top guys of TT, he's simply not there, litteraly torn apart. Mentally weak player sadly.
I don't think it's a sign of mental weakness, it's him trying out a lot of stuff that doesn't work against Ma Long for eg push-push and short game, even quick BH-BH blasting didn't work, and playing for speedy rallies trying to jam Ma Long also didn't work, neither did loopkilling balls from both wings. Hugo wouldn't have got 1 set and almost come back in the last set if he was mentally weak.

What really worked well at the end (alas it was too late because he was 1:3 down), is just brute force chiquitaing everything and then blasting the ball down the line to Ma Long's wide FH on the next ball.

I think Hugo would have learnt a few things from this match which would be valuable if he does play Ma Long in the future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I don't think it's a sign of mental weakness, it's him trying out a lot of stuff that doesn't work against Ma Long for eg push-push and short game, even quick BH-BH blasting didn't work, and playing for speedy rallies trying to jam Ma Long also didn't work, neither did loopkilling balls from both wings. Hugo wouldn't have got 1 set and almost come back in the last set if he was mentally weak.

What really worked well at the end (alas it was too late because he was 1:3 down), is just brute force chiquitaing everything and then blasting the ball down the line to Ma Long's wide FH on the next ball.

I think Hugo would have learnt a few things from this match which would be valuable if he does play Ma Long in the future.

There used to be a saying about Ma Lin.

Many people play Ma Lin and lost by making lots of mistakes. They couldn't figure it out until the last set.

Ma Long is always a step ahead of his opponent. By the time they figured out Ma Long's game, it's either too late or Ma Long has adjusted.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Tried that but still can't find your mentioned '3 additional viewing options'. What do I have to press? All I can find is the garbage side view from the main court.
You might be region locked out of those. If I watch Youtube from the USA VPN, you can see the multiple streams from WTT channel. However, if I'm watching from Vietnam internet, I'm region locked to watching some stream from some channel called SpotTVAsia.