Yu Ziyang what happened?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I realy would like to know as well. The ITTF ranking only went as far as 2015. I can't find newer information as 2015 on the internet.

What happened to him? Is he still playing somewhere? Maybe in chinese super league?

I realy would like to watch him play and see how much progress he made since 2014

Oh someone from switzerland :D Hey where are you from?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Does anybody know what happened to Yu Ziyang?He won world youth championship last year at age 16 in december 2014 and than disappeared.He was better than Liang JingKun.

How do you know he is "better" ? Anyway the chinese do this all the time (testing new players in pro tours and then disappearing), zhou kai kong lingxuan were also promising talents back in 2014. Maybe they are just developing for the future who knows. Maybe a chinese/english speaker can enlighten us

I still remember his bad sportmanship towards mizu in the japan final, cheating like that is simply outrageous and jun took it pretty well

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How do you know he is "better" ? Anyway the chinese do this all the time (testing new players in pro tours and then disappearing), zhou kai kong lingxuan were also promising talents back in 2014. Maybe they are just developing for the future who knows. Maybe a chinese/english speaker can enlighten us

I still remember his bad sportmanship towards mizu in the japan final, cheating like that is simply outrageous and jun took it pretty well

He was a world junior champion. Something else (maybe underperformance or just other issues) is going on.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
He was a world junior champion. Something else (maybe underperformance or just other issues) is going on.

Yes but this doesnt mean they will focus on him when they have all the other top players. In the long term he has much more to learn if he focus on training and playing in the super league than destroying a few euro players in pro tours. Then again FZD was exposed early probably because the CNT realized his potential

Personally I dont see anything special about him, especially when they have top players to worry about at the moment. Baum and mizu seemed to be the next contenders of the chinese when they played the 2005 junior champs final but their career didnt evolve at all as expected

Funny thing is I didnt found any match of his in the CTTSL after 2014, does anyone know if he at least participated at any of the chinese trials 2015/16?

Liu dingshuo and xue fei (2015 wjttc final) on the other hand are still present on the cnt . Who knows what happened, his disappear is definitely "weird"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes but this doesnt mean they will focus on him when they have all the other top players. In the long term he has much more to learn if he focus on training and playing in the super league than destroying a few euro players in pro tours. Then again FZD was exposed early probably because the CNT realized his potential

Personally I dont see anything special about him, especially when they have top players to worry about at the moment. Baum and mizu seemed to be the next contenders of the chinese when they played the 2005 junior champs final but their career didnt evolve at all as expected

Funny thing is I didnt found any match of his in the CTTSL after 2014, does anyone know if he at least participated at any of the chinese trials 2015/16?

Liu dingshuo and xue fei (2015 wjttc final) on the other hand are still present on the cnt . Who knows what happened, his disappear is definitely "weird"

Baum and Mizutani are still top players on their national squads with Baum having various degrees of psychological issues that have recently dropped his level.

Yu Ziyang won the Japan Open and whatever you think about his match vs Mizutani, he beat other good players to get into the final. He was a lefty with an amazing forehand flick.

You have pointed out that his disappearance is definitely "weird". That's the main point. His contemporaries are still playing super league or have declared retirement. So it would be nice to know what exactly is going on with him.

What is interesting is that I was trying to answer this same question earlier this week on my own. I came across a match that Steffen Mengel played against him in German Open 2014 or so (the same Open where Mengel beat Wang Hao, I believe). Liang Jingkun seems to have evolved to better standing than Yu Ziyang though no one is on FZD level.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
word is he saw nextlevel play and fell into a deep depression which he could not get out of.
they say his last words were "oh noo.... it's not possible to play that bad, it's not possible... oh my god...." and then he went running into the woods, never to be seen again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Good that I stopped playing for a couple of weeks ... did Liu Guoliang ask you to join the team for Rio, Kuka , may be you can sell some fake blades there ? :rolleyes:
word is he saw nextlevel play and fell into a deep depression which he could not get out of.
they say his last words were "oh noo.... it's not possible to play that bad, it's not possible... oh my god...." and then he went running into the woods, never to be seen again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

He just hasn't seen you play yet, kowabunga.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

That was a good try I have to admit, it made me laugh . But dude, you cant beat kowabonga . One word =thousand images :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
my skin may be white, but my soul is black...
I was there when the english landlords used to sell us and trade us for nothing.
I was there when there with martin luther king and malcolm x.
me when I go to heaven, I'll be in the same room as tupac and biggie, so don't come talk to me about how black I am or I am not!!!

Well said, kowabunga!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Does anybody know what happened to Yu Ziyang?He won world youth championship last year at age 16 in december 2014 and than disappeared.He was better than Liang JingKun.

I was having the same question and stumbled upon this website. There is really little info about what happen to him after 2014, but I found in an April 2016 article on a random Chinese website about him ranked no 1 (in the B team) at the Chinese national team internal matches, so he is promoted to the A team now.

Link: (Chinese)
http://www.wanhuajing.com/d345039

This user has no status.

Still an active member of the CNT and will continue to play in Super League. However, unless you are super talented (xu xin) the CNT rarely focuses their attention on leftys. Hao Shuai, Chen Qi were all over looked, although they would have winning over their counterparts.

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Still an active member of the CNT and will continue to play in Super League. However, unless you are super talented (xu xin) the CNT rarely focuses their attention on leftys. Hao Shuai, Chen Qi were all over looked, although they would have winning over their counterparts.

I doubt playing in World Championships qualifies as pverlooked. You just have to be in the top 3/4 and have consistent results in international competition, especially vs foreigners. That's where Hao Shuai and Chen Qi really fell short.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
As what Allen said, he is still in CNT setup, but we need to remember, being a world junior champion, does not mean you will be a men's champion in the view of CNT setup.

The game is evolving, new techniques comes out every season, and new rules change every day from ITTF.
CNT does not just look a performance in the past for these younger players, but rather predict which player will do better and then put support behind them. Some also jump the queue (FZD is a good example)

Sadly, only some players will get support and the others will become a "support role" to the main bunch of players.

What nextlevel says is easy, but what makes it difficult is, CNT A team, only focus on 5 players, maybe up to 7 for international tours, there is so many players fighting for that extra 2 to 3 slot (outside the top 4),

So many "potential" champions will miss out on a international career.
That's life in CNT

Not too many men's player has jumped ship, but Feng of Singapore is a good example and Li jia wei before her too. Staying in China, they can likely make the A team, but will only be training partners.
Feng has a gold medal and wouldn't have it if she stayed in China

So to me, the system works, but it also could be against them. Feng is good enough (in her prime) to be in CNT womens A team main force, but which coach/management messed it up? Yu Zhiyang could be a champion.
Chen Qi could be a champion.

But you know, Dima will always be the main force of Germany even if he is in bad form
Ma Long, ZJK, XX, FZD, one of them can't make the "team" if only 3 players is allowed
If Chen Qi was in Germany and didn't have CNT pressure, I am sure he will do better too

Last edited: