Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
okay sounds good. I will see what i can do and try to get some video here. I probably could first post some technique practice vs robot then club matches, etc. I think that'll help. Appreciate the help. Always wanting to refine & get better.

Sounds good. By the way, whip is not just about large racket head speed when it gets really advanced, but also about maximum racket head speed over short distances to control the ball, including decelerate it. Sometimes, people wonder why they sometimes notice the racket going back and forth on pushes and blocks and it's part of advanced technique sometime on smaller strokes. Here is some video of Andrej Gacina about to play Kai Zhang. Notice what his racket does when he is blocking Kai Zhang's loops at around 0:48 in. When you understand whip, you see advanced table tennis in a completely different light.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OldschoolPenholder,

I'm curious if when playing your defensive partner if you've tried, or had any success, vs him resetting when he's presumably off the table chopping.

My training partner claims to have been doing this for years that he likes and in practice, I think I can see what he's talking about. It seems to be a topic IMO that isn't addressed much.

So I assume he's pushing & off the table chopping you a lot. The main point is to vary the spin when you push back to him or reset. Say he has chopped a couple of times now and the spin is really building up. When you push, you can jab at it underneath the ball giving super heavy backspin. Or, merely get under the ball and kinda lift it. Think of it as the same as fishing but not off the table. Rather, over the table. It seems this ball can be significantly less backspin. Your goal should be to make it relatively deadish. If the opponent doesn't read this correctly, on their next chop, they could pop it up. At the same time, you have to be careful. If they're the type of modern defender who will, and can, attack well, they might try to run in and loop that ball. I suppose if you can keep your lift short & low, your odds are pretty good.

It's something I still need to practice at and don't get into all that often since I mainly LP swipe vs chops but I wonder if anybody else has used this to their advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OldschoolPenholder,

I'm curious if when playing your defensive partner if you've tried, or had any success, vs him resetting when he's presumably off the table chopping.

My partner claims to have been doing this for years that he likes and in practice, I think I can see what he's talking about. It seems to be a topic IMO that isn't addressed much.

So I assume he's pushing & off the table chopping you a lot. The main point is to vary the spin when you push back to him or reset. Say he has chopped a couple of times now and the spin is really building up. When you push, you can jab at it underneath the ball giving super heavy backspin. Or, merely get under the ball and kinda lift it. Think of it as the same as fishing but not off the table. Rather, over the table. It seems this ball can be significantly less backspin. Your goal should be to make it relatively deadish. If the opponent doesn't read this correctly, on their next chop, they could pop it up. At the same time, you have to be careful. If they're the type of modern defender who will, and can, attack well, they might try to run in and loop that ball. I suppose if you can keep your lift short & low, your odds are pretty good.

It's something I still need to practice at and don't get into all that often since I mainly LP swipe vs chops but I wonder if anybody else has used this to their advantage.

Thank you suds, I'll keep that in mind ... if truth be known, i usually don't get into long pushing rallies ... looking to attack by 5th/6th ball at the latest ... and of course i am inconsistent still so i lose many points as i rush to attack to break out of the pushing mindset

however, i neglected to post that he does not chop, he will just play steady and return the ball ... he may push and lob but he fears my FH smashes ... so he moves me side to side and just plays steady ... he knows my story of coming back from a 30+ yrs break ... he knows i still lack consistency... so he just returns the ball and wins many points on my misses lol

many of my punches down-the-line miss but he knows i caught him out of position if i made the punch

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I just realized by your description under your pic you use LPs OX. Do you use those on the RPB side only I take it? Ever chop with them? Chop-block? Soft counter drive? (yes that's an option too) Does any of that give him problems?

I am kinda working with NL (he seems to be willing to help me) refine & improve my inverted game after a long stint with SP on the FH but I feel pretty comfortable with most things LPs and feel like I have some tricks up my sleeve that can help in matches.

How does he handle the LPs? Have you tested him?

I kinda have the mentality that if I find someone who struggles with LPs, I use them more. For example Mark (featured in my video above) who is just over 2000 USATT struggles with it. I took a game off him, which made me happy, last time we played.

However other people I'll play don't struggle with it at all. So i'll just play more just traditional penhold vs them. That's the beauty of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I just realized by your description under your pic you use LPs OX. Do you use those on the RPB side only I take it? Ever chop with them? Chop-block? Soft counter drive? (yes that's an option too) Does any of that give him problems?

I've not embraced the LP yet ... i use it to comply with the alternate colors and to add a little weight to the very light Nexy Amazon ... Was fortunate to be hooked up with the Nexy Amazon by Der_Echte, but blade was TOO light. i'm trying to get some consistency of my oldschool game of single-sided PH play before i start with experimenting with modern PH with RPB loop with 2 inverted sides, or serve with inverted and twiddle to SP, or twiddle with inverted serve and LP OX play ... for now, i've not considered seriously LP with SP twiddling style.

