Vendor says sticky protection films destroy tacky rubbers.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I was in a tt shop a few days ago and I was discussing with the vendor about the new hybrids and their effectiveness.

If course he says that tacky rubbers are a gimmick that cannot compete with tenergy, not like almost everyone in the top 20 plays with some form of tacky rubber but ok.

Eventually he started talking about how stickiness goes away quick and cleaning it with water destroys tacky rubbers, we were talking about a glayzer 09c btw. Then he said that using sticky films destroys tackiness on tacky rubbers and got me genuinely curious because I have started using sticky films on my hurricane 2 and haven't noticed anything yet, does anyone know more about that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I assume you don't want to apply film with its own adhesive to a rubber with a different adhesive layer since the two might interact in an unexpected way.

I clean with distilled water and use non-sticky plastic sheet for all my tacky rubbers and they all seem to be in great shape. 35 hours on a Battle 2 Pro and it's still in great shape. 25 hours on a Loki Arthur China and it looks brand new.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Hmm.. so am i in the wrong by using the adhesive rubber protect film from butterfly on my 09c? Was recommended by butturfly vendor.. Also used the protection film that came with the rubber itself.. can't imagine that being wrong lol!

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
PROTECTIVE COVERINGS IS A VITAL NECESSITY.

So now, natural raw rubber is a fairly sticky substance and it gets non sticky after thermo vulcanization. Once you prevent an outer side of rubber sheet from heating, you get the sheet with a sticky surface. It is a common knowledge with rubber engineers.

Yes, raw rubber will get dry and fragile in open air.
Using sticky or non sticky protection on rubber surface is your personal preference. Either would have a good protective effect.

Reactions: Lowday20298
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I'm wondering if the seller himself plays tennis with sticky rubbers and hybrids. Where did he get this information from? In my experience, non-stick screen protectors work great. With the help of a protective film, you can even restore lost stickiness.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Protection sheets are a MUST for ANY rubber that has tackiness, got to be plain, no sticky ones. I use sandwich bags for non tacky rubbers. Protection sheets just fall off!!
The tacky rubbers need cleaning during game play, they pick up dust real easy. When I finish playing I give the rubbers a quick clean with water and put the protection sheet on. I always put the protection sheets back on between games when I’m waiting to play as well.
I clean the protection sheets regularly as they can get dirty / dusty as well

Reactions: Choosikick
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The way I always looked at it, if the topsheet is sticky, then a piece of plain plastic will stick to it. There is no reason to use something sticky on something that is already sticky.

And, for sure, with a plain platic sheet, on a tacky rubber, the plain plastic sheet will help the stickiness of the plastic go back to its original tackiness; sometimes you can even make the topsheet more tacky with a plain plastic sheet.

I also had no trouble getting those same pieces of plain plastic to stick on rubbers like Tenergy, MXP, Rasanter.....so, I am not such a big fan of the stick plastic sheets. But, everyone has a right to try out their own concepts and see how they work. It won't do too much if you used sticky sheet coverings on sticky rubber. And if it did, you would see it soon enough and non-sticky plastic sheets could restore them if the sticky sheets made the topsheet grip less.

Reactions: Der_Echte
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
PROTECTIVE COVERINGS IS A VITAL NECESSITY.

So now, natural raw rubber is a fairly sticky substance and it gets non sticky after thermo vulcanization. Once you prevent an outer side of rubber sheet from heating, you get the sheet with a sticky surface. It is a common knowledge with rubber engineers.

Yes, raw rubber will get dry and fragile in open air.
Using sticky or non sticky protection on rubber surface is your personal preference. Either would have a good protective effect.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I'm wondering if the seller himself plays tennis with sticky rubbers and hybrids. Where did he get this information from? In my experience, non-stick screen protectors work great. With the help of a protective film, you can even restore lost stickiness.
He was a formal national player in Greece, his name is George Petrocheilos. Very good player and one of the top personal coaches.

BUT, he's the official butterfly vendor and has played with Tenergy

Reactions: Choosikick
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
H3 will need non stick film.
if you have an adhesive film, just don't peel off the non writing part, using the clean/non writing part on the top sheet.

Personally, I don't like adhesive films, they stick too much dirt on.
Yeah I noticed that as well. I ended up cleaning the adhesive film with water and let it dry completely before putting it back on.

I know you're a professional so I'll take your word over the sponsored vendor, is it hurtful to the rubber to use adhesive film, like the one that is pre-applied on the Glayzer 09c at the factory, on tacky rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I use sticky for D09c, seems to work pretty well. It comes with a sticky protection sheet so I usually just cut it and use that. It picks up dust after a while, but I just clean it with water and the dust will come right off.

Reactions: vvk1
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I use sticky for D09c, seems to work pretty well. It comes with a sticky protection sheet so I usually just cut it and use that. It picks up dust after a while, but I just clean it with water and the dust will come right off.
I did the same, I had a Glayzer 09c, and now I use the sticky film for my Hurricane

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The way I always looked at it, if the topsheet is sticky, then a piece of plain plastic will stick to it. There is no reason to use something sticky on something that is already sticky.

And, for sure, with a plain platic sheet, on a tacky rubber, the plain plastic sheet will help the stickiness of the plastic go back to its original tackiness; sometimes you can even make the topsheet more tacky with a plain plastic sheet.

I also had no trouble getting those same pieces of plain plastic to stick on rubbers like Tenergy, MXP, Rasanter.....so, I am not such a big fan of the stick plastic sheets. But, everyone has a right to try out their own concepts and see how they work. It won't do too much if you used sticky sheet coverings on sticky rubber. And if it did, you would see it soon enough and non-sticky plastic sheets could restore them if the sticky sheets made the topsheet grip less.
We need USA leading expert on tacky H3, Sergey Tsos to comment on this.

Until then, what Carl articulated works super. if you clean a tacky rubber, then moisten it slightly, then place plain plastic cover on the topsheet, then leave it overnight... that puppy will be tackier than OEM for sure.