Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
So played like poo poo today. But playing wasn't my biggest loss!.

The biggest loss came after getting frustrated, going through all of NL's videos from both events and not finding the 11-0 match. Now I'm thinking, this scavenger hunt is to be found somewhere else, or I overlooked the right one. Richie is a badass for finding it first.

Never have I watched videos of NL and rooted against him so hard before.

edit: think I got it. twas a fun scavenger hunt.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I haven't done any serves today, no access to table, so I will have to continue on Monday. I will probably upload my serves on Monday or Tuesday. Even if I won, I can't have the equipment shipped to me, so there's no rush on my part. :rolleyes:

In a while I will not have any access to a table for some time, so I will have to do the serves soon, but I might post somewhat regular updates on the pancake drill. I already posted one before, but that was at my utmost worst. I think I can muster out 5 tight ones at least.

In terms of serves and the drill, I've noticed that my contact point is more consistent laterally, from my POV, but longitudinally, it tends to move off towards my handle occasionally.
In the ball bounce drill or the pancake drill, that's an immediate out, but in serves, it generally means that my spin varies too much, and occasionally because of where the ball is, I will adjust a little and add in some unwanted sidespin.

Maybe I can go about fixing that before I'm out of serving time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Okay. So if we have a ranking, then these are the current standings.

1. Richie
2. (Boogar if he resubmits video with 30+)
2. Jirrex
3. Shuki
4. (Boogar if he doesn't submit video)
5. Scheme SC

Others are still free to submit videos to get consolation prizes. The competition ends on December 21. Remember, this is more of a Christmas gift competition and I have a ton of used blades that I am no longer interested in keeping as well as rubber I am not going to use.

One contestant said that my opponent in the 11-0 match called out the score loudly and I smiled. Given we play matches without umpires, the contest would have been too hard other than I mentioned the match and the opponent earlier on this thread as well.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. So if we have a ranking, then these are the current standings.

1. Richie
2. (Boogar if he resubmits video with 30+)
2. Jirrex
3. Shuki
4. (Boogar if he doesn't submit video)
5. Scheme SC

Others are still free to submit videos to get consolation prizes. The competition ends on December 21. Remember, this is more of a Christmas gift competition and I have a ton of used blades that I am no longer interested in keeping as well as rubber I am not going to use.

One contestant said that my opponent in the 11-0 match called out the score loudly and I smiled. Given we play matches without umpires, the contest would have been too hard other than I mentioned the match and the opponent earlier on this thread as well.

I resisted giving that hint and that you mentioned who it was who gave you that score. :)

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews

38.... my camera has such a narrow angle. But i think you can see enough :)

Stupid boogar! Perhaps I need to make a deal with NL, like breaking 100 >=]
1!
edit: after an hour straight of trying and not breaking 60, I'm giving up for today on breaking 100. However, don't worry! I'll get there!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Current standings:

1. Richie
2. Boogar
3. Jirrex
4. Shuki
5. Scheme SC

As SchemeSC is not doing the score portion, it is still possible to submit entries and pass him before the 21st if you complete the score portion and submit a video for either pancakes or serves. And yes, I do have a couple of penhold blades...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Oh SSSSSSHHHHHYYYYYYYTTTTTT !!!!

It isn't fair anymoar !!! PPH in hiz custom sleeveless Contrast Jersey !! Bringin' da heat to the penhold doubters !! The game is over, everyone fight for second place.

Goon Squad is runnin' for cover !! Damn great to See PPH on TTD !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Oh SSSSSSHHHHHYYYYYYYTTTTTT !!!!

It isn't fair anymoar !!! PPH in hiz custom sleeveless Contrast Jersey !! Bringin' da heat to the penhold doubters !! The game is over, everyone fight for second place.

Goon Squad is runnin' for cover !! Damn great to See PPH on TTD !

