What do you think of choppers?

What do you think of choppers?

• They're cool, and I like playing against one.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • They're cool, but I don't like playing against one.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I don't like them, but I like playing against one.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I don't like them, and I don't like playing against one.

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
I'm just curious about this (especially after watching Joo beat Boll at the world cup). I mean choppers like Joo Se Hyuk, Chen Weixing and Yuto Muramatsu.
I think they're awesome, but nobody seems to be trying to become one at young age. I tried it when I was really young, but back then I wasn't really a patient player. Now it's starting to attract me again. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It is hard to be a chopper in lower level competitions I think. The courts are often very small. So that is probably a thing that makes potential young choppers switch to a more attacking, closer to the table style of play.

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
Chopper are really good for the sport i think as they offer a totally different style of play than what most people are used to see. I remember as a kid, i loved watching matches between choppers and attackers, because the contrast of play is so dramatic and appealing to the eye with these long rallies. Maybe with speed glue ban and few more years, we may see more chopper coming out?
One of my coaches(from China) once told me that the reason why the Chinese national team is much better than the rest of the world is that they always had choppers to train against! and that Europeans needed to learn how to play against under spin more.
To me I think that it is extremely beneficial to train against them as they force you to really focus on details ( hand motion no spin, spin, pips, etc...) and allow you to test you endurance in a rally and in a match!
I love training against them but too much of it can can also be detrimental to my game i often find.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I wish I can play more often..the really good ones I mean. It's a difficult art to master. You do get some at the lower end of the tier, but I think the lack of coach stunted the growth quite a bit here. It is totally different than offensive play in terms of footwork and even the usage of muscles required.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I love playing against choppers.. creates such amazing rallies, and i think it helps improve my forehand against backspin :)

I was not a chopper as every player around me was an attacker when i was young. I probably didn't even no what a chopper was hehe

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Chopper are really good for the sport i think as they offer a totally different style of play than what most people are used to see. I remember as a kid, i loved watching matches between choppers and attackers, because the contrast of play is so dramatic and appealing to the eye with these long rallies. Maybe with speed glue ban and few more years, we may see more chopper coming out?
One of my coaches(from China) once told me that the reason why the Chinese national team is much better than the rest of the world is that they always had choppers to train against! and that Europeans needed to learn how to play against under spin more.
To me I think that it is extremely beneficial to train against them as they force you to really focus on details ( hand motion no spin, spin, pips, etc...) and allow you to test you endurance in a rally and in a match!
I love training against them but too much of it can can also be detrimental to my game i often find.

I totally agree with you here Sir. Choppers are amazing for the sport! Without Chen Weixing and Joo Se Hyuk the sport would not be as exciting! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews

Yeah I know what you mean by the Chinese thing. One of my earlier teammates was a chopper and we trained a lot together. Back then I didn't have any problems with underspin in matches. But he quit, and now there isn't any chopper in my training group anymore and I can notice how I'm getting more problems with heavy underspin again. Especially when the opponent's has good counter attacks.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think choppers are great. The real problem with choppers is that there aren't enough choppers now to coach new players, they just seem to be dying off. Of course there are a lot of club level choppers, it seems to almost be given the image of the social option now. Players come into the sport and are attracted to the speed. All the new young players just want to come in (especially the boys) and see how hard they can smash the ball. Personally I love chop, my former coach was a chopper from Yantai in China and has a great style, I think chopping really is an art. In saying that I love playing choppers, as soon as a chop is marginally too high I make history out of it ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Just to comment on the point that there are not a lot of young choppers, there is a 9 or 10 years old chopper that I have seen and played against in tournaments. I beat him then when he was 8 years old and rated about 1500 (USATT) now the kid is pushing 2000 and is a great chopper...and 10 years old.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
While Korea has some really good choppers up and coming it's harder for them to excel in the sport. Excluding maybe Joo and Chen there aren't many high caliber choppers out there that would be able to reach the highest levels of play. The reason being that there just isn't enough spin on the balls at the moment for them to really mess up the elite attackers. With the new poly ball I suspect that Choppers much like Jpen users will be rare and a thing of the past.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
The reason is mostly because the crowd mostly doesn't understand how spin works. When they see a floater coming back over the net they're all like wow ooohhhh aahhhhh. But what they don't understand is that it's far easier for a chopper like Joo to return a topspin ball with his LP versus trying to attack the same type of ball by looping it yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
The reason is mostly because the crowd mostly doesn't understand how spin works. When they see a floater coming back over the net they're all like wow ooohhhh aahhhhh. But what they don't understand is that it's far easier for a chopper like Joo to return a topspin ball with his LP versus trying to attack the same type of ball by looping it yourself.

Indeed. To follow a match you need to have basic understanding of table tennis and spin. That is the reason people don't get table tennis as a sport, and they don't see how hard it is. They just think 'are those pro's?' when someone puts a return into the net because the server faked topspin. :p