My experience switching from shakehand to penhold

hi everyone!
Just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences switching from shakehand to Chinese penhold (CP).

First of all, I've been playing CP for around 2 months. General feelings: it's different, but not so much, especially on the FH side.

Not much wrist flexibility on the BH, so preparing for the shot is a little awkward, especially dropping the wrist down when prepping for BH top spin against backspin. Overall I think it's definitely a weaker side for CP player, but manageable. Don't think that loop kills are even possible on the BH side. I'm definitely getting better at handling rpb.

Regarding the CP grip.
FH side is very understandable and intuitive. BH side though...I don't quite get how to play with fingers curled (picture 2). The wrist is more flexible for FH plays - that's true, but with fingers straight and aligned with the handle it feels more safe to play both FH and BH, but also somewhat restricts and stiffens the whole hand....I currently play with the second variant (picture 3), but seen many videos on YouTube that one should hold the racket with fingers curled.

Overall having fun transitioning and probably will stick to it.

Equipment.

For now I've tried two blades: Nittaku S7 (Spruce outer and Ayous somewhere inner? 7 plies) and YEO (walnut outer).
I am pretty sure I have much more confidence and loopkills with Nittaku S7, it's flexy, outer wood is more soft, but blocks are somewhat lacking, I have to be more active when blocking and the ball sometimes just drops when blocking (blade being flexible?)

On the other hand, YEO is very direct, blocking on both sides is very stable. I like BH feeling more on YEO, but my FH is just so not comfortable to play, there's less confidence in shots since I overshoot a lot...even Skyline TG2 doesn't give me more confidence. It's just more difficult to find the proper angle for loop kill.

Vega X is allright for BH, doesn't really matter to me what to use - decent rubber with ok spin, grippy.
TG2 on Nittaku blade shines, very good even though it's quite a hard rubber.

Check out my gameplay with YEO (I'm the guy in Piano t-shirt).
The opening loops have outstanding spin on the FH, but I just can't finish the point with YEO's stiff outer wood and rarely perform loop kill. I think I just need more confidence, which comes with more training :)

Attachments

• photo_2023-10-17_10-46-29.jpg
    photo_2023-10-17_10-46-29.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 140
  • photo_2023-10-17_10-46-29 (2).jpg
    photo_2023-10-17_10-46-29 (2).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 72
  • photo_2023-10-17_10-46-45.jpg
    photo_2023-10-17_10-46-45.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 69
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Looks nice. You are much better than me so I can't really give you qualified advice but I also switched to penhold around a year ago.

I think with the fingers everything from curled to straight can work, most are somewhat curled but xu xin did pretty well with straight fingers:).

Some stuff that I have learned for me (this isn't qualified advice but more a feel):

-I have fingers slightly curled but tips touching the rubber, not side of the fingers

-to open the bat on rpb blocks against more straight hits I try to lift the elbow and point the bat down. You can even do straight counter hits like this for practice. Not sure if this is the right way to do but at my low level it has kinda worked. Kinda like this

-grinding away more wood on the wings can make it feel more comfortable but don't overdo it either.

Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
You FH and BH strokes are already looking very solid, better than lots of CPen playing for years
If you play with RPB with no TPB, you may try gluing your rubber all the way to the handle, almost leaving no gap in between. I have heard it has better leverage / grip and power on BH since your thumb is pressing against the rubber and your index is on the handle anyway. Some people find it better some don't. It adds weight to your racket but it makes the weight more evenly distributed rather than more top heavy.
408bb5239f4c45ff8182787d7b23b564.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: zeio
says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
hi everyone!
Just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences switching from shakehand to Chinese penhold (CP).

First of all, I've been playing CP for around 2 months. General feelings: it's different, but not so much, especially on the FH side.

Not much wrist flexibility on the BH, so preparing for the shot is a little awkward, especially dropping the wrist down when prepping for BH top spin against backspin. Overall I think it's definitely a weaker side for CP player, but manageable. Don't think that loop kills are even possible on the BH side. I'm definitely getting better at handling rpb.

