Remove Varnish question

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good sealant should sink into the wood. Sanding till it is gone could remove a lot of wood.

You may want to find out what solvents are the solvents for the particular sealant you used and use that. Like it may be mineral spirits.

But, not sure removing sealant makes sense on a blade.

This user has no status.
Good sealant should sink into the wood. Sanding till it is gone could remove a lot of wood.

You may want to find out what solvents are the solvents for the particular sealant you used and use that. Like it may be mineral spirits.

But, not sure removing sealant makes sense on a blade.

Handle Wise? i used Dhs One

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Handle Wise? i used Dhs One

Now what made you seal your handle? :) I would still use a solvent to remove that. But, it is true, it could remove the nice colors of the handle. LOL. Why would you seal the handle? Why would you care about the colors? :)

Okay. Maybe some people would care about those things. I guess I am not concerned about the aesthetics of my blades. When my hand is on the handle, nobody can see it. When my hand is not on my handle, it is clear that I have sweat lots on my handle so it does not look very pretty anymore. :) I like my blades to be battle worn when they have legitimately earned that honor.

But, anyway, from a functional standpoint, the wood they use for handles is very soft and porous so that it will absorb sweat. That makes it much more likely that the sealant would sink pretty deep into the handle. That also means, if you try to sand the sealant away, it could work. Or you could end up with a popsicle stick for a handle. If the later, you may not retain the color of the handle either.

With solvent, you will remove whatever the solvent dissolves. That may just be the sealant. But it may be some of the wood coloring as well. So the handle may not look new anymore. But it will still be the same size and shape as it was before you used the solvent. So, from a functional standpoint, solvent is the safer option.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I have an old blade which I sealed it with nail polish many years ago. Recently I tried to use the same blade but found out the water based latex glue didn't stick well. So I use a 400 grit sand paper to remove the vanish. I didn't try to sand it down too much. Now it sticks very well with latex based glue to my rubbers.