It's the power of Christmas gifts (prizes).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I've been on a tour in Yun Nan, China for 8 days, travelling to Kun Ming, Shangri-La, Li Jiang, and Da Li. All these places are above 1800m sea altitude, where Shangri-La is about 3500m, and Li Jiang about 2500m. The tour company also brought us to Yu Long Snowy Mountain, where we went up to an altitude of 4500m, where I am actually above clouds :D

It was a very interesting experience, because now I understand how hard it is to move in that altitude, let alone exercise or train. It takes a certain amount of time for the body to adapt to such environment, where there is less oxygen in the air. When I was at the snowy mountain (4500m) and Shangri-La (3500m), all movements cost so much energy, even though I was sleeping in Shangri-La Hotel in Shangri-La (super nice hotel), I couldn't fall asleep at night probably due to altitude sickness.

This is the part that I link all the above to TT :p
While I didn't play any TT in China in my tour (as I am travelling with a tour guide and 10 other people), I did walk past a school in Da Li, where students were playing table tennis outdoor. It was probably just a general PE class, as the students didn't look like they had any training before. So I didn't bother walking in and asking for a hit haha.

On a different note, from 8 days inactive on TTD, there are 192 replies in this thread. I think I won't be going through all of it, so apologies if anyone said anything specifically for me LOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Nice !

Attachments

• IMG_3512.jpg
    IMG_3512.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 130
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I've been on a tour in Yun Nan, China for 8 days, travelling to Kun Ming, Shangri-La, Li Jiang, and Da Li. All these places are above 1800m sea altitude, where Shangri-La is about 3500m, and Li Jiang about 2500m. The tour company also brought us to Yu Long Snowy Mountain, where we went up to an altitude of 4500m, where I am actually above clouds :D

It was a very interesting experience, because now I understand how hard it is to move in that altitude, let alone exercise or train. It takes a certain amount of time for the body to adapt to such environment, where there is less oxygen in the air. When I was at the snowy mountain (4500m) and Shangri-La (3500m), all movements cost so much energy, even though I was sleeping in Shangri-La Hotel in Shangri-La (super nice hotel), I couldn't fall asleep at night probably due to altitude sickness.

This is the part that I link all the above to TT :p
While I didn't play any TT in China in my tour (as I am travelling with a tour guide and 10 other people), I did walk past a school in Da Li, where students were playing table tennis outdoor. It was probably just a general PE class, as the students didn't look like they had any training before. So I didn't bother walking in and asking for a hit haha.

On a different note, from 8 days inactive on TTD, there are 192 replies in this thread. I think I won't be going through all of it, so apologies if anyone said anything specifically for me LOL

Very cool :) Time to do some high altitude training and have +100 stamina for the next year!
Id like to travel china as well. Not only because of tt ofc.

On another note... I noticed that the middle finger of my playing hand looks similar to your penhold finger. I think i popped the capsule, but that's an old injury. In addition I have callus on the right side of the finger, right at the joint.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
for that member whom mentioned something about penholders...

With the attempt to switch from Penhold to shakehand without stopping. PPH for the win. Hahahaha.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Club update from 12/18/16:

Who would have thought, when you stop switching equipment, you improve. (note: laced heavily with sarcasm)

I'm continuing to see improvement. Last night I took on two of the better players at club. One of them named Mark, is a borderline 2000 player who I have never even come close to. Took a game off him for the first time and in two of the other three games he won I took those games to deuce. He won 3-1 but I was happy with my performance. Then later vs another player who is far beyond me I had the same thing happen. Lastly I beat a modern defender who can test your patience. I think I had only ever beat him once before out of probably 20 attempts. I can see the improvement happening and it's exciting.

I think the most interesting thing is just finding a style that suits you best. With my current setup, every one of my major weaknesses I can largely bypass or not get into and that is paying huge dividends. I suppose one could approach this one of two ways. One, practice on your weaknesses so you can get better at them. Or two, do what I'm doing, and set up points where those situations largely never come into play. Rather, you only play the style of points you like.

This probably can't work for everybody but with my equipment, it can for me.

Two of my biggest weaknesses:
- short push game.
- Looping backspin.

I have never liked the short push to push game. I think it was more mental than anything but I always felt the pressure to open up first because if we keep this up, chances are I'll mess up first. That line of thinking caused me problems in opening up on what were probably low percentage balls for me.

