Chinese academy in Europe?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I just read this article on TableTennista.com:

A Chinese table tennis academy in Europe?
Romina Concha Nov. 8, 2011, 1:24 p.m.

WSA_1135.JPG

Photo by: Donn OLSON, WSA, courtesy ITTF

During the World Team Cup in Magdeburg, a Chinese delegation led by Cai Zhenhua, Chinese Vice Minister of Sports, visited the German city and talked about their interests of building a table tennis academy in Europe. The reason of this surprising announcement is because they think they haven't shared their knowledge about the sport with the world.

During his stay in Germany, Vice Minister of Chinese Sport Department said that clearly, it isn't good that his country wins all the important international titles, so it's their responsability that the world knows about the secrets of their success.

Adham Sharara, ITTF president, seemed surprised by the announcement. He remarked that China Federation had talked to him about building an academy in China but not in Europe. He added that any initiative is welcome but he thinks that an European country can beat China or Asian teams again, only if the goal of that federation is to become the number one in the world.

Dirk Schimmelpfennig, Sport Director of German Federation, commented that they are very interested in having the academy in Germany but Austria is also an option.

The idea of China isn't only to have Chinese trainers in the academy but also top Chinese players. Chinese government will invest an important quantity of money if the project materializes.

So what do u guys think? Will this happen? I was very suprised when I read it.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Wow thanks for the thread WiWa.

This will be so good for the sport if China and the ITTF decide to do this! Bringing China and the rest of the world together will really produce a more variety of world class players. This should in the long run make TT better for TV, bring in more money (advertisment) and in the long run make the sport bigger! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
This could be the starting of a new age, but still, they wont produce top "chinese-like" quality players, since there arent many people in Europe as in China, and also, there wont be as many people willing to train to achieve greatness as in China, since its not the national sport. Still, its a good start :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
No problem Dan :)

This could be the starting of a new age, but still, they wont produce top "chinese-like" quality players, since there arent many people in Europe as in China, and also, there wont be as many people willing to train to achieve greatness as in China, since its not the national sport. Still, its a good start :D

"The idea of China isn't only to have Chinese trainers in the academy but also top Chinese players."

At least the top players that we have will have good competition to practise against ;) Also this might mean that some of the Chinese top players will come to play in European Leagues. Maybe this is financially interesting for them but I'm not sure. I'm really curious if this is gonna happen in the end! It might make European Leagues more spectacular, when the ETTCL isn't dominated by Borussia anymore.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
The Chinese had landed. In fact the Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao, who is seen as the most pro-Europe leader in the Chinese Politburo, has voiced China's willingness to prop up the region's struggling economies, pledging to buy an unspecified amount of Greek government bonds during a visit to the debt-ridden country last October. He also expected to declare support for Europe's currency during a five-day visit to the continent.

TT is a common ground for them and the rest of Europe to mingle and share. Which is all good. Believe it or not, their economy is 33x stronger than the US currently!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
This will be great!
The idea itself is great!
It was much better in 1999, 2000 .. when top chinese players as Ma Lin, Wang Liqin, Ma Wenge were playing in european leagues..
Even Eurosport tv streamed it that times!
If this will happen, maybe TT will be in TV again!

Finally China spotted, that it is in fact really boring to see a Team competition, where you from the beginning know, who will win it.
They would win team competition even without their top 3 players. And that is pretty much domination..
What is their goal when they are this good? Are they even happy when they win? Does it mean anything for them?
It wouldnt mean much for me in their place..

So this will make TT more competitive, that sounds pretty cool to me! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is too bad that the US government is not interested in Table Tennis. That is why they put no money at all into it and why the top players in this country are not even on the charts in terms of world ranking. But that will be great if China does open a training center in Europe.

Mar 2011
This will be great!
The idea itself is great!
It was much better in 1999, 2000 .. when top chinese players as Ma Lin, Wang Liqin, Ma Wenge were playing in european leagues..
Even Eurosport tv streamed it that times!
If this will happen, maybe TT will be in TV again!

Finally China spotted, that it is in fact really boring to see a Team competition, where you from the beginning know, who will win it.
They would win team competition even without their top 3 players. And that is pretty much domination..
What is their goal when they are this good? Are they even happy when they win? Does it mean anything for them?
It wouldnt mean much for me in their place..

So this will make TT more competitive, that sounds pretty cool to me! :)

I agree what Michal_Z is saying. What do the Chinese get out of this? It's about sharing, that's all. The Pakistani government was willing to send coaches to China to train the Chinese cricket coaches in China, and setting up their league, for free..

What the Chinese are doing is the same too, though it may not be free, it's definitely a start. I just think with the sports being more accessible, we will b be able to raise the level of TT world wide. Now, instead of sending youngsters, or even players like us to China, the western world will have their own cntttc in their own back yard. Grooming youngsters to be as good as the Chinese now, will only drive the Chinese themselves to a higher plateau.

Who knows, maybe in the future if this idea is such a success, they will even do one in the US. I just think that this a sport, it is suppose to bring the world together, just like we are doing now. And since we are bringing the world closer together, why not we play TT as a way to do so. It's all good.....

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I agree what Michal_Z is saying. What do the Chinese get out of this? It's about sharing, that's all. The Pakistani government was willing to send coaches to China to train the Chinese cricket coaches in China, and setting up their league, for free..