I did try briefly before the modern PH setup with various rubbers but found the weight of 2 inverted too heavy for my wrist used to playing oldschool PH with a single sheet ... i'm fearing carpal tunnel syndrome and didn't want to commit to 2 inverted anytime soon. NL suggested i try the inverted serve/attack with SP twiddling game .... i tried it and still felt it too heavy as well as not used to the SP strokes despite learning the game as an oldschool PH SP ~40 yrs or so ago ... at some point i may go Jiang Jialiang/He Zhiwen and play truly oldschool PH with the SP lol

I am kinda working with NL (he seems to be willing to help me)

NL is willing to help anyone who is looking to improve ;-) Post here more with videos, not only NL but the regular CCers will chime in to help!

How does he handle the LPs? Have you tested him?

Last night, on one point i LP'd him for a winner ... i suspect the LP will give him a challenge but for now, not looking to win vs him as opposed to looking to play well against him with my oldschool PH style

I kinda have the mentality that if I find someone who struggles with LPs, I use them more. For example Mark (featured in my video above) who is just over 2000 USATT struggles with it. I took a game off him, which made me happy, last time we played.

However other people I'll play don't struggle with it at all. So i'll just play more just traditional penhold vs them. That's the beauty of it.

Yeah, i hear ya - i like the tactical diversity it will add to my game once i've gotten the basics down, but my focus is to get to a consistent level with my single-sided PH inverted game first. But am definitely interested in playing with the LP in the future. That's why i was a little sad when you posted that you would go to SH as you were one of my inspirations for the twiddling game!

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Question about when to use the different type of loops.

For a while now, I've known about and been a big proponent of the soft loop. For me, I always just classified it as a power loop and soft loop. This video talks about an between stage.

I like to use the soft loop on serves off the table. Say vs backspin or some variant of side. My training partner is pretty skilled at pretty much power looping almost any serve off the table. That's something I don't really have. I don't really feel comfortable using a power loop vs someone's serve. Say pure back or side/back.

That aside, what about during the rally of a point? Topspin to topspin.

I don't really either know how to execute a soft loop in that situation. I figure sometimes the change of pace and/or trajectory could be good. But how do you do it?

Is it a height of the ball judgment rather? instead of vs topspin or vs backspin? Say if the ball is above the table, you should generally power loop it all the time and if the ball is say net height or lower you should soft loop it for safety?

What do you guys do? Thanks.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Over thinking loop classification can drive you crazy but FWIW, I will share my own view...

The first thing is that these loops are all about ball quality and about producing a certain kind of ball. IMO, some people like to teach every stroke as if it requires a separate technique. To me, all loops are the same with adjustments. The adjustments tend to be based on the incoming ball and the kind of outgoing ball you want to produce. The adjustments are based on things like contact point, starting position, finishing position, speed of swing and thickness/thinness of contact, size of the stroke/whip, degree of curve in the stroke and the degree to which the racket face is offered to the ball. With that, all strokes should have whip.

When you have your whippy swing, then you can adjust it using the above to control different kinds of incoming balls and hit different kinds of outgoing balls. But consistency should be the focus in matches. In practice, understanding and acquiring variety should be the focus in addition to consistency - consistency to make the mechanics embedded in muscle memory and acquiring variety so you can spontaneously make the ball do what you want very quickly. Too many people hit the ball one way in practice and put the ball on the table all the time, it doesn't let you understand your stroke and what it does to the ball. IT doesn't let you know how to increase the consistency or even the arc or how to be more conservative or more directly aggressive or doesn't let you see how your stroke can be improved under pressure or how to adjust to spins you have not played against yet.

MY approach to looping is based on feeling I am controlling the ball, its more important than thinking you are just hitting the ball past people. I always try to compare the ball I produce to the ball I intended to produce. It's the only way to develop a good stroke discipline. Putting the ball on the table 100 times is VERY important, but doing so without understanding what changes when you change will hurt you in matches as you need to adapt to balls you have never seen before.

