Coaching Adult Learners

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
No need to make 1 more separate thread for receive, just tell the adult player to put long pips on their backhand for serve returns.

CHEATING EQUIPMENT !!! FOUL !!!

...or at least that is what I frequently hear. It pissed me off mightily when ITTF banned frictionless LPs, it put a lot of older players out of the sport in USA. I believe USA needs every player it can muster. I have a long forum history of supporting position of LP players - they have a place in the sport and no one or no assn should screw with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
CHEATING EQUIPMENT !!! FOUL !!!

...or at least that is what I frequently hear. It pissed me off mightily when ITTF banned frictionless LPs, it put a lot of older players out of the sport in USA. I believe USA needs every player it can muster. I have a long forum history of supporting position of LP players - they have a place in the sport and no one or no assn should screw with them.

Maybe you should open another thread to coach adults to use the friction long pips. The plastic ball is easier with long pips at the amateur level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
No need to make 1 more separate thread for receive, just tell the adult player to put long pips on their backhand for serve returns.

This would have capped my game at maybe 1500. It's much better to explain to the adult like a long pips player once told me that you will improve your touch and your spin read as you play more and more and these are the things that are most susceptible to experience and practice.

I like what Der-Echte started. Take me as an example, i started TT at 54yo. I live in a city of 400K on the East Coast of the US (In Virginia). There are 3 TT places in town and only one is a USATT club (we don't hold matches, just practice). It's mainly players that are 30+yo, no juniors to speak of.

No formal coaches available, some of the higher-rated players (1900-2000) can provide coaching on the side. I use YouTube for training.

There is a TT class at University of Virginia that I'd like to take, only issue is it starts weekdays at 5:00pm and it's an hour drive to get there. I could travel to the Washington DC area, that is a 2 hour drive (on a good day). This is the reason i use YouTube.

Here is the issue nobody is mentioning; us adults are working. Heck, 4 months of the year I'm working 50-55 hours each week. When will the coaching happen? Coaching would have to start about 10:00pm..

Two people in my club have travelled to China for training. That's an option I'll consider. It would be cool to train at a club in Paris (btw, I inquired about lessons in Paris this past September and was told I couldn't due to insurance reasons.. ).

If someone were to have an adult training camp in the US (summertime?) that might draw some players to travel to it. If the USATT organization wanted to grow this sport, there would be a traveling coach (around the major parts of the country).

@loopadoop. Yes, unfortunately USATT is only functioning for the national team (very short sighted). /sarcasm

I have been speaking to my council women about opening the TT center to the retirement homes (open play for seniors). There is therapeutic value and studies done (ie Alzheimer's) with TT. I mean they already pay for electricity and heating. They'll think about that for 6 months (and I'll nag them over and over).

Point being; more can be done with minor effort as there is somewhat of an infrastructure...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Jump in with a couple of thoughts.

I think this stuff is, in certain ways, less complicated than the discussion makes it seem. And in other ways, it is more complicated than it seems.

So, here, a few stories. And then I will see if I can say something meaningful. [emoji2]

There is this guy who coaches at SPiN NYC who really does no actual coaching. At his top level, this guy was somewhere around WR #30. So he is an amazing player even though he is close to 60 years old.

But, unless a player is over 2200 (USATT), it seems to me, there is not much this guy can teach the player.

But what he does is hit with them and make them have fun. It really should not be called coaching. But he has more adults paying him for “coaching” than any of the other coaches. And the reason is, when these guys are hitting with him, with no corrections, no drills, no coaching strategy that I can see whatsoever, they still are having tons of fun. This is, in part, because of how good this guy is at hitting with them and making it so they can make great returns and take big powerful shots successfully. And the ball just keeps coming back.

Now the interesting thing about this is, despite the fact that he is really not teaching them anything, he doesn’t correct stroke technique, footwork; he doesn’t even really cover strategy—even though he will play games and matches with most of the students—THEY STILL GET BETTER.

Part of this is that, if you play with someone who is that good, you WILL get better.

