How often to change table tennis rubber?

This user has no status.
80c80f0355b8b31a6dd75d979db79f98.jpg
399428e644fbd17992823daf511e6d54.jpg
a34dbd9800e4daa2c2f6353d869eb6b1.jpg

Without creating new thread,,, I wanted to ask whether someone could identify as the rubber is dead or not.
It used to have great spin effect, though slight tack is there, but it is not feeling good as it was before boosting.
I have played with this rubber for 2-3 months, and recently I boosted topsheet and sponge by baby oil.
After that,, the topsheet quality doesn't seem good. The bat has overall good flat shot speed and feeling, but while using too much topsheet for loop, it seems like the topsheet is not able to grab the ball.
I m using dhs rubber first time. Need help guys !

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
change it ! but how did you manage to keep the middle nice and wondering, just wondering what paddle are you using , may be you need to go with a paddle with more feeling ... again lot of assumptions here ... so don't get all grumpy on me :)
Yeah, I mean after boosting, I guess the topsheet except in the middle has stretched more than its elastic limit. I don't know,, though there is a lot of light in the pic, but you identified correctly.
Do you know the reason why it could have happened? So that I could prevent while using other topspin.
About the blade, it is good for me, quite solid, slow in short game and always has tremendous power when attacking.
I also have dhs pg7, which has more dwell time and skyline 3 neo on it.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl will tell you that when you can see through the rubber and see those pip structures like that, then it MIGHT be time to get another sheet soon.

Ultimately, the player is the judge of this. The player ought to know very soon after hitting with such a rubber and know if it is worn out. However, since a player might play with the same rubber for a very long time and the degradation happens so slowly, they never notice and have slowly adapted to the rubber and might still make it work acceptable passable well.

Der_Echte and his years old Aurus/XP2008 rubbers, which are the epic stuff of the Der_Echte Special can be like that. You see me hit with a those rubbers which were well over two years past replacement date and you would wonder what tuner I gave them. Answer is a special tuner -none - except wiping the rubbers on my sweaty-azz shirt and waving it dry, then unceremoniously tossing it into my bat case... if I didn't disable it by chucking it into the Hudson River while standing somewhere on the Brooklyn Bridge.

And NO Virginal Virginia, Der_Echte does not consider that a valid reason to jump off that bridge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
But can you feel when it hits the middle and when it does not , just asking again without assuming anything ...
Yeah, I mean after boosting, I guess the topsheet except in the middle has stretched more than its elastic limit. I don't know,, though there is a lot of light in the pic, but you identified correctly.
Do you know the reason why it could have happened? So that I could prevent while using other topspin.
About the blade, it is good for me, quite solid, slow in short game and always has tremendous power when attacking.
I also have dhs pg7, which has more dwell time and skyline 3 neo on it.

This user has no status.
But can you feel when it hits the middle and when it does not , just asking again without assuming anything ...
Yes, I can feel alright. Though very minimal vibrations, but it seems quite solid.
May I know why you don't like the blade? Walnut outer? Yes I have other blade with limba outer and definitely more dwell and feel, and that's the back up blade, which I am using right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
No no , I don't have anything against the blade or the rubbers in particular, just looking at the way the rubber has worn I was wondering if you are hitting the middle as often as you should . From personal experience, when I warm up I always focus on getting the feeling of hitting the ball on the middle as much I can , I don't really get bothered if my topspins are landing on warm up and such, especially on the forehand. On the backhand , again its a little different dynamic.

I was just trying to understand whether you are feeling the ball in your strokes alright , because its extremely important to be able to hit the middle on all your shots, excluding the service.

I was not entirely sure about my observation because of the light etc, and hence was bugging you with all those questions :)
Yes, I can feel alright. Though very minimal vibrations, but it seems quite solid.
May I know why you don't like the blade? Walnut outer? Yes I have other blade with limba outer and definitely more dwell and feel, and that's the back up blade, which I am using right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: achalwins94
This user has no status.
The rubber was alright before i boosted with baby oil. After boosting, it seems that rubber got damaged or so.
By the way, you are using h8 now. How would you compare h8 and h3 neo?
Would h8 suit a stiff all wood blade like yeo or it would need flex since it is hard sponge? Your opinion would matter since I am thinking of changing this rubber. So I may get either of them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I have used H8 with Zhang Jike ALC ( the first version that came out ) . I have really liked it . Its good in the short game and has enough power otherwise. But don't boost it . If you boost it , like Dan said it loses power from distance.
Because its pre-boosted it will be less of a headache . The tackiness is more than H3 and helps in controlling the short game because otherwise the top-sheet is bouncier than H3. I have been using it for last 4-5 months ( 4-5 days a week 1 / 1.5 hours a day ) and I can still pick a ball if I keep the blade on the ball for long enough.

The rubber was alright before i boosted with baby oil. After boosting, it seems that rubber got damaged or so.
By the way, you are using h8 now. How would you compare h8 and h3 neo?
Would h8 suit a stiff all wood blade like yeo or it would need flex since it is hard sponge? Your opinion would matter since I am thinking of changing this rubber. So I may get either of them.

Reactions: achalwins94
This user has no status.
I have used H8 with Zhang Jike ALC ( the first version that came out ) . I have really liked it . Its good in the short game and has enough power otherwise. But don't boost it . If you boost it , like Dan said it loses power from distance.
Because its pre-boosted it will be less of a headache . The tackiness is more than H3 and helps in controlling the short game because otherwise the top-sheet is bouncier than H3. I have been using it for last 4-5 months ( 4-5 days a week 1 / 1.5 hours a day ) and I can still pick a ball if I keep the blade on the ball for long enough.
The first version of h8, feels again like commercial and national type versions. Anyway, are those h8, from tabltennis11 good enough? Because I intend to buy from there, since I find them reliable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Sorry for the confusion, I meant first version of the ZJK ALC , I got the mid-soft version of H8 , not into the funny business of commercial and national etc.

The first version of h8, feels again like commercial and national type versions. Anyway, are those h8, from tabltennis11 good enough? Because I intend to buy from there, since I find them reliable.

This user has no status.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant first version of the ZJK ALC , I got the mid-soft version of H8 , not into the funny business of commercial and national etc.
Okay, that saved me a bunch of time and stress [emoji28] [emoji28]

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Another thing, be very very careful when playing in India , there is dust everywhere and if you don't keep cleaning the rubber all the time , it will lose its grip very quickly. Also , clean it with water and put a rubber protector before putting it away for the day

Glad to be help, I hope you like it. I also used Tibhar MX-P on the backhand and I am a big fan !

This user has no status.
Glad to be help, I hope you like it. I also used Tibhar MX-P on the backhand and I am a big fan !
How is the durability? And by any chance could you compare them with rakza 7 and rakza 10 ?
What i have heard is that mx-p loses juice fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I did not feel that at all achal , it could be the california weather ... but I am not sure ... I am not a big fan of rakza , I used it and found the topsheet to be very good , but not a real modern rubber and too heavy for the spin and speed it gives. But that is my personal opinion , there are tons of better informed EJs with more feeling and knowledge about this stuff , out here in the forum , who can give a more detailed technical input on those rubbers
How is the durability? And by any chance could you compare them with rakza 7 and rakza 10 ?
What i have heard is that mx-p loses juice fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Another rubber I really like on the backhand is the Xiom Omega Pro IV , be careful with the rubber version though, there are a lot of Xiom rubbers which have different characteristic. @NextLevel / @UpSideDownCarl : Do you have any word of advise for Mr. Achal here, it seems he is in the middle of some equipment change and would appreciate the feedback.

Achal : Can you also post some recent video of yourself playing , I think it will really help for people to give you advise on equipment ...
I did not feel that at all achal , it could be the california weather ... but I am not sure ... I am not a big fan of rakza , I used it and found the topsheet to be very good , but not a real modern rubber and too heavy for the spin and speed it gives. But that is my personal opinion , there are tons of better informed EJs with more feeling and knowledge about this stuff , out here in the forum , who can give a more detailed technical input on those rubbers

This user has no status.
Hmm, that's good info for me. Though anyway, might replace h3 for now. I am thinking of geeting more dynamic rubber for bh than what I have, but maybe I don't think my bh is that strong to use a modern advance rubber. Might develop some outstanding techniques first. Thanks for the info! I will definitely put them into use.

This user has no status.
Another rubber I really like on the backhand is the Xiom Omega Pro IV , be careful with the rubber version though, there are a lot of Xiom rubbers which have different characteristic. @NextLevel / @UpSideDownCarl : Do you have any word of advise for Mr. Achal here, it seems he is in the middle of some equipment change and would appreciate the feedback.

Achal : Can you also post some recent video of yourself playing , I think it will really help for people to give you advise on equipment ...
I am not a regular player. I will post some videos when I will be getting time
Right now, a bit involved in studying for GRE, you know, might get lucky to play with you guys next year, and I am targetting California colleges