Cleaning rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Continuing.

There are a lot of variables to control. Frequency of cleaning, how soon after play. Type of cloth or sponge. How many strokes and how hard you push the cloth or sponge against the rubber. Each cleaning method would need to be compared to some standard, such as distilled water.

There are a lot of things we don't know because it is too hard to really know them, and frankly not worth the effort to properly find out.

This is one. So I use tap water and a microfiber cloth. It is a guess. That is all it is. But really we are all making informed guesses about cleaning. And gluing. And rubbers that we buy. How we treat our aches and pains. Our shoes. Etc.
Well, I agree with what you say, I still think it is worth the time to try to find out what other people are doing and at least some of the effect is seems to have.

I mean, this is a forum for discussion and are we not here to discuss things? Or what is your reason for being here and posting stuff?

EDIT: The reason I think the discussion is worth having to begin with is because I've seen some really stupid ideas about cleaning your paddle here and elsewhere on the internet and it should be possible to at least find out if using a cleaning product actually has any effect compared to water without doing a full blown scientific procedure. I'm all for the scientific approach if somebody else is willing though... :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Well, maybe you just can't (or rather don't want to) see a relation of my little example what germs and bacteria can cause.

See i live close to airport region, and one undertaker from a neighbour town had to burry somebody who was sick from SARS and who came to Germany and then deceased here. Now after a couple of days that undertaker was diagnosted to have caught SARS as well.. and then died.
End of story. No happy end. Especially not for his family.

So my phobia (at least to me) seems to be quite real...

Now let me ask you:
who would be considered as the bigger fool?

The one having phobias and exposing them on a tabletennis forum
or rather the fool belittleling it and trying to make fun of it?
And jumping on the bandwagon just to look smart wouldn't be considered as very brave anyways. Plus i think this kind of behaviour is not known as an indicator of a nice character...

[Emoji12]

Well, basically you can carry on trying to defend disgusting methods of rubber cleaning with body sweat.
But the question who is the bigger fool has now clearly been answered.

Thanks again.
[Emoji2]
There is no relation between your examples and the discussion, that you started, about germ transfer between table tennis paddles and table tennis balls. So to me it is pretty clear who is a fool and not, not that I really care what you say or do anyway.

And the reason I don't care is because each discussion you enter on this forum you say something stupid that you claim is true and then state something to the effect that anybody disagreeing with you is clearly wrong and when proven wrong yourself, you enter what amounts to a "well, think about the children" argument that actually has not bearing or value in the current discussion. You argue the same way politicians do or maybe religious people, or both.

There's no use discussing things with such people, for them it is more about being right than getting at the truth. If such a person gets it in his head that the earth is flat, then he will believe it until the day he dies.

Personally I have no problem admitting being wrong, I'm wrong on a regular basis, comes with liking discussion, the truth, and having a lot of creative ideas.

So I'll give you one last shot. Give me one piece of verifiable evidence that supports your claim that germs transferred between table tennis players, through the ball, is an actual problem and I'll admit that you are correct.

EDIT: And I openly admitted to being a germophobe myself, the difference between you and me is that I know that and understand that I have a phobia and that it doesn't translate into what you seem to believe.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Well, I agree with what you say, I still think it is worth the time to try to find out what other people are doing and at least some of the effect is seems to have.

I mean, this is a forum for discussion and are we not here to discuss things? Or what is your reason for being here and posting stuff?

EDIT: The reason I think the discussion is worth having to begin with is because I've seen some really stupid ideas about cleaning your paddle here and elsewhere on the internet and it should be possible to at least find out if using a cleaning product actually has any effect compared to water without doing a full blown scientific procedure. I'm all for the scientific approach if somebody else is willing though... :)

No doubt. That is why we all come here. Just know that some stuff that one suspects might be really well understood is pretty much a black box, and oddly enough, this is one of those things.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
There is no relation between your examples and the discussion, that you started, about germ transfer between table tennis paddles and table tennis balls. So to me it is pretty clear who is a fool and not, not that I really care what you say or do anyway.

And the reason I don't care is because each discussion you enter on this forum you say something stupid that you claim is true and then state something to the effect that anybody disagreeing with you is clearly wrong and when proven wrong yourself, you enter what amounts to a "well, think about the children" argument that actually has not bearing or value in the current discussion. You argue the same way politicians do or maybe religious people, or both.

There's no use discussing things with such people, for them it is more about being right than getting at the truth. If such a person gets it in his head that the earth is flat, then he will believe it until the day he dies.

Personally I have no problem admitting being wrong, I'm wrong on a regular basis, comes with liking discussion, the truth, and having a lot of creative ideas.