Second story:

I am finishing training with this guy who is a coach. I am doing a trade with him. I do stuff that helps his hip and back, he gives me a certain amount of time with him running me through drills and coaching.

His training me is coming to an end and this guy who is a 2100 Level pips player comes up. He nice talks me and starts hitting with me. He says things like: “you have gotten much better but you need to work on X....etc.”

Now, this guy is pretty darn good at match play and competition, but he really can’t move, his strokes are pretty terrible and if you gave him a double smooth racket instead of his Long Pips, Medium Pips setup, maybe he is 1500-1600. He is only this high a level because of tactics.

Anyway, later that day, this guy sends me a text saying he is a better coach than the guy I was training with and that if I took coaching from him, he guaranteed he could get me over 2000 in 6 months and he would only charge me an amount that was triple the amount that the 2500 level player I was training with would have charged me if I paid for a lesson.

My response to this guy was based on my interests: “Since I don’t care about my level, and all I care about is improving my technique, my strokes and my footwork, and since you don’t know how to do or teach those things, thank you for your generous offer, but I am not interested in what you actually could teach me.”

Story #3:

This other guy, Edmund Suen, who is a pretty great player, when I still was pretty low level, grabbed me, started hitting with me and training me, showed me the technical stuff I really needed to work on to fix the mechanical issues in my strokes, and worked with me an amazing amount to help me improve. Without Edmund, my strokes, particularly my FH stroke would be absolutely terrible. He helped me with all those technical details I was actually interested in with hours of training week after week month after month for a few years and never asked for a thing in return. And man we had so much fun training.

I think, some of why he was so able to help me was, he technically knew what I needed to work on and he was not encumbered by wanting money for service. When I made a shot, and it went on the table, but the stroke was bad, he would stop me and make me do the ”right” technique.

For me, improving the technique was what I was interested in. But that really doesn’t necessarily cause your level to go up. And, starting at 44, I think a lot of what Baal said about technique not looking so smooth for adult learners definitely resonates for me.

The interesting side effect of this is that, if I train with someone who is a coach and in that 2500 level, they will, at first be impressed with my technique and think I am a higher level than I am. And then they will see me play matches with people my actual level and see the things that are holding back my further development and keeping my game skill level kind of low.

And, if I had wanted to get to a higher level without improving my technique, the pips guy probably could have helped me a decent amount.

==

So, let’s see if I can turn this into some useful info:

1) What good coaching actually is, would really depend on the goals of the student. This is important and often it is left out in these kinds of discussions.

2) Some people want to improve technique and this may happen without significant increase in level.

3) Some people want to increase level and this can happen without significant increase in technique.

4) You can increase game skill level and technical skill sets. But this is harder than either 2 or 3 alone.

5) So much of what a coach can actually do to help an adult learner to improve has to do with the adult learner’s interests, goals, life situation and ability to spend time in productive training.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A last thought on some of the stuff Baal said about coaches training adults the way they were trained as children and causing injuries.

There are parallels like that in Yoga and Martial Arts where, the way they were taught to children in the east is how they are being taught to adults in the West who did not do these things as children.

So, this is a common problem. And it is interesting how it happens across so many different disciplines.

The specifics may be different, but the general tendency is that people don’t do such a good job examining how a specific student should be worked with for that specific students actual needs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Jump in with a couple of thoughts.

I think this stuff is, in certain ways, less complicated than the discussion makes it seem. And in other ways, it is more complicated than it seems.

So, here, a few stories. And then I will see if I can say something meaningful. [emoji2]

There is this guy who coaches at SPiN NYC who really does no actual coaching. At his top level, this guy was somewhere around WR #30. So he is an amazing player even though he is close to 60 years old.

But, unless a player is over 2200 (USATT), it seems to me, there is not much this guy can teach the player.

But what he does is hit with them and make them have fun. It really should not be called coaching. But he has more adults paying him for “coaching” than any of the other coaches. And the reason is, when these guys are hitting with him, with no corrections, no drills, no coaching strategy that I can see whatsoever, they still are having tons of fun. This is, in part, because of how good this guy is at hitting with them and making it so they can make great returns and take big powerful shots successfully. And the ball just keeps coming back.