Regarding the CP grip.
FH side is very understandable and intuitive. BH side though...I don't quite get how to play with fingers curled (picture 2). The wrist is more flexible for FH plays - that's true, but with fingers straight and aligned with the handle it feels more safe to play both FH and BH, but also somewhat restricts and stiffens the whole hand....I currently play with the second variant (picture 3), but seen many videos on YouTube that one should hold the racket with fingers curled.

Equipment.

For now I've tried two blades: Nittaku S7 (Spruce outer and Ayous somewhere inner? 7 plies) and YEO (walnut outer).
I am pretty sure I have much more confidence and loopkills with Nittaku S7, it's flexy, outer wood is more soft, but blocks are somewhat lacking, I have to be more active when blocking and the ball sometimes just drops when blocking (blade being flexible?)

On the other hand, YEO is very direct, blocking on both sides is very stable. I like BH feeling more on YEO, but my FH is just so not comfortable to play, there's less confidence in shots since I overshoot a lot...even Skyline TG2 doesn't give me more confidence. It's just more difficult to find the proper angle for loop kill.

Vega X is allright for BH, doesn't really matter to me what to use - decent rubber with ok spin, grippy.

The opening loops have outstanding spin on the FH, but I just can't finish the point with YEO's stiff outer wood and rarely perform loop kill. I think I just need more confidence, which comes with more training :)

straight or curled it doesnt really matter as long as u feel comfy and natural to you

my grip is a mix; somewhere in a middle of picture 1 and 2. my fingers naturally assume the position the moment i grip my blade.

ur blade dilemma reminds me of my own dilemma between sanwei fextra 7 and yasaka goiabao 5. though as of now goiabao 5 became my main blade as it is just better in everything including topspin after ive adjusted to it

nice rpb btw (y)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
@mihalichtheone:

Hi, you are playing really well for someone who just switched to penhold grip for only 2 months.

My question is, what are the reasons that made you want to change to use penhold grip? Are there any advantages that you thought would benefit you if you made the switch?

@mihalichtheone:

Hi, you are playing really well for someone who just switched to penhold grip for only 2 months.

My question is, what are the reasons that made you want to change to use penhold grip? Are there any advantages that you thought would benefit you if you made the switch?
It's all about the style points :) No benefits in terms of winning more games yet. I still have many mistakes, but sometimes penhold gameplay is just so NOT like shakehand, people are not used to it (in my region). The reason of the switch is not because I can win more games, it's simply more satisfying and an awesome fresh feeling after playing shakehand for years.

I am glad you like it. Such an underrated rubber. Another thing about TG2 is the ease of chop block. I do it on my FH. Maybe another game variation?
@SFF_lib yep I sometimes do that too, but with Walnut outer it's more difficult. In fact, I sometimes manage to do that on my BH side, this is a cool shot.

Just yesterday the temptation was too heavy so I purchased TG2 Prov. 2.1mm blue sponge 39 degrees. Will boost it with 1-2 layers of seamoon and compare with orange sponge commercial.

Reactions: EdL and mightymouse
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
Looks great! Those forehands are 🔥

I did the same transition two years ago and can't go back now since penhold feels way more natural for me. I played with YEO too earlier but since changing to Hurricane 301 and later 301z my ranking improved quickly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
hi everyone!

Regarding the CP grip.

Equipment.

You're overall a pretty skilled player, but a couple of things. First, you're not finishing the point because you're not driving, both you and your partner almost exclusively brush loop regardless of situation. Secondly, the curled fingers give you much more wrist flexibility on the BH side. If that's a concern for you and it sounds like it is, then that's what you need to do. Xu Xin used picture 3 grip as he did not play much BH and was extremely FH dominant.

This user has no status.
YEO with TG2, what a wonderful setup. I have used this forehand for a long time, unbelievably comfortable short ball feel, blazing attack, and except for the weakening of the stability after retreating from the table, it could almost be called perfect. Personally, I would recommend your diagram 2 approach, which gives you more flexibility in your attacking line in the mid and near table.
YEO 和 TG2,多么美妙的设置。我用这个正手很久了,短球手感舒服得令人难以置信,进攻火热,除了退盘后稳定性减弱外,几乎可以称得上完美。就我个人而言,我推荐你的图表 2 方法,它可以让你在中近表的进攻线中具有更大的灵活性。
1703809333269.png