Back in my inverted days, i can loop backspin. But doing to consistently over & over hitting at a high percentage? No way.

So now I largely never get into these situations thanks to the short/long pip twiddle game.

Short push game. This forces the other player to stay sharp as to what side I'm on. i can twiddle fairly quickly so if we're in a push battle & I twiddle to push with the long pips, if the opponent is slow in reading this and tries to push the next ball, that pops up. Alternatively, if I don't push with the long pips I can simply attack swipe almost any backspin ball, no matter how low it is and it turns into a topspin attack that must have some weird on it as many players tend to miss this ball when looping it. Basically the LP swipe is my open up that is so easy to always hit in where I want it. This also translates into looping, or opening up backspin. Same thing with the long pips.

There are situations where I'll need a little more speed or power. So if the backspin ball is high enough, sure I'll smash that with the short pips and that works. But if it's a good low backspin? Yeah just LP swipe it.

And there you have it. Answers, or ways around or getting out of, the points you don't like.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Club update from 12/18/16:

Who would have thought, when you stop switching equipment, you improve. (note: laced heavily with sarcasm)

I'm continuing to see improvement. Last night I took on two of the better players at club. One of them named Mark, is a borderline 2000 player who I have never even come close to. Took a game off him for the first time and in two of the other three games he won I took those games to deuce. He won 3-1 but I was happy with my performance. Then later vs another player who is far beyond me I had the same thing happen. Lastly I beat a modern defender who can test your patience. I think I had only ever beat him once before out of probably 20 attempts. I can see the improvement happening and it's exciting.

I think the most interesting thing is just finding a style that suits you best. With my current setup, every one of my major weaknesses I can largely bypass or not get into and that is paying huge dividends. I suppose one could approach this one of two ways. One, practice on your weaknesses so you can get better at them. Or two, do what I'm doing, and set up points where those situations largely never come into play. Rather, you only play the style of points you like.

This probably can't work for everybody but with my equipment, it can for me.

Two of my biggest weaknesses:
- short push game.
- Looping backspin.

I have never liked the short push to push game. I think it was more mental than anything but I always felt the pressure to open up first because if we keep this up, chances are I'll mess up first. That line of thinking caused me problems in opening up on what were probably low percentage balls for me.

Back in my inverted days, i can loop backspin. But doing to consistently over & over hitting at a high percentage? No way.

So now I largely never get into these situations thanks to the short/long pip twiddle game.

Short push game. This forces the other player to stay sharp as to what side I'm on. i can twiddle fairly quickly so if we're in a push battle & I twiddle to push with the long pips, if the opponent is slow in reading this and tries to push the next ball, that pops up. Alternatively, if I don't push with the long pips I can simply attack swipe almost any backspin ball, no matter how low it is and it turns into a topspin attack that must have some weird on it as many players tend to miss this ball when looping it. Basically the LP swipe is my open up that is so easy to always hit in where I want it. This also translates into looping, or opening up backspin. Same thing with the long pips.

There are situations where I'll need a little more speed or power. So if the backspin ball is high enough, sure I'll smash that with the short pips and that works. But if it's a good low backspin? Yeah just LP swipe it.

And there you have it. Answers, or ways around or getting out of, the points you don't like.

I like the overall message but a couple of things are important to note.

One advantage of Pips is that they can be used to force a short game, but amongst inverted players, the short game is largely non-existent under USATT 2000 and doesn't last more than one or two shots below USATT 2400.

What you will largely be taking advantage of with your current set up are a couple of things:

1. The ability to play the ball short with strokes that people don't often see or read. For people with no short push or flick games, this will lead to pop up after pop up for the most part, or hitting balls into the net.
2. The ability to play the ball to wide angles - you can play the ball short and make it go towards the sidelines.
3. The inexperience players have with the way your equipment plays and your style works.

What will ultimately determine your level is your ability to block loops short with the long pips and your ability to put away sitting balls with the short pips.

As for attacking backspin, it will depend on how heavy the backspin is. Some backspin is harder to deal with.