Count me out as a ZJK fan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Well I dont like one thing..
Someone here said - what big title Ma Long won?
Well.. he had bad luck against Wang Hao in the worlds.. but how could he win this World cup?
And now Zhang will even win Olympics .. That Ma Long should win..
When had Zhang beat Long?

I cant remember..

Anyways, I hope, in the next tournament will Zhang and Long meet.. and there will he see..

This user has no status.
I am working full time as a t coach,check out my website its on the side bar,, we are opening a table tennis cafe in sunderland next week,so you can bet your bottom dollar ill be taking new people to my club...and cafe...hopefully .,,,,
They can with work Harry. Especially if you get this Chinese coaching program in place. Personally as long as the kids have the drive no one can stop them in my opinion. Look at Adrien Mattenet. He's made it the quarter finals upsetting huge players and that's all from his personal drive and the French TT program which is rather small in comparison to other players. He's had russian coaches which has helped, but imagine if you gave a kid like that a Chinese coach, chinese practice partners, and Chinese insight on training and work ethic. That kid would be unstoppable at the next olympics.

It's all about getting the growth and income to have better coaches and facilities to train better athletes. In all seriousness I hope that all of you really consider just bringing an extra person to your club the next time you go because if you can spread that fever around you'll have growth that you won't be able to stop. You'll have so much growth you'll have to find more days to play and more tables to play on. You'll have so much growth that some big time companies would be willing to sponsor events and really help out Europe's economy. I can't wait for the day with TT is so big that Football will be second in growth and popularity. Imagine that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Well I dont like one thing..
Someone here said - what big title Ma Long won?
Well.. he had bad luck against Wang Hao in the worlds.. but how could he win this World cup?
And now Zhang will even win Olympics .. That Ma Long should win..
When had Zhang beat Long?

I cant remember..

Anyways, I hope, in the next tournament will Zhang and Long meet.. and there will he see..

hm i think ma long and zhang jike are really eye on eye. the last two times it was a big fight for my long and with the happy end. i think he will and zhang jike will play the olympics, if non of them is injured. zhang wins world cup and world championchip. ma long was world number 1 for one solid year and then had his injury for some month and felt to #5. the world championchips were his first real appearence after recovery und wang hao had a lot of luck in this match.
but then ma long won everything and went back straight to #1. thats why he will be the 2nd man at the olympics for sure. otherwise he should kick gouliangs ass!

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I think it's a shame but yea he seems to show poor sportsmanship time and time again. There was a time when I backed ZJK and said hey Ma Long fans suck it ZJK is the man. But to be honest I'd rather back Ma Long now, they were both class acts and ZJK was performing so well but his attitude stinks, I think Ma Long is a better athlete ALL ROUND

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I think the Chinese TT players has a lot to learn about respect with Tennis players in general.

I don't know if I can agree with this comment. If anything, overall the Chinese players are some of the most calm and respectful players out there. They don't do a lot of ridiculous and rash stuff that many other table tennis players do. I feel like there is a lot of built up resentment against Chinese players, because they dominate the sport, and because most of the people we meet on international forums are not Chinese, and therefore normally back western players, the resentment is magnified because you begin to think everyone has the same view as you and thus its OK.

People end up dwelling on every little thing that a Chinese player does that they feel is negative, while basically turning a blind eye on things that they do that exemplify their positive traits. The complaint of the original poster about the smiling in the match against Joo, is one clear example. One smile?!?! that frankly sounds pretty ridiculous of a complaint to me. Who knows what the context was, or what ZJK meant by it. Over the course of an entire game, players show a wide range of emotion, and that smile could be perfectly harmless with no ill will behind it. Joo has played in the Chines super league, been around the pro scene a long time, I doubt there is any ill will between him or ZJK. In fact the Chinese players tend to have a very good relationship with their japanese and korean counterparts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
As for the complaint about the interviews, as someone who grew up in the US, but speaks Chinese, those interviews are some of the most poorly translated things I have ever heard. A lot is lost in translation. The people the Chinese national team hire for those translations are awful, I without any training would be 10 times better than them.

And frankly, what some of you are labeling as cockiness and arrogance, from a different perspective could just be seen as a strong will to win and succeed. From the very start of a Chinese player's career, they are taught to want to win the point. I was in China at this little club, and played a 10 year old, and he was like so insanely gungho about winning each point, that for me as a more casual player, it seemed a little weird to me. But thats the attitude that they are bred to have in most of the Chinese system. When you are one of hundreds of thousands, doing anything, even if its something like being aggressive and showing the desire to win, as long as it may set you apart just a little from your peers is worth it.