Now the interesting thing about this is, despite the fact that he is really not teaching them anything, he doesn’t correct stroke technique, footwork; he doesn’t even really cover strategy—even though he will play games and matches with most of the students—THEY STILL GET BETTER.

Part of this is that, if you play with someone who is that good, you WILL get better.

Second story:

I am finishing training with this guy who is a coach. I am doing a trade with him. I do stuff that helps his hip and back, he gives me a certain amount of time with him running me through drills and coaching.

His training me is coming to an end and this guy who is a 2100 Level pips player comes up. He nice talks me and starts hitting with me. He says things like: “you have gotten much better but you need to work on X....etc.”

Now, this guy is pretty darn good at match play and competition, but he really can’t move, his strokes are pretty terrible and if you gave him a double smooth racket instead of his Long Pips, Medium Pips setup, maybe he is 1500-1600. He is only this high a level because of tactics.

Anyway, later that day, this guy sends me a text saying he is a better coach than the guy I was training with and that if I took coaching from him, he guaranteed he could get me over 2000 in 6 months and he would only charge me an amount that was triple the amount that the 2500 level player I was training with would have charged me if I paid for a lesson.

My response to this guy was based on my interests: “Since I don’t care about my level, and all I care about is improving my technique, my strokes and my footwork, and since you don’t know how to do or teach those things, thank you for your generous offer, but I am not interested in what you actually could teach me.”

Story #3:

This other guy, Edmund Suen, who is a pretty great player, when I still was pretty low level, grabbed me, started hitting with me and training me, showed me the technical stuff I really needed to work on to fix the mechanical issues in my strokes, and worked with me an amazing amount to help me improve. Without Edmund, my strokes, particularly my FH stroke would be absolutely terrible. He helped me with all those technical details I was actually interested in with hours of training week after week month after month for a few years and never asked for a thing in return. And man we had so much fun training.

I think, some of why he was so able to help me was, he technically knew what I needed to work on and he was not encumbered by wanting money for service. When I made a shot, and it went on the table, but the stroke was bad, he would stop me and make me do the ”right” technique.

For me, improving the technique was what I was interested in. But that really doesn’t necessarily cause your level to go up. And, starting at 44, I think a lot of what Baal said about technique not looking so smooth for adult learners definitely resonates for me.

The interesting side effect of this is that, if I train with someone who is a coach and in that 2500 level, they will, at first be impressed with my technique and think I am a higher level than I am. And then they will see me play matches with people my actual level and see the things that are holding back my further development and keeping my game skill level kind of low.

And, if I had wanted to get to a higher level without improving my technique, the pips guy probably could have helped me a decent amount.

==

So, let’s see if I can turn this into some useful info:

1) What good coaching actually is, would really depend on the goals of the student. This is important and often it is left out in these kinds of discussions.

2) Some people want to improve technique and this may happen without significant increase in level.

3) Some people want to increase level and this can happen without significant increase in technique.

4) You can increase game skill level and technical skill sets. But this is harder than either 2 or 3 alone.

5) So much of what a coach can actually do to help an adult learner to improve has to do with the adult learner’s interests, goals, life situation and ability to spend time in productive training.

You actually made me rethink a few things. I thought that improving your technique and your overall level goes hand in hand, more or less. Kinda surprised that one has to specifically distinguish these things. Since at my club we do not get any formal coaching, I thought about travelling to the next big city sometime next year in order to get some proper (adult) coaching. Whether I get some "suitable" adult coaching however lies in the stars... I'm in my 30s, but still look like a teenager. So I might end up getting some different coaching...haha :)
Regarding the coach in story No. 1: I would still consider it actual coaching, but it's apparantly a different approach, more like learning-by-doing-coaching. After all it is the purpose that the student improves and he seems to be successful with his methods (personally I would prefer a more formal approach, doing multiball, 3-point-ball etc.)
And the charismatic guy in your second story promised quite a lot for less money, right?!? Was this guy by any chance Donald Trump...:D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And the charismatic guy in your second story promised quite a lot for less money, right?!? Was this guy by any chance Donald Trump...:D

Perhaps your joking or maybe you missed it.

