Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
played yday for the 1st time in 2019 and 2nd time today.
yesterday was really terrible, played with my usual buddies, and lost 0-6, 0-3 and 1-3, scoring often less than 5 per set, and the set i won just because my partner had not her usual focus.

Today i lost a guy i beat always very easily LOL, but i didn't play seriously... good to him. However i had a good knock before that with a young girl who is very strong, many levels above me, I wouldn't be surprised if she plays in national championships, at least at the uni level. She graciously mostly blocked for me, but she did show me her strong topspin and it was really powerful spinny and ultra consistent. I could block her FH when it was in diagonal, but impossible to block more than 3 in a row if played straight to my BH. 1H of practice with her killed me...

Her name was Ishikawa and she was a leftie, it felt to me like I was playing Kasumi lol !!!

my form is at a local low i hope it will get better again to peak for this month end tournament and 2 weeks later our team tournament. I prefer that to the contrary !

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der_Echte is American, but spent quite some time in Germany (and Korea too) - I guess that's where he got infected with TT virus :rolleyes:

Infection occurred in Iraq. I was known there as Deetch-Almani …. the German Rooster.

However, a German dude gave my first real bat there.

This topic comes up from time to time.

I can say I lived a number of years in Germany, but it was all before I started TT.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der_Echte is American, but spent quite some time in Germany (and Korea too) - I guess that's where he got infected with TT virus :rolleyes:

I have not so much to do today, i am bored so i write to much here haha. Please say stop if its to much. I would like to share that i played my first competition since like almost 7-10 years last sunday. it was fun! It was not a real tournament, but more like a fun one were you only play doubles. I played with my friend Johan! We played pretty good and came at 4th place. I think we should be happy with that since Johan is not as good as those we lost against, they play some divisions higher than him. Johan had also not practiced much during christmas and i had practiced to much so i had shoulder problems. Pretty comical really. Those we lost against have played alot together aswell, almost 15 years since they started in the same club and johan and i had never played a ball together.

I think i will try to play it again next year. It is fun to play doubles because you do not play that so much. I will also consider starting playing some more. Unfortunally i must have played to much or something since after the tournament my left foot become very swollen and still is, and i have trouble walking on it. Have anyone experienced something like this? very strange! So i can not practice at the moment which is boring, but i think it will be good again after some rest so will be at the table soon again :)

Yup I say doubles is a whole new animal over singles.

Sounds like you tweeked both Ur ankle and shoulder. Easy to tweek ankle as a young person but us geezers... real easy to do so

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

I thought you did not play anymore. Is this a comeback? :)

Yup I say doubles is a whole new animal over singles.

Sounds like you tweeked both Ur ankle and shoulder. Easy to tweek ankle as a young person but us geezers... real easy to do so

A animal that suited us pretty okay! I think i am more likely to have shoulder problem since i play with short pimple on the forehand. With short pimple i think it is important to stop the stroke after you hit the ball. I think the stopping part is hard for my shoulder since i need to tense a little to stop the motion. With inverted rubber i feel that you can be a little more relaxed and have little more follow through.

What i have heard is that it is proably that i have trained to much, that the foot is overworked. But i trained alot more before and this never happened so i think it is pretty strange.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Somewhat. I have accepted that my technique and my movement are not going to improve as my body is too injured to support real training so I just have to play a lot and get smarter. And rest for long periods of time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

A animal that suited us pretty okay! I think i am more likely to have shoulder problem since i play with short pimple on the forehand. With short pimple i think it is important to stop the stroke after you hit the ball. I think the stopping part is hard for my shoulder since i need to tense a little to stop the motion. With inverted rubber i feel that you can be a little more relaxed and have little more follow through.

What i have heard is that it is proably that i have trained to much, that the foot is overworked. But i trained alot more before and this never happened so i think it is pretty strange.

For the ankle.just be careful. It is easy to think that playing causes it when it can be a symptom of something unrelated to or just made worse by playing .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Lula: I have lots of experience of twisted ankles from training athletics and orienteering for about 30 years. It really helps to walk and jog even if it hurts. The blood circulation is quite poor in the foot so anything that will get the blood flowing is good for the healing even it's quite painful. The worst you can do is rest but be careful not to twist it again in the near future as the tendons are a bit like rubber bands. Every time you twist it it will get more stretched (and you will twist it more easily).

And yes - you can twist it without even noticing it when it happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Somewhat. I have accepted that my technique and my movement are not going to improve as my body is too injured to support real training so I just have to play a lot and get smarter. And rest for long periods of time.

Sorry to hear about the injuries. Injuries sucks! I think you are correct that you can try to play smarter. Use alot of good placement, alot of variation in pace, speed and spin and practice alot of serve and return. I think it is a smart idea to try to watch the opponent alot, and not the ball so it will be easier to move a little before they hit and work with the overall sense of playing so you can read the game good. If you read the game good you proably do not need so fast footwork. I think waldner is a good example of this, he was pretty fat and slow in the last years of his career but could still keep up proably alot due to he was good at reading the game.

For the ankle.just be careful. It is easy to think that playing causes it when it can be a symptom of something unrelated to or just made worse by playing .

Yeah good thinking! I will be careful! thank you!

Lula: I have lots of experience of twisted ankles from training athletics and orienteering for about 30 years. It really helps to walk and jog even if it hurts. The blood circulation is quite poor in the foot so anything that will get the blood flowing is good for the healing even it's quite painful. The worst you can do is rest but be careful not to twist it again in the near future as the tendons are a bit like rubber bands. Every time you twist it it will get more stretched (and you will twist it more easily).

I do not think i have twisted the ankle but i will still try to follow your advice. I noticed today that i feel a little better when i move around and do stuff.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Haha quadruple haha.. ORIENTEERNG ???!!! Haven't heard of the sport in over 35 years !!

I really liked orienteering back then and others thought I was crazy to like it. Fact is there is a LOT to like about orienteering... challenge for self and competition vs others to boot.

I heard it was big in Sweden... and too bad I didn't live in Sweden.

EDIT: I like the principle of moving the injury before its limit and the principle of increasing blood flow. The body has a lot of amazing powers to heal itself. Ligiments in particular do not get a lot of blood flow to begin with so extra important.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Orienteering (OL) has the same kind appeal as TT to me. You have to use your brain while doing a physical activity.

It’s not really a big sport here but it’s taught in schools and is a mandatory part of PE. You’ll get a shit PE grade without mastering a map and a compass. Most kids grow up to hate it. You’ll find the sport in most countries where cross country skiing is a thing (Nordics, Russia, Switzerland and a few others). It’s quite common that a club is a combined XC and OL club.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I had just like to say how much I hate doubles. Like sure it’s an extra game I get to play on match night, but I’m just so bad at taking another human next to me into consideration when I play my shots...

Why do you hate it?

I think it pretty interesting, feel that it is more about tactic, thought how you need to play and placement compared to singles because like you said you need to consider your playing partner. I do think it is much tougher since you need to move alot more.

This user has no status.
Why do you hate it?

I think it pretty interesting, feel that it is more about tactic, thought how you need to play and placement compared to singles because like you said you need to consider your playing partner. I do think it is much tougher since you need to move alot more.
Absolutely, I’m just bad at it.

This user has no status.
Haha okey, then i understand that it is not much fun. It is more fun to play good and win! :)

Why are you bad at it?
It’s just that my ten years of training has been mostly singles with very minimal doubles training. I’m definitely improving but it’s just a whole different ball game (not literally lol)