How to store used rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
No vacuum although that would be better. I just push the air out and seal the bag.

This user has no status.
For a few days, weeks, or months, keeping it all in bat case is fine.

If you want to long term store a rubber, rub a bunch or olive oil real liberally on the topsheet and seal it in closable ziplocking plastic bag. if you have the equipment to vacume seal it, great.

Serious? Olive oil? and that preserve the rubbers? ain't gonna have troubles with the goon squad? :eek:

I thing that or my mother or my mother in law have a vacuum machine. But if i'm not mistaken, it works with normal bags without ziplock. I think it sucks (oh yeah) the air and then melt the bag to seal it.

Just one thing. I bought a bunch of plastic sheets to protect the rubbers. Should i put the oil, the plastic and seal the rubber or not use the plastic?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Olive Oil is a GREAT rejuvuniator of rubber, really helps the elasticity. Rubber gets oxidized and loses that, you wanna slow that down, nothing like lack of air and some oil for that.

Rub the oil over the topsheet and store it like you want to keep out air, whether that is ziplock or vacume sealing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Look, even if you are not trying to boost the rubber and you are putting oil on the topsheet, you should know, the reason oils "restore" a rubber's performance, is because they cause the molecular bonds in the rubber to break down. Then they don't line up as well and they grab the ball better for a short time. After that short time, the rubber performs worse.

Personally, I would not store a rubber soaking in oil. I would store it as is. And if, when I used it again I felt the rubber needed "rejuvenation", I would add some form of oil then. I personally like WD40 better for topsheets but baby oil is okay too.

However, I would never, let me repeat that, NEVER put oil on the topsheet of a brand new Tenergy or any other rubber.

That is just a fairly expensive waste of time and money.

Those rubbers do not need something to make the topsheet perform better when they are new. And all that will do is make them have a much shorter lifespan.

Using oil to "restore" the grip of a topsheet is for when the topsheet has LOST ITS GRIP! Not for when it is new. You can't restore what it hasn't lost. But you can cause it to die faster.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Putting it short, Veggie Oil is a great thing to restore the rubber's elasticity and restore a good chunk of the grip. A lemon juice and Olive Oil rub for a tacky Chinese rubber can bring back a lot of the tack. If you do that and then breath on topsheet and immediately put on protective sheet, then leave it on overnight, you will have all of your original tackiness.

For the non-tacky rubbers, just sprinkle as much olive oil on the topsheet, but not so much it is slopping off the rubber. Rub in with fingers for a minute and wipe off the excess with a clean cloth. Rub the topsheet a bit more and wipe with cloth again. You should be able to use that rubber right away or store it in the manner you like.

I am with Carl in that you don't need to put oil on the topsheet of a new rubber, it already has original elasticity. I do not have the detailed explaination of HOW a rubber loses elasticity at the molecular level, but if you expose the rubber to air long enough, it will lose elasticity and some rubbers will oxidize more than others and lose their grip more. Oil will not completely overcome the oxidation on the topsheet, you gotta treat that a different way, and it is simply a better deal just to get a new rubber when the oil restore no longer does what you want it to.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. Air causes the rubber molecules to oxidize and lose elasticity. Oil will break down the rubber molecules a different way. The effect of oil will restore the rubber's grip for a while but it will not increase the elasticity. You can add oil to a seemingly dead topsheet many times. And it will help restore the grip many times. But at a certain point the rubber is really dead and nothing will change that.

Hopefully Kevin did not already add the oil to the brand new Tenergy, Rakza 9 and MX-P topsheets.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
In the past I made some test about boosting materials.
In nutshell: Baby oil:softens up the sponge, give some extra control, but not too much speed. Lasts quite long.
Paraffin oil: nearly the same as baby oil, less softening and a little more speed. The boost have a little shorter lifetime.
Citrus essential oil: enormous effect, very hight speed, spin, sharp feeling. Unfortunately it lasts only for a week (maximum).
Frying oil: softens up the sponge, gives good speed, but terrible control.
I made these tests with worned out cheap chinese rubbers.