I personally, like Ma Long more, but thats because I like the fluidity of his style more, but there is no denying that ZJK has amazing skills and potential. Some attitude injected into a sport is often good. After winning a major like the world championships, is it really that big of a deal to rip your shirt? People celebrate in different ways, who cares if ZJK chose this as his method of celebration.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I agree scylla. I also have to add, that by you all complaining about ZJK's attitude or perspective thereof, you are really diminishing our sport of TT. I never hear people complain about the football player, basketball player, soccer player, or even hockey players of the world who are arrogant and have a passion for winning. I never hear anything about the less popular sports of golf, soccer, and tennis when people are being arrogant.

It's really unfair of you guys to be bashing on a player like ZJK regardless of his attitude when if this were another athlete in another sport it would be deemed socially accepted. It just shows how low we regard our sport if we even regard it as one at all. If you're going to be complaining about small things like interviews or a forgotten handshake (I say forgotten because if he really didn't want to shake the guys hand he would have walked away rather than looking embarrassed and shaking the hand after it was offered) then you don't view our sport as serious when compared to any other sport.

I take TT seriously because frankly few do. Our sport is just as diverse as any other sport and should be recognized as such. You can dislike an athlete because of their personal attitudes towards others, or actions towards others, but if you're disliking them because of their winning a game and enjoying the win that says more about you than it does about them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
well, I don't really care about how he behaves. There are a lot of people who like his arrogance, but also there are many that don't. Above all, his backhand flip is awesome!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Again, that is pretty darn cocky, however he lives up to it, he has the WTTC and World Cup under his belt, what major competition does Ma Long have atm besides the Asian Games title?

Hey, personally, I love Zhang Jike. I think he is a great player and I have no problem with any of his extracurricular antics. But implying anything about what Ma Long has not won, when, right now he is the #1 ranked player and he was not invited to play in the World Cup. Ma Long has played Zhang Jike 2 times in tournaments recently. We don't know who would have won if Ma Long was invited. But Ma Long has been on fire and we do know who has won the last few times these two went head to head.

Both players, Ma Long and Zhang Jike are great and both are different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hey, personally, I love Zhang Jike. I think he is a great player and I have no problem with any of his extracurricular antics. But implying anything about what Ma Long has not won, when, right now he is the #1 ranked player and he was not invited to play in the World Cup. Ma Long has played Zhang Jike 2 times in tournaments recently. We don't know who would have won if Ma Long was invited. But Ma Long has been on fire and we do know who has won the last few times these two went head to head.

Both players, Ma Long and Zhang Jike are great and both are different.
Nah you misunderstand me, I don't mean to put down Ma Long, just used him simply as an example, I am saying ZJK currently has won some of the biggest titles so he can back up his cockiness. Don't get me wrong, I love Ma Long and I think he does hold the upperhand against ZJK. However when it comes down to backing up your "talk", ZJK has the titles under his belt to do so. Eg, if Ma Long were to act cocky, the most he could say in an interview outright would be "yeh I can beat ZJK so I'm the best", where as ZJK could simply just say "I won the WTTC and WC, have you Ma Long?" and all us fans can do is go on about "ifs", what IF Ma Long met ZJK before the finals in the WTTC, or what if Ma Long played in this WC? Well truth is, you could go on about what "ifs" forever, but in reality, ZJK has won it and can back up his attitude.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I just think that there is a fine line between cockiness and confidence. No doubt, ZJK is flying now and his confidence is sky high. But we must also respect our opponents, without good opponents you can't be great. So thanking your opponents and acknowledging their efforts should be the priority, not putting them down.

I remember The Greatest, Muhammad Ali (Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr) said. With all his over the top taunting and cockiness, he always acknowledge his opponents after a fight. He said, without Frazer, Spinks, Cooper, Liston etc..."I am no one without them". But that's boxing, it's part and parcel of the game.

For all it's worth, I have never seen or heard any pro tennis player saying or even acting disrespectfully to their opponents. Thanking your opponent first when you win is the true sign of a good sport. Nadal once said after he won the Wimbledon title, "I won because I was lucky. Federer was not on top of his game. On his good day he can beat me every time". Speaking like a true champion that he is.....

Mar 2011
I just think that there is a fine line between cockiness and confidence. No doubt, ZJK is flying now and his confidence is sky high. But we must also respect our opponents, without good opponents you can't be great. So thanking your opponents and acknowledging their efforts should be the priority, not putting them down.

I remember The Greatest, Muhammad Ali (Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr) said. With all his over the top taunting and cockiness, he always acknowledge his opponents after a fight. He said, without Frazer, Spinks, Cooper, Liston etc..."I am no one without them". But that's boxing, it's part and parcel of the game.

