Looking for advice (mainly on equipment)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, if you want both performance and feel, nothing is better than Tenergy. The FX versions of Tenergy all have great feel.

And, oh yeah, based on what you said about BH and FH above, just use same rubber for both sides.

Also, getting your BH to improve from far back just takes practice and good timing. You don't have to swing hard. It has more to do with how you touch the ball and whip your wrist. So, it just takes practicing it in a non-pressure situation.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Yes that make perfect sense.
another question , is there a point investing in a "high end" blade such as the
Nittaku Violin or Stiga Rosewood NCT VII or would a caliper or intensity will be more than enough ? (assuming i have the budget for both , however would not want to invest more if i dont have to).

inkognito ,
i do understand what you are saying however i feel like that may be a let down for me at least mentally.

and i cant really give up on performance and trying to win right now since iam starting to play at our local league next month.

Edit : Ok , what would be your next pick after tenergy ? (if they are not available)

Last edited:
Reactions: Inkognito
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Whatever you do, don't get a Rosewood VII. Well, unless you want to play with a tree trunk.

Clipper is awesome. It is one of the best 7 ply all wood blades. I know a lot of pro players who use Clipper.

Rosewood V NCT is excellent also.

Rosewood XO even better.

Intensity NCT (all wood) is good.

Nittaku Acoustic good.

Best blade for the money of the ones I listed is Clipper. And if you are okay with a 7 ply blade that is a little on the heavy side, it is also just as good as any blade listed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Next pick after Tenergy, in my book:

Xiom Omega V Europe.

After that:

Aurus Soft.

Any of those rubbers on a Clipper and you will feel sooooo much.

Clippers play best when they are between 90-97 grams. I had one that was 95 grams that was amazing. One that was 88 grams that was like vanilla. It did everything fine. But it did not have that same big ballsy feeling.

Rosewood V or XO will have that ballsy feeling at lower weights.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
By the way, if you want both performance and feel, nothing is better than Tenergy. The FX versions of Tenergy all have great feel.

And, oh yeah, based on what you said about BH and FH above, just use same rubber for both sides.

Also, getting your BH to improve from far back just takes practice and good timing. You don't have to swing hard. It has more to do with how you touch the ball and whip your wrist. So, it just takes practicing it in a non-pressure situation.

I use Tenergy 05FX on one side and I agree with you that it has a lovely feel. However, the one downside I'm finding is that I'm having more difficulty returning very spinny serves. Is there any rubber you would recommend that has a similar feel to Tenergy 05FX but has more control?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I use Tenergy 05FX on one side and I agree with you that it has a lovely feel. However, the one downside I'm finding is that I'm having more difficulty returning very spinny serves. Is there any rubber you would recommend that has a similar feel to Tenergy 05FX but has more control?

If a rubber helps you generate a lot of spin, you sort of have to have the skill of touching the ball just so, so that you control the incoming spin.

In other words, a rubber that will help you handle the incoming spin of spinny serves will also generate less spin. If that is what you want, russell, get Xiom Vega Europe.

FX-P might help you handle the spin a little better than T05fx but it would have way less feeling and it still wouldn't generate as much spin.

Reactions: russell
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@UpSideDownCarl : Is softer backhand rubber advisable for backhands away from the table ?

Alex Pérez uses Calibra LT Sound on both sides and he plays way back. His counterloops from back there are amazing from either wing.

So, it can be done.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
For some reason I would like to suggest the Petr Korbel blade with the rubbers you have MX-P right? That blade might have all what you are looking for atm. It is not that pricy as well. If you figure out the rubbers still are too hard then you need softer rubbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
@UpSideDownCarl : Is softer backhand rubber advisable for backhands away from the table ?

I think another important factor is the arc of the rubber/ball
softer tend to lead to higher arc
harder tend to lead to lower arc

So technically speaking, lower arc is good for close to table and higher arc from away from table
But nowadays, it is all mixed matched and together with player's skills, anything can work :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Here is the context , I recently changed from MX-P to FX-P. My experience was that it has more tolerance in the close to the table game and a little less away from the table. It was easier to generate power with MX-P when away from the table. This could well be because I am only 2 weeks into the softer rubber ... I did not want to scare the OP , but thought the question was within in the current context ...
I do not see why it shouldn't ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
For backhand softer is better for away from the table if you don't plan on getting a point from that distance with your backhand. Hold that control, give them that nasty backhand loop sidespin nonsense that is so easy for you to do with soft rubbers.

It's all perspective though, I'm sure there are styles out there that a harder backhand would be better off the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Here is the context , I recently changed from MX-P to FX-P. My experience was that it has more tolerance in the close to the table game and a little less away from the table. It was easier to generate power with MX-P when away from the table. This could well be because I am only 2 weeks into the softer rubber ... I did not want to scare the OP , but thought the question was within in the current context ...

With your change from harder to softer.
Are you having a problem where the ball shoots too long when away from the table?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews

With your change from harder to softer.
Are you having a problem where the ball shoots too long when away from the table?

Re-emphasizing tony's question, what do you mean by there's less tolerance away from the table? I can't imagine it going long unless making too much contacts. While dipping short with a brushing stroke can happen quite easily with this rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The shots are going into the net , the feeling is almost like it lacks power ....

Here is how this changing equipment thing works:

If you were playing with the old rubber, MX-P, for a while, and now you are playing with something so much softer, FX-P, over time your stroke should recalibrate to the softer rubber. But it sounds like it has not just yet. At least not from distance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Carl ....
Here is how this changing equipment thing works:

If you were playing with the old rubber, MX-P, for a while, and now you are playing with something so much softer, FX-P, over time your stroke should recalibrate to the softer rubber. But it sounds like it has not just yet. At least not from distance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Whatever you do, don't get a Rosewood VII. Well, unless you want to play with a tree trunk.

Clipper is awesome. It is one of the best 7 ply all wood blades. I know a lot of pro players who use Clipper.

Rosewood V NCT is excellent also.

Rosewood XO even better.

Intensity NCT (all wood) is good.

Nittaku Acoustic good.

Best blade for the money of the ones I listed is Clipper. And if you are okay with a 7 ply blade that is a little on the heavy side, it is also just as good as any blade listed.

great , so clipper it is , which variant tho ?
i`ve seen there is a few : CR , CC , CR WRB , clipper without any additions.
Also could you please explain a little bit about the handle types ? (ST / WIDE FL / FL / ANAT)
regarding the rubber , what thickness do you recommend ?
thanks !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
The shots are going into the net , the feeling is almost like it lacks power ....

Carl and Tony have pointed out some of the reasons already. You really need to adjust to the rubber. Sounds like you need some more brush action when playing BH away from the table. The rubber should be fast enough. If you bottom out rubber when playing away for the table the rubber would be too soft then it is another case.