Yeah! Baby yeah! Let's go retro. Retro is the new sexy!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
It's time to make retro sexy again. Retro is the new sexy. Yeah! Baby yeah!

Mark V GPS?

Sriver?

• Gozo BH suxs!
  • Gozo looking at ol'skool retro soft non-tensor rubber for BH use. Push & block with occasional drive topspin.
  • BH to support and create opportunity for the FH to grab the points.
  • ( 反 手 创 造 机 会。正 手 抢 分 )
IMG_8289.jpeg
IMG_8292.jpeg

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Gozo….. don’t be afraid of the dark side!

I think the old school route is one of non committal.

I was initially going to suggest something that allows you to be defensively aggressive on the backhand (aggressive pushes etc), but actually….. are you going to want that ball back?

Do you prefer a less spinny ball to attack?

If so, pips just might be the answer for you.

Something like Mark V is simply going to set your opponent up to come in and attack you. If you are just passive blocking, chipping your pushes and not digging them and generally trying to play safe, I’m not sure you are going to be able to work it easily to your forehand before they come and attack you.

If you’ve abandoned attacking on the backhand altogether, embrace the dark side and use short pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Hardbat is even more retro. I like playing hardbat when I can find an opponent.
Long rallies. Lots of exercise.
Lars and Tony is a cracking match and a great choice to show off the skill needed to play HB BB. Thanks for sharing. Good to see that again.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Gozo….. don’t be afraid of the dark side!

I think the old school route is one of non committal.

I was initially going to suggest something that allows you to be defensively aggressive on the backhand (aggressive pushes etc), but actually….. are you going to want that ball back?

Do you prefer a less spinny ball to attack?

If so, pips just might be the answer for you.

Something like Mark V is simply going to set your opponent up to come in and attack you. If you are just passive blocking, chipping your pushes and not digging them and generally trying to play safe, I’m not sure you are going to be able to work it easily to your forehand before they come and attack you.

If you’ve abandoned attacking on the backhand altogether, embrace the dark side and use short pips.
Curiouser curioser Mr White Rabbit.

What would you want to recommend to me initially my good Sir?

NDH

says Spin to win!

I was thinking something like Victas 401 or Dignics 09C (with a thinner sponge).

I play against some people who can absolutely rip it with backspin using Victas.

However, if you really dig it at someone and they simply push it back, you probably don't want all that spin coming back to you - It makes it much harder to launch the attack.

Using pips will give you more opportunities to come around and get your FH in play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I was thinking something like Victas 401 or Dignics 09C (with a thinner sponge).

I play against some people who can absolutely rip it with backspin using Victas.

However, if you really dig it at someone and they simply push it back, you probably don't want all that spin coming back to you - It makes it much harder to launch the attack.

Using pips will give you more opportunities to come around and get your FH in play.

What blade/types of blade are they using the 401 on @NDH ?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
A few weeks ago I bought a sheet of Tackiness Drive and Sriver and stuck them on my Tamca 5000 blade. This was the first ‘proper’ bat I had. I wanted to see how it played 40+ yrs later!!
Spin capability is perhaps 75% of todays modern rubbers, at least in my hands it is!! Not dead but nowhere as bouncy. Even with a fast blade like the Tamca, it’s not quick. The 40+ ball has made a big difference!!
Anyway, I have my ‘original’ set up and that’s how it’s gonna stay!!

This user has no status.
It's time to make retro sexy again. Retro is the new sexy. Yeah! Baby yeah!

Mark V GPS?

Sriver?

• Gozo BH suxs!
  • Gozo looking at ol'skool retro soft non-tensor rubber for BH use. Push & block with occasional drive topspin.
  • BH to support and create opportunity for the FH to grab the points.
  • ( 反 手 创 造 机 会。正 手 抢 分 )
View attachment 28831View attachment 28832
Lol why not just go all the way to anti or pips, it'll be even better!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

Der Materialspezialist Spinfire purple. Out of all the colors, purple is the fastest while pink is the spinnest.

1.8mm sponge. Fast enough.

2.1mm sponge if you want it faster.

I have only tried 1.8mm and 2.1mm sponge and I like 1.8mm better for two reasons: 1) 1.8mm gives the ball a bit of a sinking feeling (which is partly why you use short pips) while 2.1mm does not and 2) with 2.1mm I keep on pushing the ball out!

I tried a lot of short pips. Der Materialspezialist Spinfire is the best in terms of it is short pips but you can play it like inverted. It is a great rubber for you to transition to pips. Then eventually if you want your pips to wobble the ball, well, find another short pips because Spinfire really does not do that. Spinfire is just very direct.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I have made my bed and will now sleep on it.

I have just hit the BUY icon on Butterfly Flextra. Yup! The Nobbiest Noobest Noob rubber ever produced by Butterfly.

Will use it on my BH for a while and see how it goes.

Somehow I am not prepared yet for pips / anti. I am not an old-geezer yet. At least I will not admit it.

Gozo is still the perrenial Butterfly fan-boi.

Peace out and keep em pongin'

P/S: Flextra is the cheapest classic non-tensor / spring-sponge rubber in my market place. Mark V and Sriver are like USD 10.00 more expensive, so.... there is that economic factor to consider. I did not consider the Chinese side of things simply I am totally unfamiliar with tacky product, just like pips and antis. They are too alien for me.

PS/S: Meanwhile on the FH side: On my mark, Unleash H-E-L-L!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I have made my bed and will now sleep on it.

I have just hit the BUY icon on Butterfly Flextra. Yup! The Nobbiest Noobest Noob rubber ever produced by Butterfly.

Will use it on my BH for a while and see how it goes.

Somehow I am not prepared yet for pips / anti. I am not an old-geezer yet. At least I will not admit it.

Gozo is still the perrenial Butterfly fan-boi.

Peace out and keep em pongin'

P/S: Flextra is the cheapest classic non-tensor / spring-sponge rubber in my market place. Mark V and Sriver are like USD 10.00 more expensive, so.... there is that economic factor to consider. I did not consider the Chinese side of things simply I am totally unfamiliar with tacky product, just like pips and antis. They are too alien for me.

PS/S: Meanwhile on the FH side: On my mark, Unleash H-E-L-L!
Indian women team are all young and on the pips/anti diet lol, age doesn't matter at all!