So I'll give you one last shot. Give me one piece of verifiable evidence that supports your claim that germs transferred between table tennis players, through the ball, is an actual problem and I'll admit that you are correct.

EDIT: And I openly admitted to being a germophobe myself, the difference between you and me is that I know that and understand that I have a phobia and that it doesn't translate into what you seem to believe.

Hahahaaa, this is really getting awesome here.

I beg your pardon.
I didn't know you have made already so many positive contributions to this forum with your nine postings and being a member since a couple of days.
So quite nice you're trying to judge over me as if we'd been knowing us for ages.

Good thing everyone can see all last postings made.

I don't have a problem to admit when proven wrong. I even partwise agreed on your first contribution in this thread.
The big difference is that i don't always agree on everything said, just to please somebody's likes. Many times i post things that people might not like to hear or read, but i wouldn't be myself, if I wouldn't speak my mind, since I'm not here for collecting 'like-thumbs'.

Some people might find that strange, but i rather find it strange if someone just changes like the weather. Where i come from that behaviour would be considered as the behaviour of a female cat. I know the actual word for this would be a little less polite, but I rather leave the namecalling up to you, since you've proven to be so good at it....

And certainly I agree that the chance of any infection is much higher of someone coughing and sneezing in a tabletennis hall than from carrying germs on a tabletennis ball,
but i wouldn't go so far to promote gross and disgusting rubber cleansing methods on a public forum.

Basically it's your personal business if you do so, you can even wipe your racket between your cheeks,(and i'm certainly not talking 'bout the ones in your face) as long as i don't have to play with you, but don't expect these gross recommendations being uncommented by me on a public forum where kids can also read.
It's part of acting responsible and has nothing to do with politics or religion.

You might be able to understand this, if you have kids on your own...

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Alright guys, let's drop the arguing and the personal attacks. Please.

And I am willing to bet that most of you would be happy to put your hands on some of the sweaty legs, arms and shoulders I was just in contact with and you might even start thinking about exchanging saliva or other bodily fluids with quite a few of them.

[emoji2]

[emoji91] [emoji213] [emoji213] [emoji91]

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Ok, that often. I was taught that you should clean with water most of the time and use a cleaner once a week or even more seldom than that.

I'm not saying that what I was taught was correct either, how to clean your rubbers seem to be surrounded by quite a few myths and not that much solid facts, that's why I liked your videos. I'm all for a fact based discussion about things like this.

So, a follow up question. Using the procedure you use, what would you say is the average life time of a rubber?
i`m not sure ... after this 3-4 months the rubbers are as new..... i let you know when they stop working.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No doubt. That is why we all come here. Just know that some stuff that one suspects might be really well understood is pretty much a black box, and oddly enough, this is one of those things.
Well I agree with that, but for example, I think Bobpuls's suggestion to not use soap is important for example, because I've seen it suggested many times, but science supports what Bobpuls says about soap.

Also, the people I know that use only tap water has no where near as tacky rubbers as Bobpuls has after say 4 months of playing, so I find his videos really interesting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well I agree with that, but for example, I think Bobpuls's suggestion to not use soap is important for example, because I've seen it suggested many times, but science supports what Bobpuls says about soap.

Also, the people I know that use only tap water has no where near as tacky rubbers as Bobpuls has after say 4 months of playing, so I find his videos really interesting.
Sure, but it might be a function of the rubber as much as the process. I used tap water and my fingers when I used Big Dipper and the most important thing in my experience was to use the protector sheets. My rubbers were easily as tacky as Bobpuls was.

People can buy all these cleaners, but in my experience, the benefit is more tied to the personality of the caretaker than the actual effectiveness of the cleaner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
i`m not sure ... after this 3-4 months the rubbers are as new..... i let you know when they stop working.
That's interesting. I have a friend with a Hurricane 3 rubber which is a lot less tacky after 5 months and he uses only tap water.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Sure, but it might be a function of the rubber as much as the process. I used tap water and my fingers when I used Big Dipper and the most important thing in my experience was to use the protector sheets. My rubbers were easily as tacky as Bobpuls was.

People can buy all these cleaners, but in my experience, the benefit is more tied to the personality of the caretaker than the actual effectiveness of the cleaner.
I have a friend with a Hurricane 3 that is less tacky after just 5 months and he uses only tap water, it might be manufacturing and/or different play style or something though.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And tacky rubber is weird stuff. I recently pulled out a racket I hadn't used in at least 4 years. It was from back when I used to use H3. When I last used this racket, the rubber was dead. When I pulled it out--it is about 6 weeks ago now--the Tenergy felt like antispin: like ice. But the H3, it was really hard pulling the plastic sheet off the H3. It was fully tacky and maybe it was more tacky than it ever had been when new.

