Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Even if you do, you would only be able to practice third balls , even those on not great quality pushes .

the problem with this is that your strokes will become bigger and you won't be able to recover in time when you face players that can actually block those balls back

Yes, I understand. I try my best to improve them, but there's a good limit.

What I can do however is to try to maximize my own spin and speed, and strive to play a more proper game. The quality of my serve or how well I do basic footwork has little to do with my opponent, I think. Although I'd have to wager that what happens after the serve or why I move, how fast, how exactly and where has a lot to do with my opponent as well.

says what [IMG]
@ttmonster

That is why I'm concentrating on rallying skills like recovery and spin over speed. 3rd ball against the kind of trash pushes I get from my serves isn't practice at all.

@NextLevel

Did I hit a milestone or something? To me this is just an average training day, although I did make a lot of progress today!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
LOL , I was just saying he needs to find a decent club/coach ...
@ttmonster

That is why I'm concentrating on rallying skills like recovery and spin over speed. 3rd ball against the kind of trash pushes I get from my serves isn't practice at all.

@NextLevel

Did I hit a milestone or something? To me this is just an average training day, although I did make a lot of progress today!

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@ttmonster

@NextLevel

You have a long way to go but at least, watching you loop no longer sends me to the bathroom. :p

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says what [IMG]
You have a long way to go but at least, watching you loop no longer sends me to the bathroom. :p
Well, that's one way to put it, I guess.

For well over half a year, I knew "something" was terribly off with my forehand. So I had a pretty similar reaction, honestly. :rolleyes:

Now I can pretend I know what I'm doing. I just need to never show anyone my backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Already showed your backhand Archo, I saw you trying to get the ball back with your backhand when the block was not where you expected , but I chose to not say anything :)
Well, that's one way to put it, I guess.

For well over half a year, I knew "something" was terribly off with my forehand. So I had a pretty similar reaction, honestly. :rolleyes:

Now I can pretend I know what I'm doing. I just need to never show anyone my backhand.

Reactions: NextLevel
says what [IMG]
Already showed your backhand Archo, I saw you trying to get the ball back with your backhand when the block was not where you expected , but I chose to not say anything :)
I can spin up balls somewhat, but my basics are really lacking. There's no power and very little spin at that, too. I know I'm really missing something, but that's okay. I haven't taken a good look at my backhand nor have I really practiced it. Maybe it's time, now.

I can block and push pretty well, but my "emergency" backhand against weird balls or very fast balls that I'm not expecting isn't based on anything, so you get, well, what you saw. :rolleyes:

If I can find a good angle to actually film it from tomorrow, I might do some backhand to backhand driving or maybe even "loop".

This user has no status.
you're being harsh with Archo. He's trying.

@Archo. Frankly i think you're wasting your time practising. You should try to get a part-time job, save $$$$ and go 1 month in China in a training camp. You'll get better with this than in 1 or 2 years with this kind of training. You're very young and it would be a nice life experience as well

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Yday at the club training.

My usual training buddy wasn't there. As soon as I arrived, a veteran called me to play a game. I wasn't warmed up at all, and he won 3-2 (again...). I was not at all in the tempo and moving very badly. It didn't help that he plays with pimples and is left handed. It is a bit awkward to play with him as he is still trying to move a lot for his age (over 70 ?) and he is panting like crazy, i can almost hear his heart beating. I'm really afraid that he would collapse from a heart attack, i think i should not play with him again, i don't want to feel responsible if anything bad happens, and I'm not joking.

After that, a friend of a lower level came, i just let her practice 1 hour, blocking and coaching her a bit, there was still some time left, but i didn't feel like i was ready to play games with the junior players this time, without a proper knock before, they would have probably beaten me hard so i went home a bit earlier than usual. So, contrarily to recent sessions, a rather poor session for me.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Phone rings...

Der_Echte here...

Her Der_Echte, you plan on going to the Chinese TT Club tonite?

No George, I do not plan on that tonite.

Why? Der_Echte, you are not going tonite??

No George, I am already here. You should tryout Carl's NSA iSpy Phone... it knows where I am.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Just when some things were starting to come together with my game, my knee starts bothering me. Doh! I'm missing a PCL in my right knee, so I have to keep my weight down and my quad muscle strong in order to play TT comfortably. Fat and weak = knee instability.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I've made three big improvements in my game over the past month:

1. I realized that I was not reaching the end of my backswing on the FH with enough momentum. I was "feeling" for the end of the backswing, rather than using my core to throw the arm behind me. Now that I'm taking a better backswing, the foreward part of the swing feels more effortless.

2. I'm actually bending my knees after the serve and it's starting to become a habit. This has helped tremendously, especially when I serve backspin.

3. I am attacking long, slow serves to the middle with a forehand now instead of a backhand.

I've been spending a lot of time playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild, too. I'm 33 years old. Don't regret it one bit.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
@Takkyu_wa_inochi

This is the funniest thing I've seen all morning, and probably all day. Great job.

As tempting as that sounds (Or not, thinking about the sheer PT I'd go through :rolleyes:), I just can't do something like that. Due to personal reasons. Like I said, you will see. Some day I will attend a real training facility, though. It's just a shame I can't do it now when I'm still quite young. Or at least, it'd be very un-wise.

However I can tell you that you're not going to see any more video from this kind of playing environment in half a year. Possibly no more video for quite some time after that. It might be a surprise when I do actually film something. ;)

@NextLevel

Although my method is very jugaad indeed, the real improvement started when I got more "formal" advice and direction. I don't consider myself self-taught.

@SchemeSC

I was just thinking yesterday that "Wow, my form feels pretty good. I might just not get injured for some time!" and now every other TTD member's knee is giving up.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@Takkyu_wa_inochi

This is the funniest thing I've seen all morning, and probably all day. Great job.

As tempting as that sounds (Or not, thinking about the sheer PT I'd go through :rolleyes:), I just can't do something like that. Due to personal reasons. Like I said, you will see. Some day I will attend a real training facility, though. It's just a shame I can't do it now when I'm still quite young. Or at least, it'd be very un-wise.

However I can tell you that you're not going to see any more video from this kind of playing environment in half a year. Possibly no more video for quite some time after that. It might be a surprise when I do actually film something. ;)

@NextLevel

Although my method is very jugaad indeed, the real improvement started when I got more "formal" advice and direction. I don't consider myself self-taught.

@SchemeSC

I was just thinking yesterday that "Wow, my form feels pretty good. I might just not get injured for some time!" and now every other TTD member's knee is giving up.

It's a myth that good form necessarily prevents injury. All athletics puts serious wear and tear on the body, and it is up to you to listen to your body and figure out ways of reducing pain and wear send tear. Personal style and care can alleviate the wear and tear, but people should not pretend that physical activity can be the same as taking a walk in the park. Otherwise, people like ZJK would never get injured and athletes like Kobe would never break down.

Last edited: