Movin from Shakehand to penhold

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Hi guys,

I've been playing TT for more than a year with shakehand. The equipment I use is:

Blade: Timo Boll ALC.
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 80

Now, I'm planning to move to Chinese Penhold. The rubbers I was planning to use are the same:

but I'm not sure about the blade, some friends recommend me to use DHS Hurricane Hao III.

What would be your suggestions?

I like to play with a lot of topspin and some far from the table.

Thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi guys,

I've been playing TT for more than a year with shakehand. The equipment I use is:

Blade: Timo Boll ALC.

Now, I'm planning to move to Chinese Penhold. The rubbers I was planning to use are the same:

but I'm not sure about the blade, some friends recommend me to use DHS Hurricane Hao III.

What would be your suggestions?

I like to play with a lot of topspin and some far from the table.

Thanks in advance.

I am wondering what made you decide this.

This user has no status.
hey buddy, im very impressed. Youre playing Boll ALC and Tenergys and youre playing this sport for 1 year now? Thats pretty good. My TTR is about 2000 and youre equibment would be almost to fast for me, its like to fast close to the table ^^

about your idea: 90% of the penhold players prefer 5ply wood blades. One of the best ones you can go with is Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive. About the rubbers, i wouldnt recommend you a Tenergy 05. For penhold it is really high throw. If you want a European rubber go for something like Xiom Vega Pro, even better would be some DHS rubber or in general sticky rubber on your forehand. A pretty good mix good be the DHS Gold Arc 3. Backhand is kind of difficult if you try to play reserved backhand. Go for an very controlled rubber like Butterfly Sriver im serious youre going to need it, penholds reversed backhand is really really really difficult to play good with.

greets

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Thats funny, I just switched from penhold to shakehold.
My blocking and close game/touch shots just feel better with the shakehold grip.

about your idea: 90% of the penhold players prefer 5ply wood blades. One of the best ones you can go with is Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive. About the rubbers, i wouldnt recommend you a Tenergy 05. For penhold it is really high throw. If you want a European rubber go for something like Xiom Vega Pro, even better would be some DHS rubber or in general sticky rubber on your forehand. A pretty good mix good be the DHS Gold Arc 3. Backhand is kind of difficult if you try to play reserved backhand. Go for an very controlled rubber like Butterfly Sriver im serious youre going to need it, penholds reversed backhand is really really really difficult to play good with.

greets

Honestly, reverse penhold all comes down to how you hold the paddle. Some of my friends have a penhold grip that makes it very easy for them to do the penhold block, but then its very difficult for them to backhand.
My penhold grip makes it difficult to do the block, but I can backhand like a shakehold player.

There is a RPH grip and there is a PH grip. They are subtle differences but they impact on how a penholder plays.

I was thinking about selling my DHS Hurricane Long 3 cpen paddle too. I have only used it for 2 months, please message me if you are interested. =)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Okay, I'll say it. Most members here believe shakehand is superior to penhold and probably think you're making a mistake by switching to penhold. To a certain extent I would agree. Players in my club always attack my backhand and my blocking is nothing special.

So I took an old, generic paddle from my church, stuck two cheap Yinhe rubbers on it, and tried to make the switch to shakehand. That experiment lasted two weeks. My blocking felt more comfortable but I lost the attacking strength of my forehand. Although my forehand was good against an ipong, in a match it felt unnatural. Maybe I could adjust with time but I'm getting a little too old and time is what I don't have.

So I'm back to my trusty YEO cpen and decided to just work a little more on my fundamentals. The most successful penholders do have great backhands so I wouldn't say its outdated. So good luck in your endeavor. I recommend a cheap cpen setup, in case you change your mind, and I also recommend a thinner blade if you play RPB.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
hey buddy, im very impressed. Youre playing Boll ALC and Tenergys and youre playing this sport for 1 year now? Thats pretty good. My TTR is about 2000 and youre equibment would be almost to fast for me, its like to fast close to the table ^^

greets

YEO is 7 ply.
A Yasaka 5 ply is YE

I agree with having a lower throw FH rubber (T05 is indeed too high), but then again, it is depending on your style of play
I hope you have a coach to help you with your adjustment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014

greets

YEO is 7 ply.
A Yasaka 5 ply is YE

I agree with having a lower throw FH rubber (T05 is indeed too high), but then again, it is depending on your style of play
I hope you have a coach to help you with your adjustment

its better to use sriver for bh ...

I have a Sriver G3 FX I used before. Would it be good for BH? Currently I'm using T80 for BH and is not that bad in fact. I have good control with it. About the the FH think you are right guys, What do you think of using DHS NEO Hurricane 3?

About my penhold grip is like this:

attachmentdz.jpg

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think T80 on back hand or even T05 on back hand is fine

FH, If you are not used to hard sponge/tacky rubber, then don't go for H3 Neo.
Rather go for something that is harder than T05 and with low throw.
For example, I'm using Xiom Sigma II Pro on FH now, and loving it.

There is also the new H3-50 and H8 coming out. Where the H3-50 supposely has a more lively sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
YEO is 5 ply. It is printed on the blade face. There is another blade called YEO7 which is 5 Wood + 2 Carbon. Another 7 ply wood blade from Yasaka is YES.

Yes, my apologies. I got it mixed up.
YEO is 5 ply OFF
where YE is 5 ply All
YEO7 is 7 ply with carbon - OFF
you are right

Reactions: TurboZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
I'm just waking up this thread, according to my recent switching from shakehand to penhold.

I played as a penhold player 18 month ago, it was a "child dream" ( I am 56 ) But I stopped because of my bad backhand. I thought at that time I can't improve it any more.

But ... I tried again recently with one face only, as a "traditional" penhold player, and now my backhand is good. Perhaps I needed some rest ... I was searching about grips, rpb or not, etc ... Now, it's clear, one rubber only and a slower blade (my shakehand blade, I cut the handle).

I don't really know why my backhand is now far better but I'm quite glad to be switching again to penhold, and I am training a lot during holidays, in order to play in this way in all matchs.

I have a question, who are penhold players here ?

I will be doing a video as soon as possible

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Read 2 reviews
Hey, welcome to penhold! Table tennis is a fun game, and why not use what your enjoy playing rather than thinking too much on the result? I am also penhold player, and my setup is t05 on both side on rosewood XO. After a few years of play, I'm so used to my equipment that I can't play well with any other setup now. I have tried the Chinese tacky rubber but I found it is good with short push, but hard to generate top spins. t05 is great rubber once you manage the basic technique. I am not sure about the argument of high throw and too fast. I would recommend a light weight 5ply blade because it helps you to switch from forhand to backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
ah ah, i am interested about fun AND result ! In France, there is a lot of competitions, as you got a competition level, you will be playing competition, it becomes in a natural way.

A question, your two fingers thumband index are put on the bare wood or rubber ?

I rather like bare wood, it sounds better for traditional backhand, what do you think about it ?
( I am even trying to improve my backhand, it's my goal during summer holidays )