When you leave one of those plastic sheets on a tacky rubber, somehow the rubber restores its tackiness.

The sponge and rubber may have lost a lot of their elasticity, but the topsheet was very grippy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
And tacky rubber is weird stuff. I recently pulled out a racket I hadn't used in at least 4 years. It was from back when I used to use H3. When I last used this racket, the rubber was dead. When I pulled it out--it is about 6 weeks ago now--the Tenergy felt like antispin: like ice. But the H3, it was really hard pulling the plastic sheet off the H3. It was fully tacky and maybe it was more tacky than it ever had been when new.

When you leave one of those plastic sheets on a tacky rubber, somehow the rubber restores its tackiness.

The sponge and rubber may have lost a lot of their elasticity, but the topsheet was very grippy.

Interesting. Did you use plain tap water for cleansing?
Maybe it really has to do with the plastic covers, 'cause as OP and me have mentioned before, water wouldn't help much to get rid of the fat.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Interesting. Did you use plain tap water for cleansing?
Maybe it really has to do with the plastic covers, 'cause as OP and me have mentioned before, water wouldn't help much to get rid of the fat.

Rubbers are manufactured with oils. Some people rub oils into their topsheets or their sponges for extra effect. I get the idea that random or uneven oil/grease might make a rubber inconsistent, but the idea that it is bad for rubber doesn't strike me as sound.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Rubbers are manufactured with oils. Some people rub oils into their topsheets or their sponges for extra effect. I get the idea that random or uneven oil/grease might make a rubber inconsistent, but the idea that it is bad for rubber doesn't strike me as sound.

I guess that could be quite right.
If I remember correctly, the Revolution 3 cleaner (from the last pic i've posted) is said to be containing some kind of oil. It softens up the topsheet over a while of usage and hence overusage of it isn't recommendable at all.
Hmmmmh.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Suga D I will be upset at you for even thinking of this. The forum is not collectively a group of dumbfick slappies. TTD members generally have a high level of bullshyt filters.

Yet you have the proper attitude of concern. That is necessary and proper.

I will personally pound the sucks who thinks less of you for your opinions.

Believe it or not NL is good people in person and online and I will also pound the muddy Fudd a who hates him, but NL is big and badazz enough to see to that personally.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

That's a good point, tacky does not necessarily mean good grip. I remember when I was little, about third grade, when all that mattered was having a really tacky rubber and being able to lift the ball, you where the cool kid if you could, and people used to have lemonade and other strange things on their rubbers, which would ruin it completely, but they sure where tacky...

Personally I have a theory about my friends rubber and him using tap water. We have a lot of lime in the water around here. I _think_ it might be really bad for rubbers, it's just a theory though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I agree, I have seen more damage from rubbers drying out than from the oils one possibly get on the rubber from hands and so on.

I've heard about people that claim that they use different kind of oils on their actual rubber sheet, but I have never dared try myself, because it seems to me to be bait as "drilling a hole in your phone of a certain type, which I for some reason cannot name here, for headphones", but I might try with my current rubbers when I'm about to change them, just to see what's what.

I think too much oil would be as bad as having a rubber dry out though, but I have no data supporting that idea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Suga D I will be upset at you for even thinking of this. The forum is not collectively a group of dumbfick slappies. TTD members generally have a high level of bullshyt filters.

Yet you have the proper attitude of concern. That is necessary and proper.

I will personally pound the sucks who thinks less of you for your opinions.

Believe it or not NL is good people in person and online and I will also pound the muddy Fudd a who hates him, but NL is big and badazz enough to see to that personally.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Hahaaa. Der_Echte, you're a good guy.
Thank you. That's a big move.

I think since i've been on this forum i haven't been much into name calling, but just love pointing things out, which haven't been to everybody's likes and been stepping on toes permanently.

So thank you guys for taking these things like men. Carl, NL and you always seem to be having the ability to read between the lines.

Speaking of NL.
@NL: as far as i remember, i haven't been doing any namecalling, though i must admit that the way i argue, could leave people feeling insulted.
My deepest respect for doing what you do. And yes, you sure can be proud of every achievement you've reached so far.
There's not many people who have the nuts to expose themselves to criticism by starting the sport as an adult learner. I feel the need to point this out, and want to apologise if it came across differently.
Probably i wrote that 'cause I couldn't do that. I always thought of myself that nobody would be interested seeing a slightly overweighted old man trying to get back his touch and consistency.
So congrats again on how far you've come. Maybe one day I'll finally make it to post a video of myself here...
Have a lovely evening everyone.

P.S. somehow i miss OSPH's posts. Hope everything is well with him.

Last edited: