Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Today I managed to bring one of my buddies to a coaching lesson with Ryusuke Sakamoto.

My buddy used to play a lot TT in his youth and have a very good level, probably above 2000 equivalent in US (35 in old French system). He didn’t play much at all in the last years but he’s in very good physical condition, goes to gym runs marathon etc...

Well he was very satisfied with the experience. For example ,with a few words his topspin against under spin ball went from very little consistency to very consistent on both wings ( lacking power though).

I will repeat it to anyone who wants to get better at this sport but doesn’t know it yet: if there is a good coach around you, and if TT is your passion, spend time with him ! If you cannot afford weekly lessons, cut on cigarettes cakes and the unnecessary stuff, I’m sure that you can afford once a month.

Well once a month is less than once a week but it’s still incredibly useful. The good coach will correct your strokes and tell you what to work on till next time

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
White ash is already quite a bit harder than Koto, harder even than walnut, and Wenge is quite a bit harder, even? Does that help you change your game away from more or less exclusive spin-orientation?

My contact depth even for spin has always been relatively deep and with my knees I might need to push a lot. I am experimenting though so it will be a while before I can say I am done with the process.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Today I managed to bring one of my buddies to a coaching lesson with Ryusuke Sakamoto.

My buddy used to play a lot TT in his youth and have a very good level, probably above 2000 equivalent in US (35 in old French system). He didn’t play much at all in the last years but he’s in very good physical condition, goes to gym runs marathon etc...

Well he was very satisfied with the experience. For example ,with a few words his topspin against under spin ball went from very little consistency to very consistent on both wings ( lacking power though).

I will repeat it to anyone who wants to get better at this sport but doesn’t know it yet: if there is a good coach around you, and if TT is your passion, spend time with him ! If you cannot afford weekly lessons, cut on cigarettes cakes and the unnecessary stuff, I’m sure that you can afford once a month.

Well once a month is less than once a week but it’s still incredibly useful. The good coach will correct your strokes and tell you what to work on till next time

I agree that a good coach is very important. Otherwise maybe we implementing and practicing shots with wrong technique which is not good. I believe alot in "shadow play", do not know the name in english. It is easier to have the correct technique without a ball. Almost waste of time when they play alot of balls over the table with wrong technique. But my students do not take it seriously.

Oh, it is great that he is coaching! Is he playing aswell? He used to play in the swedish league for the club where i trained. I remember that he had a very good backhand.

If you can get private coaching with him, you seem to have great opportunities to become good at tabletennis! Is there alot of private coaching in Japan?

This user has no status.
I agree that a good coach is very important. Otherwise maybe we implementing and practicing shots with wrong technique which is not good. I believe alot in "shadow play", do not know the name in english. It is easier to have the correct technique without a ball. Almost waste of time when they play alot of balls over the table with wrong technique. But my students do not take it seriously.

Oh, it is great that he is coaching! Is he playing aswell? He used to play in the swedish league for the club where i trained. I remember that he had a very good backhand.

If you can get private coaching with him, you seem to have great opportunities to become good at tabletennis! Is there alot of private coaching in Japan?

No he is not playing anymore. He's doing a lot of TT stuff. He's the coach and manager of TT Saitama, he's doing promotion, doing TV or Radio, DVDs, and he has his own school. Other TTD members have been visiting him, and one TTD member is even doing some part time there. Sakamoto has less and less time for coaching

There are many TT schools in Japan and many coaches of various levels available all over the country.

Yes i think a lot of people take bad habits if they're not properly coached, so at some stage they either stagnate or progress slowly while the learning potential is still there and the learning curve still steep. Of course its better to work with a good coach early in your TT life to have good foundations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How come you live in Japan if you are French? But your name seems asian? Sorry for the personal question, but i am curious.

This user has no status.
How come you live in Japan if you are French? But your name seems asian? Sorry for the personal question, but i am curious.

been living here for nearly 20 years.