The guy in the second story who promised getting me over 2000 was telling me he would only charge me $100.00 per hour. Whereas, the 2500 level coach I had trained with, if I wasn’t doing an exchange, would charge me $30.00. So, $30.00 or an exchange of services, with a 2500 level coach, to me, seems much more valuable than paying a joker who has poor technique to tell me things like, “serve the ball wider to the BH.”

This same guy who so generously offered to train me for only $100.00, when he hurt his back and wanted my help, he generously offered me $40.00 for me to help his back with no thought to the idea that I am a professional and actually have a rate. [emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Perhaps your joking and you missed it. But the guy in the second story who promised getting me over 2000 was telling me he would only Charge me $100.00 per hour. When the 2500 level coach I had trained with, when I wasn’t doing an exchange, would charge me $30.00.

This same guy who so generously offered to train me for only $100.00, when he hurt his back and wanted my help, he generously offered me $40.00 for me to help his back with no thought to the idea that I am a professional and actually have a rate. [emoji2]

Ooops, my bad. Funny story anyway... :D Might have been a relative of Trump, who knows...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You actually made me rethink a few things. I thought that improving your technique and your overall level goes hand in hand, more or less. Kinda surprised that one has to specifically distinguish these things.

There are a few posts which imply this without explicitly stating it.

This excerpt is one:

Coaches who are good with adults don't try to correct every technical flaw but can help a player get better with what they have.

Competition is ok if you accept that some adult bad habits and inefficiencies will never go away no matter what you do. People play to have fun. If someone enjoys competition, they should do it. Life is too short not to have fun.

One statement was, about adult learners not being willing to take a certain amount of time where their level gets worse before they get better.

This is often what happens when you take the bad habits and poor mechanics of an adult learner’s strokes and get them to focus on the neuromuscular repatterning that needs to happen to get the mechanics of a better stroke into their muscle memory. Until the better stroke is fully into muscle memory, which could take months or years, the player will get worse because now they don’t fully have the old bad habits any more even though they keep reverting to them. And they don’t have the new mechanics either.

This quote had that idea that gains in technique can go hand and hand with drops in actual game skill levels:

Having said that, any real gains in technical things are darned difficult to immediately show in competitive match play. Often, like you said, there is a DECREASE in performance.

But yeah, it is worth assessing your own goals in playing, training and seeking coaching. [emoji2]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This would have capped my game at maybe 1500. It's much better to explain to the adult like a long pips player once told me that you will improve your touch and your spin read as you play more and more and these are the things that are most susceptible to experience and practice.

If anyone has seen NL's BH in person, forcing him to put LP on BH would be like forcing him to replace a bazooka with a slingshot or a peashooter.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NL would have gone on the only direction remaining, get a Gergely OFF ++ slap on OX LP and bang away at those underspins like a Korean Achuma. Some of them make 1800 level doing that. Somehow they all hate my serves, never figured out why all the hate. Almost nothing pleases me in TT that watching a player receive my serve with LP and not even make it to the net.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
NL would have gone on the only direction remaining, get a Gergely OFF ++ slap on OX LP and bang away at those underspins like a Korean Achuma. Some of them make 1800 level doing that. Somehow they all hate my serves, never figured out why all the hate. Almost nothing pleases me in TT that watching a player receive my serve with LP and not even make it to the net.

That is the weakness of many lp players, a little coaching, then no problems, then watch out they might beat you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is the weakness of many lp players, a little coaching, then no problems, then watch out they might beat you.

Der and NL are very good vs LP. Der might be 3 levels higher against LP than he is against an offensive player who can put him under pressure.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Why does it have to be an adult training camp? There are a number of clubs that have summer camps that are all or mostly kids, but adults can join too. MDTTC may be the closest to you. I spent two weeks there in August 2014 and had a great time. One week I was the only grown-up (45 and the next oldest camper was 14). The other week there was another adult who came with his daughter. No big deal.

Reactions: pgpg