Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says what [IMG]
??? why not just serve him topspin instead of launching it straight to his side???

I've only seen players serve straight to their side when doing counterlooping drills...

I felt that I get better quality practice for myself if I do the "extra stroke" instead of serving topspin. I can practice one stroke more vs one topspin serve more.

I'm not sure if he would have an easier time blocking the topspin serve, but I think if he can't block my first stroke, he's not gonna block the second either so I might as well get the extra stroke practice. His block is improving but it's not quite there yet where I can drill seriously.

After I serve topspin, what should my partner do? Block it? Flip it? What advantage does it hold over just a stroke?

Anyway, I'm more concerned about my strokes and movement and not how we start the drill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I felt that I get better quality practice for myself if I do the "extra stroke" instead of serving topspin. I can practice one stroke more vs one topspin serve more.

I'm not sure if he would have an easier time blocking the topspin serve, but I think if he can't block my first stroke, he's not gonna block the second either so I might as well get the extra stroke practice. His block is improving but it's not quite there yet where I can drill seriously.

After I serve topspin, what should my partner do? Block it? Flip it? What advantage does it hold over just a stroke?

Anyway, I'm more concerned about my strokes and movement and not how we start the drill.

Serb topspin. He'll return it more. Right now you're practicing looping a ball that's not traveling toward you.

I don't see any benefit to serving the way you are if you want him to just be blocking.

Edit: you asked what your partner should do to the topspin serve. Depends what you guys decide. Blocking is easiest. But I also don't know what kind of ball you're hoping to get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Serb topspin. He'll return it more. Right now you're practicing looping a ball that's not traveling toward you.

I don't see any benefit to serving the way you are if you want him to just be blocking.

Edit: you asked what your partner should do to the topspin serve. Depends what you guys decide. Blocking is easiest. But I also don't know what kind of ball you're hoping to get back.
This drill is for me. If we train his block specifically, I feed him much lighter spin.

However your point about the moving ball makes a lot of sense. One moving ball that comes back reliably makes more sense to loop for practice than from the hand. I will serve him some topspin tomorrow and see what kind of returns I get if he blocks it.

The quality of my shot is far superior to the one I produce when I need to move even a bit, so a moving, somewhat inconsistent ball makes sense to practice on. I get what you mean, now.

In terms of movement, I think you can see that my left-right movement is really lousy. Any idea how to improve that? Really focus on moving the legs first and not leaning into it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
If the practice is for you, all the more reason to serve normally first. His block will improve more which will give you more practice in what you want. Have you ever played a beginner who serves to you without bouncing the ball on their side first? It's extremely difficult to react to that.

Your strokes look awesome for a self taught player, keep up the good work.

If you are feeding him don't go easy on the spin, he'll adjust to the heavier topspin if he feels it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Archosaurus
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello DTT CCers!

Please forgive my absence last week, month-end/month-start is the busiest time of the month for me.

I know I'm not 100% healed from shoulder/rotator cuff achiness... feel it's 80-90% ... miss TT so much! gained some of the weight back that i've worked hard to lose :(

will try to play next week after i dk, 3 or 4 months absence ?!?!?!?

Will play catchup on this thread and get to my "serial liking" ways!

says what [IMG]
If the practice is for you, all the more reason to serve normally first. His block will improve more which will give you more practice in what you want. Have you ever played a beginner who serves to you without bouncing the ball on their side first? It's extremely difficult to react to that.

Your strokes look awesome for a self taught player, keep up the good work.

Makes sense. It's also a more game-like drill, which is a plus. And the level of topspin/speed of the ball can be varied easier and we can even transition from blocking close to the table to a bit off the table. Good advice. I'll try it next time.

Thanks. I think having even the little bit of whip I had on some "real" shots on a moving ball is my biggest achievement. Even if my movement is lousy and there's no real energy going into the ball.

Close to the table, all of that goes away, though. Just gonna need to work on it...

EDIT:

I analyzed the footage more. I think I get what Carl means when he says "tracking the ball with the feet".

When I move in for a ball towards the forehand, I lean in and my shoulders turn. I get my bat closer to the ball. However my legs lag behind, and don't get any closer to the ball by the time my backswing is done. I confirmed that this is definitely not right by watching footage of people who actually know footwork.

I figured this out on my own, but I really needed a good bit of video to know what exactly I do on what kind of balls. I need to move my legs WAY sooner. Twice the speed, or thrice.

I've managed to make my body rotation timing just a little small bit better on some forehand shots, so I believe I can make my footwork timing just a little bit better as well. I mean, any faster leg timing will be a marked improvement. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Hey guys.

Drilled for maybe 1.5h or so today. Just forehand vs block, and some short serve return -> rally at the end.

I took more video than this, but they were more-so tests to see what I'm even doing. This is my attempt after adjusting.

Low spin, low speed, so my partner can work on his consistency. I am slightly inconsistent myself as well: I'd like to really narrow down my lateral deviation.

This is a 1 - 2 drill, so one in the backhand center, one in the forehand center with the hitter hitting to the middle. At least, that's what we attempted. :rolleyes:

My observations are that of course I am very high and stiff, which is partly because I don't want a lot of spin and I don't want to complicate things. However I could stay on my toes better, and I lean and bob around quite a bit. That could be partly because of my height: I will try match-height next time now that I feel a bit more coordinated.

says what [IMG]
+1 , its only 9 minutes long but it bigger than "Logan" , at least in table tennis daily
After over an hour straight of the same stuff, you're not too inclined to film a half-hour video. :rolleyes: I was going to film more, but my PARTNER was getting tired, hahaha.

Reactions: ttmonster
says what [IMG]
woah, serving on your side before his helped quite a bit! who would have thought ;P
Yeah, it seems so. Thanks for the advice: I'll do it like this from now on.

Although the spin level is much, much, much lower so I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with that as well.

says what [IMG]
You remind me of a guy who wanted to learn to loop on MYTT. His mother was blocking for him, though the camera never showed her. TT is an amazing sport.
What if his mother was a national level player and he just didn't want to let you guys know?

TT attracts all of the weirdos. Definitely.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The level of blocking you have , you cannot practice spin , you'll have to only practice footwork . this is where the quality of blocking comes into the picture. You have to accept that no matter how much you try to train your partners , your progress will be stunted because of the lack of quality you have on the other end.
Yeah, it seems so. Thanks for the advice: I'll do it like this from now on.

Although the spin level is much, much, much lower so I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with that as well.

says what [IMG]
The level of blocking you have , you cannot practice spin , you'll have to only practice footwork . this is where the quality of blocking comes into the picture. You have to accept that no matter how much you try to train your partners , your progress will be stunted because of the lack of quality you have on the other end.
Yes, I understand. I try my best to improve them, but there's a good limit.

What I can do however is to try to maximize my own spin and speed, and strive to play a more proper game. The quality of my serve or how well I do basic footwork has little to do with my opponent, I think. Although I'd have to wager that what happens after the serve or why I move, how fast, how exactly and where has a lot to do with my opponent as well.