Takkyu_wa_Inochi is not my name , its whats written on my TT shirt (from TSP) which means in Japanese something like "TT is my life"

are you the real Lula ? I thought he was in prison ? Is Next Level a common name in Nigeria ?

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What are Akkad Plies?
Nexy Korea never really tells me or anyone what plies he uses for his blades very much... so it is a guess.

My guess is Kiri core burned with ayous and limba middle plies and Wenger outer plies.

He told us the outer plies.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Triple haha.

I have a German screen name, a Korean country flag on my profile, and say I am in California... and they are all correkt in one way or another... and I am very white skin dude born in a ghetto.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Today was (probably) my last training session. I played with my usual buddy E.

After a long warmup, he wants to play a match with me, and he's very much in form and takes the 1st set 11-5. In the 2nd set he is unstoppable and is 10-0 ahead with the service. He's not giving a mercy point and makes a normal serve. Then I do what I always do in this situation, i lose the point on purpose, not trying to make a receive, and 0-11 !!!! I'm down 0-2 setwise !

E is very merry and when we change sides he can't help making a light joke ! At this point, E is playing very well and I'm totally dominated, my serve/receive is not good despite the fact thats where I need to be strong to have a chance to beat E.

When i feel lost, i recoup my forces and try to think only about fundamentals: keep the body low, bend over the upper body, be more relaxed when serving, always think about getting ready for the next ball...

and suddenly what a change, all my strokes come on the table, it's like if i had won instantly 3 ranking levels. Its total champagne table tennis, i become pumped up and I win the next 3 sets 11-3 13-11 11-8 !!!

I believe E is still shocked and doesn't understand what happened LOL

This user has no status.

After a long warmup, he wants to play a match with me, and he's very much in form and takes the 1st set 11-5. In the 2nd set he is unstoppable and is 10-0 ahead with the service. He's not giving a mercy point and makes a normal serve. Then I do what I always do in this situation, i lose the point on purpose, not trying to make a receive, and 0-11 !!!! I'm down 0-2 setwise !

E is very merry and when we change sides he can't help making a light joke ! At this point, E is playing very well and I'm totally dominated, my serve/receive is not good despite the fact thats where I need to be strong to have a chance to beat E.

When i feel lost, i recoup my forces and try to think only about fundamentals: keep the body low, bend over the upper body, be more relaxed when serving, always think about getting ready for the next ball...

and suddenly what a change, all my strokes come on the table, it's like if i had won instantly 3 ranking levels. Its total champagne table tennis, i become pumped up and I win the next 3 sets 11-3 13-11 11-8 !!!

I hope you made a light joke at the end...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

Well done! You are a good storyteller aswell! I think getting ready for the next ball is most important, to always try to plan. But i do not understand why you did not tried to win the ball at 0-10?

This user has no status.
@Lula

because nobody does that. Usually 10-0 there is a mercy point. Well i can't do anything if I'm down 0-10 and the other guys makes a net serve obviously, else, my strategy is to give away this point. Its psychological warfare. Because *I* decided to give it away, i feel in control. Then the other guy winning 11-0 will always lose a bit of concentration in my experience, like being overjoyed, and feel frustration when in the next set he starts losing early some points.

If this is match point my stance will change of course, I will play the point.

Try it next time !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I guess it depends on the individual , I agree with you only partially. That is if they give me a mercy point I give it back the next point. However, if they don't, or if I am serving I always try to win the point .. the idea is to try and get a flurry or points or play a great point to send the message that you are going to get him on the next one. As I said , these are "to each his own" kind of scenario
@Lula

because nobody does that. Usually 10-0 there is a mercy point. Well i can't do anything if I'm down 0-10 and the other guys makes a net serve obviously, else, my strategy is to give away this point. Its psychological warfare. Because *I* decided to give it away, i feel in control. Then the other guy winning 11-0 will always lose a bit of concentration in my experience, like being overjoyed, and feel frustration when in the next set he starts losing early some points.

If this is match point my stance will change of course, I will play the point.

Try it next time !