2019 Asian Cup April 5-7

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Courtesy game granted.

Reactions: langel
This user has no status.
Once again, CNT largely defeated the JNT. I am sad to see that the public showed little enthusiasm to support their players. Chinese fans were making more noise. I was about the only one to shout for the JNT players and I’m not even Japanese...

Only Harimoto had a little chance against FZD. He’s got the shots but he’s not consistent enough. He needs near perfection and/or luck to win. After he lost the 4th it was clearly game over.
Against FZD his serves were quite effective but his BH was not effective enough

Reactions: NextLevel and zeio

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Once again, CNT largely defeated the JNT. I am sad to see that the public showed little enthusiasm to support their players. Chinese fans were making more noise. I was about the only one to shout for the JNT players and I’m not even Japanese...

At least there is some audience in Japan, if I compare this to the empty World Tour Finale in Korea...

Jan 2018

Only Harimoto had a little chance against FZD. He’s got the shots but he’s not consistent enough. He needs near perfection and/or luck to win. After he lost the 4th it was clearly game over.
Against FZD his serves were quite effective but his BH was not effective enough

The Japanese crowd is very reserved when it comes to that. I miss those bam bams at the WTTC 2014.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Jan 2018
That's new. Can't find anything. Could it be Liu Yanjun of Austria? He happens to be the coach of the T League team Kinoshita she is on. She mentioned him in a recent Butterfly interview.
Table Tennis Kingdom picked it up today. They also speculate it is the work of Liu Yanjun.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
@zeio
funny as usual for Ishikawa

I feel for her. She lost 1-11 in the 1st game. She wasn't even playing bad. Its just CM was stronger and winning all the rallies. Add a few cheap points due to mistakes and thats quick.

Thanks to some vocal support (including mine :) she found some energy to put a decent showing, even it was clear she was playing like she already lost, despite some tchoooo from her side.

My friend who came with me said that the problem with Kasumi is that she is not creative at all. She is just repeating patterns from training, and she's too predictable. And because the Chinese are more consistent, then there can't be any surprise about the result as well.

in some sense, Hirano is doing the same now as Kasumi.

The only little innovation I've seen today, is the strawberry receive that she borrowed from ITO, and which had some success today. Else its more of the same. And she's not taking enough risks with her 3rd ball. Even when she wins rallies its too much effort. Often its after being passive for many shots and finally she finds an opening. OTOH, CM is often able to win rallies with 1 or 2 attacks only. in the game that she won, she changed things a little bit but CM quickly reacted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
The irony of a Japanese player not being creative lol
It’s April 2019 already and the only victory Japan has had over the Chinese on the women’s side is Hayata’s victory over Liu Shiwen. Judging by current trends Japan doesn’t seem ready to take China come 2020. They’ll need at least 2 players capable of taking down the Chinese to win in the team event and Ito’s status as a Chinese slayer isn’t solidified as of yet.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
@zeio
funny as usual for Ishikawa

I feel for her. She lost 1-11 in the 1st game. She wasn't even playing bad. Its just CM was stronger and winning all the rallies. Add a few cheap points due to mistakes and thats quick.

Thanks to some vocal support (including mine :) she found some energy to put a decent showing, even it was clear she was playing like she already lost, despite some tchoooo from her side.

My friend who came with me said that the problem with Kasumi is that she is not creative at all. She is just repeating patterns from training, and she's too predictable. And because the Chinese are more consistent, then there can't be any surprise about the result as well.

in some sense, Hirano is doing the same now as Kasumi.

The only little innovation I've seen today, is the strawberry receive that she borrowed from ITO, and which had some success today. Else its more of the same. And she's not taking enough risks with her 3rd ball. Even when she wins rallies its too much effort. Often its after being passive for many shots and finally she finds an opening. OTOH, CM is often able to win rallies with 1 or 2 attacks only. in the game that she won, she changed things a little bit but CM quickly reacted.

I do not see this problem as lack of creativity. She is just worse player and that is it. She has same problem like Mizutani, they cannot beat top chinese players because they are not agressive and they do not have power in their shots (few years ago I heard mizutani complaing about power in his FH).Top chinese players have both wings BH and FH and if not they have one wing perfect. Mizutani and Ishikawa do not have both wings and do not have one wing perfect. That is why they cannot win rallies. What they can do is work on serves to get easy 3rd ball.
New generation like Ito and Harimoto have enough power to fight chinese - they just need more time to get experience and variation.

Jan 2018
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/04/06/kiji/20190406s00026000376000c.html
「今は悲しい気持ちです。試合中に早く帰りたいと思った。こういうのは初めて。本当にどうしようもなかった」
「はじめのうちは向こうが慣れていなくて、いい勝負ができたりしたが、今は僕のサーブ、レシーブが効かない。やりやすそうにプレーしている」
「通用した部分はないです」
"Now I feel sad. I wanted to go home early in the game. This is the first time I've felt this. I couldn't help it."
"He wasn't used to that at first, so I was able to play a good game, but now my serve and receive don't work."
"Nothing worked on him."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Jan 2018
That should be obvious.

Reactions: NextLevel