For all it's worth, I have never seen or heard any pro tennis player saying or even acting disrespectfully to their opponents. Thanking your opponent first when you win is the true sign of a good sport. Nadal once said after he won the Wimbledon title, "I won because I was lucky. Federer was not on top of his game. On his good day he can beat me every time". Speaking like a true champion that he is.....

About what ZJK said, I don't think his team mates even give a monkey. He probably was just screwing around, and the whole thing was taken out of context..probably.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Welcome to the forum Alcir :) , hope you have a fantastic time here.

Yeah, what interviews did he mention this in blahness and do we have the video where he didnt want to shake Chuang Chih Yuan's hand?

I'm a chinese and the interviews are pretty well known among the table tennis community where he says Wang Hao doesn't deserve to be the leader, and he himself should be the leader.

http://sports.163.com/11/0521/09/74ILIVL000051CAQ.html

He also says in another interview that Liu Shiwen is the women's version of Ma Long, and he likes to compare Ding Ning to himself, hinting that Liu Shiwen and Ma Long have weak mental strength and he and Ding Ning's are the strongest in terms of mental toughness. I can't find the link now but it is well known among Chinese table tennis forums.

This user has no status.

That is exactly my point. One really needs to respect one's opponents, whether they are performing well or not. There would be one day where he too will grow old and lose matches. How would he feel if his then superior opponents gloat and look down on him when he loses. Zhang Jike needs some education in sportsmanship.

This user has no status.
I agree scylla. I also have to add, that by you all complaining about ZJK's attitude or perspective thereof, you are really diminishing our sport of TT. I never hear people complain about the football player, basketball player, soccer player, or even hockey players of the world who are arrogant and have a passion for winning. I never hear anything about the less popular sports of golf, soccer, and tennis when people are being arrogant.

It's really unfair of you guys to be bashing on a player like ZJK regardless of his attitude when if this were another athlete in another sport it would be deemed socially accepted. It just shows how low we regard our sport if we even regard it as one at all. If you're going to be complaining about small things like interviews or a forgotten handshake (I say forgotten because if he really didn't want to shake the guys hand he would have walked away rather than looking embarrassed and shaking the hand after it was offered) then you don't view our sport as serious when compared to any other sport.

I take TT seriously because frankly few do. Our sport is just as diverse as any other sport and should be recognized as such. You can dislike an athlete because of their personal attitudes towards others, or actions towards others, but if you're disliking them because of their winning a game and enjoying the win that says more about you than it does about them.

I'm the biggest fan of Zhang Jike's technique. I believe that his technique is the most advanced in the whole world, even surpassing that of Ma Long. I even made a compilation of his videos showing his technique. But I dislike him because of his personal attitudes towards others, as you have said. I don't mind someone ripping or taking shirts off in celebration, heck he can strip naked if he really wants to.

This user has no status.
As for the complaint about the interviews, as someone who grew up in the US, but speaks Chinese, those interviews are some of the most poorly translated things I have ever heard. A lot is lost in translation. The people the Chinese national team hire for those translations are awful, I without any training would be 10 times better than them.

I am a Chinese myself, and I watch the interviews directly, not by translation.

This user has no status.
I don't know if I can agree with this comment. If anything, overall the Chinese players are some of the most calm and respectful players out there. They don't do a lot of ridiculous and rash stuff that many other table tennis players do. I feel like there is a lot of built up resentment against Chinese players, because they dominate the sport, and because most of the people we meet on international forums are not Chinese, and therefore normally back western players, the resentment is magnified because you begin to think everyone has the same view as you and thus its OK.

People end up dwelling on every little thing that a Chinese player does that they feel is negative, while basically turning a blind eye on things that they do that exemplify their positive traits. The complaint of the original poster about the smiling in the match against Joo, is one clear example. One smile?!?! that frankly sounds pretty ridiculous of a complaint to me. Who knows what the context was, or what ZJK meant by it. Over the course of an entire game, players show a wide range of emotion, and that smile could be perfectly harmless with no ill will behind it. Joo has played in the Chines super league, been around the pro scene a long time, I doubt there is any ill will between him or ZJK. In fact the Chinese players tend to have a very good relationship with their japanese and korean counterparts.

I respect Chinese players especially Kong Linghui, Liu Guoliang, Wang Liqin and Ma Long. I think the Chinese players are generally pretty respectful and friendly. Zhang Jike is the exception, unfortunately.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
if you're disliking them because of their winning a game and enjoying the win that says more about you than it does about them.

No one is bagging on him for winning games he just doesn't appear to have as much respect for his team mates as others and no we aren't 'diminishing our sport' that is a ridiculous claim, this is a forum and this is what it's for. Table Tennis as you have said before is about getting together and meeting people as well as competing, we are just saying that we don't approve of him publicly showing disrespect to his team mates, that's not what our sport is about and if you think it is maybe you are diminishing the sport not us.