What the Chinese are doing is the same too, though it may not be free, it's definitely a start. I just think with the sports being more accessible, we will b be able to raise the level of TT world wide. Now, instead of sending youngsters, or even players like us to China, the western world will have their own cntttc in their own back yard. Grooming youngsters to be as good as the Chinese now, will only drive the Chinese themselves to a higher plateau.

Who knows, maybe in the future if this idea is such a success, they will even do one in the US. I just think that this a sport, it is suppose to bring the world together, just like we are doing now. And since we are bringing the world closer together, why not we play TT as a way to do so. It's all good.....

Wow awesome Azlan and Michal! Lets hope this training centre pulls off, what you guys are saying is so true. Linking the world together with sport is vital anyways with the current situation n all.

The reason why so many countries are good at football is not just because so many play the sport in each country but there is a universal link where players mix with one another. They all learn from each other, thus in the long run younger players pick up on their skills and so on.

You never know, Chinese players may learn a thing or two from European players to. Just an idea...

Also, this may bring the Chinese equipment into the European market taking on Tenergy as there is not much competition.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Mar 2011
Dan, that is so true! The Chinese may even be able to learn a thing or two from the Europeans. Can you imagine in the future, the Chinese pros will be able to be interviewed in English, German, Italian and French??!! Coaches teaching TT to the youngsters in local language?? Beautiful... And instead of respecting each other as TT players, TT players from all over the world will learn to respect each other as human being. And we just hope the rest of the world will catch on.

And the example that you gave with football is spot on Dan. More European players are playing with South American flair & fluidity, and more South American teams are playing with European team work and strategy. Again, it's all good.

More equipment from China flooding into the European markets, and a whole lot cheaper. This have to be good!! hehehe. I remember seeing the exact DHS rubber that WLQ was using selling at US$500! (his name was printed at the back of the sponge, a 44 degrees rubber!)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Dan, that is so true! The Chinese may even be able to learn a thing or two from the Europeans. Can you imagine in the future, the Chinese pros will be able to be interviewed in English, German, Italian and French??!! Coaches teaching TT to the youngsters in local language?? Beautiful... And instead of respecting each other as TT players, TT players from all over the world will learn to respect each other as human being. And we just hope the rest of the world will catch on.

And the example that you gave with football is spot on Dan. More European players are playing with South American flair & fluidity, and more South American teams are playing with European team work and strategy. Again, it's all good.

More equipment from China flooding into the European markets, and a whole lot cheaper. This have to be good!! hehehe. I remember seeing the exact DHS rubber that WLQ was using selling at US$500! (his name was printed at the back of the sponge, a 44 degrees rubber!)

Jesus! $500 thats astronomical! Yeah they could even make a DHS factory in Europe. Im sure they would make a hell of a profit. Azlan they should put me and you on the ITTF board. Hehe only joking but yeah thats awesome if they can get their equipment over here! :).

Interesting you say how South Amercans are now picking up on not just flair but strategy to due to the European way of play and the fact they are 'interacting'. This is what would happen with the Europeans. A lot of them have flair but not the strategy and super fast skills that the Chinese have.

A fine example of this is Englands Paul Drinkhall. Due to his Chinese coach and the fact he went to China loads when he was younger he has adopted both the European way as well as the Chinese way of play. Paul a very powerful guy with extreme touch and 3rd ball attack with the ability to go back from the table and have the 'European Flair'.

Where as when we watch Ma Long its all about getting the opponent of guard and on the defensive within seconds with extreme 3rd ball domination!

So I think table tennis as a whole would definately improve if the Chinese do venture oversea's. Exciting!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
@ Carl - Why would any government help a population of 8000 domestic competitors to play a sport for the Olympic Gold in mind? When you look at any other sport in the Olympics Table Tennis is definitely at the bottom as far as selection and chances of winning. If we really want to get a facility up and running the first and foremost thing to do is grow the sport. And to do that you have to get into the High Schools and Colleges to teach the sport correctly and also get them to get students involved in it. If clubs would just stop the whole mentality of only playing with same level players then we could grow it to a point where our rating system would actually mean something in international standards.

Mar 2011
DAN : Jesus! $500 thats astronomical! Yeah they could even make a DHS factory in Europe. Im sure they would make a hell of a profit. Azlan they should put me and you on the ITTF board. Hehe only joking but yeah thats awesome if they can get their equipment over here! .

Dude, why would you want to be on the ITTF board? There's no money there...hehehe. We should be on DHS Europe board of directors!! Money and free access to ALL equipment, plus getting involve in designing new rubbers and blades. SSWWEEEEETTTT!!!

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Screw Europe, put it in New ZEALAND!! WE will be next World Number 1s haha jokes...

More to the point I think it's a great idea and very diplomatic of China to do what they are planning to do. I don't know why it would be in Austria, WSA is already there. If China are going to invest they can build a new training centre, then Europe will have 2 world class training venues in WSA and the new Chinese Training Centre.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
The WSA Lacks Chinese coaches and resources. The best way to learn how to beat the Chinese is to be practicing what they're doing while practicing with them as well. The WSA would need just as much help as any other Country, but for it to have a facility already in place would greatly improve the success of the program. Right now it's all about getting capital to build the facility. As for coaching and resources China can provide enough for any country in Europe. Even if it were China's provincial teams it would be better than anything Europe has going atm.