For me, there is the 50-80% loop - this is the loop you should be trying to make as good as possible, it is the loop around which you can build your footwork etc. You can hit it for spin or speed but it will look mostly the same. Loop kills and power loops should be separate specific swings. But you should always feel when doing your basic loop like you have the time to discuss politics or even converse with the mayor.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
20170327_185741.jpg
Left: Nexy Amazon CPen
Right: American Hinoki with 2 Tenergy sheets

Received from NextLevel a contest prize/Christmas present - American Hinoki CPen with iirc Tenergy on both sides. Finally had a chance to hit a little with it last night. Phone died out when I tried to take another pic of the American Hinoki placed on top of the Nexy Amazon. Was surprised at how small the American Hinoki is. Don't have dimensions but am used to CPen blades about the size of the Nexy Amazon and a little bigger. Will take another pic tonight. The pic will show the noticeable size difference.

I didn't sand the wings so it cut into my index finger a little. NextLevel informed me that his friend previously used this CPen blade for his SH play! Guessing his friend was pretty high level to play with a smaller blade.

There were too many variables at play for me to isolate for a proper feedback/quick review ... primary is that I was coming off an injury layoff of 3-5 months so I was just looking to hit but timing was off. I will hit with this blade more next week.

One aspect I am kind of getting used to since my 'comeback' after 30+ yrs layoff ... the sound that rackets and or rubber on blades make ... i used to use a 7 ply Double Happiness "08" blade from the 1980's ... different era/technology... did not hear the 'pok pok' sounds that the 'new' blades/rubbers make now.

Not sure if it's in my head already of how small the blade is compared to my comfort level ... thinking i have to have precise hand-eye coordination and precise strokes (which i don't have lol)

I will have fun trying this out ... for the wood as well as the rubber and the smaller size of the blade.

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN TO NEXT LEVEL!

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Over thinking loop classification can drive you crazy but FWIW, I will share my own view...

The first thing is that these loops are all about ball quality and about producing a certain kind of ball. IMO, some people like to teach every stroke as if it requires a separate technique. To me, all loops are the same with adjustments. The adjustments tend to be based on the incoming ball and the kind of outgoing ball you want to produce. The adjustments are based on things like contact point, starting position, finishing position, speed of swing and thickness/thinness of contact, size of the stroke/whip, degree of curve in the stroke and the degree to which the racket face is offered to the ball. With that, all strokes should have whip.

When you have your whippy swing, then you can adjust it using the above to control different kinds of incoming balls and hit different kinds of outgoing balls. But consistency should be the focus in matches. In practice, understanding and acquiring variety should be the focus in addition to consistency - consistency to make the mechanics embedded in muscle memory and acquiring variety so you can spontaneously make the ball do what you want very quickly. Too many people hit the ball one way in practice and put the ball on the table all the time, it doesn't let you understand your stroke and what it does to the ball. IT doesn't let you know how to increase the consistency or even the arc or how to be more conservative or more directly aggressive or doesn't let you see how your stroke can be improved under pressure or how to adjust to spins you have not played against yet.

MY approach to looping is based on feeling I am controlling the ball, its more important than thinking you are just hitting the ball past people. I always try to compare the ball I produce to the ball I intended to produce. It's the only way to develop a good stroke discipline. Putting the ball on the table 100 times is VERY important, but doing so without understanding what changes when you change will hurt you in matches as you need to adapt to balls you have never seen before.

For me, there is the 50-80% loop - this is the loop you should be trying to make as good as possible, it is the loop around which you can build your footwork etc. You can hit it for spin or speed but it will look mostly the same. Loop kills and power loops should be separate specific swings. But you should always feel when doing your basic loop like you have the time to discuss politics or even converse with the mayor.

I would be interested to hear Next Level's description of what Der_Echte holds important in a shot or loop or block or whatever shot. Could get juicy. One hint is NL's analysis of the shot... did I produce the shot I was trying with good or acceptable quality.

says what [IMG]
Didn't really do much anything today, left early. My left thigh is acting up and I don't feel like putting weight on it, so why train the bad habits.

I think tomorrow I will just do some shadow footwork and film it. I have somewhat of an idea of what I want kind of movement I want: I've just never done it. Then I will see if I can link it together with an easy block drill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSPH, interesting idea about needing more precision. Does the sweetspot of a blade change linearly or non-linearly, or much at all, when the blade face changes size and shape?

that is a question for members smarter than me as well as say engineers

wouldn't happen to know any engineer-minded members would you? ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
regarding timos draw luck probably in the second round again :D Dont know if doubles without zjk is a sign for him to play singles :rolleyes:

Reactions: Suga D
says what [IMG]
@NextLevel

Mind if I borrow some of that lost backhand once you find it? :eek:

I have a bad habit of changing my angle from nearly open to more closed on my backhand, and it doesn't always feel like I'm doing it so much. It produces a flatter hit and it's not what I want, so I want to get rid of it.

I do this to some extent on my forehand, except the angle goes from closed to more open. The end result is still a flatter hit than I am thinking of, and the still frames don't lie.